Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of aftermarket stereo installs, most oem systems are doable, but leave a lot to be desired (I hated the one that came with my 350z). Anyone planning to fabricate a headunit install with a double din unit? From my understanding there are no aftermarket stereo bezels or kits available for the veloster, so one would have to be fabricated.

Anyone else looking to build up a better sound system?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been looking at NAV units for my truck lately. I've kinda narrowed it down to the Pioneer AVIC-940BT.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the premium package for the VT comes with navagation and all of that though..im comming from a 525I to this veloster...so its going to be a big change for me but alot of the factory stereos are pretty good anymore...cause they know that can be a selling point for some

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
I don't see any major reason to upgrade from stock. what is it, 450w, 8-speakers + a external sub/amp... will be plenty for me, coming from my 130watts in the Jeep. Could always add an amp and upgrade speakers if need be, but I don't get what else would be needed from a new unit.. maybe I am just not that 'into' head units as I used to be.

you will have navigation
you will have hands free bluetooth
mp3 CD playback
be able to hookup an MP3 player directly

the only thing I see it missing is DVD playback and an attached hard drive to load music and media onto.

Will also have integrated navigation and lots of other OEM neat stuff built in. What else would you need?

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have no problem with the set up in the car right now so I see no need to change it in the future. I will be adding am external dcs setup in the glove box for about $300.. That's the only thing that I could ask for..

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
also, from what I saw in some pictures, there will be DIVX playback also!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am happy to say I never got bit by the audio bug, I say that because I have friends who did, and wow, this kinda stuff is expensive...
Whatever comes in the VT that has the sunroof will be what I get, and it will be fine for me and my low standards
I can't wait though to see what you crazy guys do and come up with

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have anyone taken the head unit out before??

I know I'm digging up a really old post... but I got the VT without the ultimate package, and I want to add a back up camera, which I can add through the AUX port. But I believe the HU have input for the camera and reverse trigger already built in, just not the camera.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Please update this thread (or make a new one) if you ever do - I'd be curious for my base VT too. This camera seemed pretty good - Smallest Car Rear View Camera [1087] - US$23.90 : Cars-electronics.com
Have anyone taken the head unit out before??

I know I'm digging up a really old post... but I got the VT without the ultimate package, and I want to add a back up camera, which I can add through the AUX port. But I believe the HU have input for the camera and reverse trigger already built in, just not the camera.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Only a hardcore audiophile would need to change the stock head unit, it would open up more tune ability for the source being sent thru the system.... this also can be achieved with the use of a line driver and pre-amp crossover... all of which is very expensive unless you do it yourself and know what you are doing. Adding subs is pretty ez, an so is replacing the stock speakers. However just replacing the stock speakers does not always translate to better sound... piggy backing amps is a very real option and i recommend doing that. Line level convertors would be essential in achieving this very cheaply.
I don't see any major reason to upgrade from stock. what is it, 450w, 8-speakers + a external sub/amp... will be plenty for me, coming from my 130watts in the Jeep. Could always add an amp and upgrade speakers if need be, but I don't get what else would be needed from a new unit.. maybe I am just not that 'into' head units as I used to be.

you will have navigation
you will have hands free bluetooth
mp3 CD playback
be able to hookup an MP3 player directly

the only thing I see it missing is DVD playback and an attached hard drive to load music and media onto.

Will also have integrated navigation and lots of other OEM neat stuff built in. What else would you need?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am curious if I could just hook up a little external (portable) DVD player using the factory supplied RCA cable and watch a movie that way? Since they say we can play a video game using that setup, I'm thinking it will work for me.
Not that I actually want to sit in my car and watch a movie on a 7" LCD though (thats what the 60" LED in the living room is for :) but I do think it would be nice to make a DVD with a music-matched "screen saver" that also is playing some of my more favorite songs. For when I might be hanging out in a parking lot or just cruising around at night and want some mellow movement on the screen.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I appreciate that Hyundai offers video input for the screen but at this point composite analog video is so out-dated that it is almost useless.

All of my devices have only HDMI output now.

What I would like to do is pretty standard smartphone stuff - stream my favorite music videos from YouTube and watch the video and listen to the music.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Food for thought. The senior tech at the local BMW dealer bought himself a Veloster Turbo. He says, in his opinion, that the touch sceen nav unit it the VT is better than the ones offered by BMW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a decent unit with pretty robust features and when you consider fabrication costs, aftermarket unit cost, visible Bluetooth mic, different iPod/USB connection/location, I'm not of the opinion it'd be worth it.

The juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

You can add a good processor (Audison BitOne or BitTen, Rockford 3Sixty.3, etc), keep the features and factory look of your deck and add whatever you want as far as amplifiers and speakers go.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
That is why I wanted the package that comes with the sub and touch screen navi. I am sick and tired of putting that crap in my cars. I just LOVE bass. I haven't yet to own a new car with the options I want. So having a car with built in everything will be a nice change. If my wife would let me I'd stick a Toby Outlaw in and call it a day =) Best thing for anyone who loves bass. But since I am lucky to get a new car I will be happy with what it comes with. Like Turbosocks said, what else do you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts