Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be getting my car next weekend!!

I was wondering if there was any certain information or pictures people were looking for. I know there was quite a few that I was looking for, but none of the current owners got any of the information.

Some of the things I will be looking at is:

• the dimensions of the BPV flange (to figure out how easy to convert to BOV)
  • routing of the charge piping (to see how easy it would be to design hard piping)
  • routing of the intake piping (to design a cheap SRI/CAI)
  • feasibility of an EZ-lip (just for the added profile)
  • how the rear reflectors are mounted (to remove and nightshade/add LED brake light function)
  • how the fog lights are mounted (to remove and nightshade)
  • how the o2 housing is mounted on the turbo and how easy it is to remove the turbo (to possibly port the compressor side)
  • feasibility of a bigger FMIC kit (checking clearances in the front to see what size IC would work best in the area)

·
Registered
44 Posts
If all things go well, I'll have a video shot tomorrow, exterior, interior and of the car being driven. Though editing and uploading will take forever.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i could probably do something like this. The internal mic on my phone and even my D7k are not the best, but I can see what I can do.

I will probably not be doing much video editing (as I never have and don't have the time) but I will do what I can!

·
Registered
194 Posts
How about telling us how fast it is with the manual trans.. thats all ive wanted for a long time... Im sick of all these reviews of the car but not on 0-60 time clocked..
I actually sent an email to Motorweek.com to find out when they are going to review the car.. They always give it to you straight, and always test 0-60, handling, & breaking at the track..

·
Registered
194 Posts
I should be able to get those numbers tomorrow as well, though it'll be with the auto.
I dont know the numbers on the auto either but Im willing to bet, its not good.. Some reviews I read, said its night and day between the manual & auto.. They said the auto power band feels more like 160HP not 201HP and didnt feel much faster than the manual base with 138hp..

The difference in the auto/manual base veloster with 138hp 0-60

Manual 8.6sec
auto 10.0sec

So, if this translates to the turbo, the auto will be 1.4 sec slower 0-60

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well one thing a lot of you guys seem to be forgetting is you can "train" your car.. After you break it in, if you're heavy on the gas for a while, the car "learns" to be fast at the slightest touch.... And secondly.. paddle shifters can let you switch gears or stay in the gear all you want..

(this is my friend posting and not me)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well one thing a lot of you guys seem to be forgetting is you can "train" your car.. After you break it in, if you're heavy on the gas for a while, the car "learns" to be fast at the slightest touch.... And secondly.. paddle shifters can let you switch gears or stay in the gear all you want..

(this is my friend posting and not me)
Wow, I didnt know you could train a car.. So, after the break in period, the car goes faster... Thats funny because all of the new cars i bought in the past didnt get faster after the break in period..
Your friend must know a lot about cars.. Is he a professional car trainer? I would really like for him to teach me, Please? Can he get it to do tricks too?:nerd:

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife's Jetta does that I get in and it's not the quickest thing around, after I've driven the computer tends to adapt to my driving style.

Still #1 on the list for my VT. Mine should be in Buffalo early September, although dealer said he has seen "a lot of activity" in last few days !

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow, I didnt know you could train a car.. So, after the break in period, the car goes faster... Thats funny because all of the new cars i bought in the past didnt get faster after the break in period..
Some, not all, vehicles have adaptive programing as part of the drive-by-wire system
Your movements to the gas pedal go through a computer, not a cable, so if the manufacturer wants to they can make the computer react if different way depending on how you are applying the throttle
This adaptive logic starts figuring out your driving technique and desired intentions as soon as you start driving it, it does not wait for some break-in-period to be over before it begins

·
Registered
128 Posts
I want to know exactly how poor the rear view visibility. I've heard it sucks and you have to reply on your side mirrors mostly.

Other than that, just start snapping pictures or do a complete video tour of your new toy.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty guys! I will keep all of this in mind.. I really wish I had an external mic for my d7k so I could take a pretty video without hearing the stupid autofocus motor.. LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
How about telling us how fast it is with the manual trans.. thats all ive wanted for a long time... Im sick of all these reviews of the car but not on 0-60 time clocked..
I actually sent an email to Motorweek.com to find out when they are going to review the car.. They always give it to you straight, and always test 0-60, handling, & breaking at the track..
This is my reply from Motorweek;

Hi Bob,

Thanks for watching MotorWeek. A First Impressions review of the Veloster Turbo
is scheduled for Episode 3202 which begins airing on September 15th. No word yet
on whether there will be a full road test.

Take Care,
Michelle

It just sounds funny to me how we have all these reviews, yet no 0-60 times posted or tested.. And even motorweek saying, there may not be a full road test makes me wonder if Hyundai was worried that if 0-60 times were posted it would hurt sales.. Maybe they are not allowing reviewers to post numbers for that reason until they meet their demand for the car..

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are a few 0-60 times posted..

I think it was motor trend who tested the 0-60 and it was 6.9 on the M/T.. At least one review had a skidpad test also..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure if someone already asked..I want to know mileage :) if you are getting the auto. I hope it doesn't drop below 30 mpg. I'll get asked the question a thousand times - why not a prius for the same money..

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am getting a M/T but I will report on mileage still as my drive home will be 440 miles!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am getting a M/T but I will report on mileage still as my drive home will be 440 miles!
Cool. I would have to guestimate by deducting equivalent EPA reduction for Auto. Someone actually told me that A/T's are supposed to give more mileage than M/T (I thought the opposite was true and so do the EPA numbers on the VT). Of course I think everything depends on how someone drives as well. But the person who told me that said the machine supposedly is better in shifting and not wasting gas than a human. I am ignorant in these things and just didn't argue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, nowadays a lot of cars have A/T's that are so efficient that you're likely to get better mileage than with a M/T, but for one reason or another that is not the predicted case for Veloster Turbos.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts