Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I know a few people have done this and there are a few that want to, but have questions. So this is how to upgrade the Base VT to include automatic headlights and auto-dimming display/cluster. Parts are about $100 shipped.

**Auto & Fog Light Combo Switch (you can get these w/o fog lights for those of you that may plan on removing them for the full mesh surrounds)
**Light Sensor

Step 0: Remove the blank insert and install the Light Sensor: Use a screwdriver (or two) to pry the blank insert out of the dash. Disconnect the connector and install the new one. I figured I didn't need a picture of this one. I found I needed two screwdrivers to get it out just because there's little room to actually get to it with your hands...unless you have hands like a 2 year old.

Step1-5: Follow bjetman's instructions on removing the steering wheel here. You don't need to disassemble the steering wheel itself obviously, just remove it (up to step 5).

Step 6: Remove the steering column cover assembly screws - two in front and one on the bottom.

Step 7: Remove the transition piece from the back of the steering column: There is a strip in the back on the top of column that is a fabric transition from the column to the dash (actually kind of nice) to eliminate the gap for the telescoping column. Simply use a pry tool to pop one end out and pop out the tabs unti you remove it. Pry on the sides to remove the ends.

Step 8: Remove the column covers: This is a little tricky. The best way is to get a pry tool above the combo switch on each side and just pry the thing off. there's two tabs in the front and the sides and back kind of slip together. The ones in the back work like a hinge. When you go to put this back on, interlock the back hinges first and close each side at the same time to make sure everything lines up.

Step 9: Remove the clock spring: There are 3 tabs, on on top and one on each side. Remove the two electrical connector on the bottom rear and the gently unlock the tabs and pull out the clock spring. Careful not to rotate it when it's installed.

Step 10: Remove the combo switch assembly: You can remove the wiper switch now if you want or after you take the whole thing out. The light combo switch is the primary piece and the wiper switch just snaps in. There is a tab in the middle of the front on the wiper switch and it just slides out. Disconnect the connectors on both combo switches, unscrew the screws on the top and bottom and remove the assembly.

Step Put It Back Together: Install the new combo switch, install all the stuff back together (see bjetman's thread for steering wheel lock nut torque) and enjoy! To test the sensor, just place something over the sensor for a few seconds and it should trigger the lights. Make sure you set your display to Automatic for light sensor control.

Reactions: Kaishi and Contain

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for writing this up.

I'm stuck at step one of the steering column disassembly and need help. When I loosen the airbag screws, the big vinyl module which contains both the horn button and the airbag does NOT want to come off, no matter how hard I pull. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for writing this up.

I'm stuck at step one of the steering column disassembly and need help. When I loosen the airbag screws, the big vinyl module which contains both the horn button and the airbag does NOT want to come off, no matter how hard I pull. What am I doing wrong?
Hah! Yeah I forgot to mention that part. Nothing wrong, the screws just don't back out all the way they need to. You kinda have to unscrew it while pulling out one side. The other thing you might be able to do is use a magnet to hold the screw out while to pull it out. It's just a PITA.

EDIT: Actually I guess I didn't miss that part. That's in bjetman's write-up.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got a link or quote? I still can't seem to find his detailed explanation.
Yeah...there's a link called STEP 1. Did you skip that part? (Also, I'm at work and all my impatience transfers into posts...sorry) Btw, if you're looking for an explicitly detailed thing on that, no, it's whatever is in the thread. I just figured it out on my own when I was taking it out. You basically have to "pull" the screws out while you pull out the airbag. There's no thread on the wheel itself which is why they don't stay out. So they tend to fall back in just enough to keep you from removing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts