Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Im as green as grass when it comes to modification of cars (watches are my forte), but since ive just clocked over the 15k km im looking at what i can do to make this awesome car better without totally voiding the Warranty or going into the illegal mod side of things', so Aussie local advice would help, mainly looking for the basics in getting a little more out of the performance and the ride, and a good starting setup with some possible places to check in with around Brisbane (if youre local to the area).

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me get into the modding arena
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red City car

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As far as ride is concerned: when you get a chance, replace the Hankooks with a decent set of tyres. Front and rear sway bars from either Roll Pro or Whiteline. Strut top brace from Pierce Motorsports. Decent set of springs and shocks - don't cheap out and just get lowering springs; or my preference coil overs (look at BC Racing Australia). You might also consider rigid collars (Tork Motorsports).

Performance: legally - high flow catted down pipe + cat back exhaust. You can find the complete set-up from XForce for between 1350 - 1700. Or you can source cat back exhausts from Jun BL, Borla, Maganflow, XForxce or have your exhaust shop fabricate one. Catted down pipes can be purchased from Jun BL, Pierce Motorsports, Tork Motorsports, 845 and XForce.
Front mount intercooler (FMIC) - see if -X- has any ORICs available, Tork Motorsports are still developing theirs, Fumoto has a Veloster specific kit, 845 or you can have one custom built. Go with the Synapse DV.

I believe that filter elements need to be enclosed so you can go with one of numerous Cold Air Intakes (you could argue that filter is enclosed lol). If the police turn a blind eye you can then go for one of numerous short ram intakes. K&N do have one with a box.

Try NA Autosports & Engineering, Slacks Creek Queensland.

SoCal Garage Works have an Aussie distributor located in Brisbane so they can help you out with US sourced parts.

Side note: there is a user on here loves talking about oils and the "Recaro" seats in his car - ignore him :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome mate, fellow Aussie VTer here, 2013 VT but only had it a month so no mods here either. Yours being red like mine, it is already faster than stock :)

Reactions: Zapper

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Few things I forgot to mention. Get yourself a decent oil catch can at least for the PCV side - try and avoid the cheap and nasty ones from EBay and for around $400 get yourself a set of ADR compliant stainless brake lines.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry - X- was busy. My preference is a dual OCC setup. One for the PCV and one for the breather. Sixth Element engineering are in the process of fabricating a dual Radium set-up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as ride is concerned: when you get a chance, replace the Hankooks with a decent set of tyres. Front and rear sway bars from either Roll Pro or Whiteline. Strut top brace from Pierce Motorsports. Decent set of springs and shocks - don't cheap out and just get lowering springs; or my preference coil overs (look at BC Racing Australia). You might also consider rigid collars (Tork Motorsports).

Performance: legally - high flow catted down pipe + cat back exhaust. You can find the complete set-up from XForce for between 1350 - 1700. Or you can source cat back exhausts from Jun BL, Borla, Maganflow, XForxce or have your exhaust shop fabricate one. Catted down pipes can be purchased from Jun BL, Pierce Motorsports, Tork Motorsports, 845 and XForce.
Front mount intercooler (FMIC) - see if -X- has any ORICs available, Tork Motorsports are still developing theirs, Fumoto has a Veloster specific kit, 845 or you can have one custom built. Go with the Synapse DV.

I believe that filter elements need to be enclosed so you can go with one of numerous Cold Air Intakes (you could argue that filter is enclosed lol). If the police turn a blind eye you can then go for one of numerous short ram intakes. K&N do have one with a box.

Try NA Autosports & Engineering, Slacks Creek Queensland.

SoCal Garage Works have an Aussie distributor located in Brisbane so they can help you out with US sourced parts.

Side note: there is a user on here loves talking about oils and the "Recaro" seats in his car - ignore him :)
Thanks heaps for the info, doing my research now! think i might start off with most of the ride mods first and maybe the exhaust to start in the performance area. Thanks again, find it hard to get some straight forward advice for beginners in most things. loving this community already! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha no arguments there, red goes faster as they say, the racing stripe also adds another +1Kw or so ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sorry - X- was busy. My preference is a dual OCC setup. One for the PCV and one for the breather. Sixth Element engineering are in the process of fabricating a dual Radium set-up.
Radium sell dual catch cans on a single mounting bracket, which is what I have on mine. I don't understand why someone would fabricate that which can be bought and easily fitted, unless the fabrication is a car-specific mounting bracket or something like that. In any case Radium catch cans are good but expensive.

One piece of advice is if the OP wants components from overseas then South Korean-sourced components such as the Luxon strut bar I fitted to mine will have cheaper postage than an equivalent item sourced from the USA (where postage is expensive). And much quicker for postage; mine took only two or three days delivery. Being a South Korean car there are a few South Korean bits available for it.

Mine is stock in suspension apart from rigid collars and the strut bar (I drove the latest model yesterday and it was a shocker compared to the 2013; so that's why I kept mine largely stock, it's actually quite good, especially the steering). I wouldn't recommend lowering one. I have had mine scrape the chassis rails on speed bumps when travelling as slow as I dare, and if it was more than just me with no luggage then it would have been worse.

A must have is a strut bar. The front of the chassis lacks rigidity and this works through the steering which is a bit mushy, handling which lacks precision and even through to the rear suspension which can bump steer. As well as bashing and crashing over bumps and especially over bridge expansion joints. The strut bar improved all of that and is a worthwhile, cheap and easily fitted modification. Make sure you tell your insurance company, and that means every modification made.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi All

Im as green as grass when it comes to modification of cars (watches are my forte), but since ive just clocked over the 15k km im looking at what i can do to make this awesome car better without totally voiding the Warranty or going into the illegal mod side of things', so Aussie local advice would help, mainly looking for the basics in getting a little more out of the performance and the ride, and a good starting setup with some possible places to check in with around Brisbane (if youre local to the area).

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me get into the modding arena
View attachment 47883
Hey! Im hey Veloster owner in Brisbane as well. I have done a few things to my car and would be happy to meet up sometime so you could check it out and maybe organise a cruise pm me if you want more information mate

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I understand Queensland is very strict on Carbon Fiber panels (bonnets in particular). BOV's are not street legal Australia wide (because compressed air is not good for emissions!!!) Sure there may be a tiny amount of oil in it (or next to none if you have OCC's), but still nowhere near as bad as the emissions coming out the back of your car!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I understand Queensland is very strict on Carbon Fiber panels (bonnets in particular). BOV's are not street legal Australia wide (because compressed air is not good for emissions!!!) Sure there may be a tiny amount of oil in it (or next to none if you have OCC's), but still nowhere near as bad as the emissions coming out the back of your car!
The law are just too scared to say they don't like the noise from BOV

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
An external venting blow off valve actually increases turbo lag compared to the stock recirculation setup. Other than that it is unroadwothy and then that will void your insurance, even if the unroadwothy condition and claim are not related. This is a risk not worth taking, and old Skylines making hissing noises sound like wankers cars anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts