Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4-5 days ago my A/T transmission started acting up. Whenever I switch from 5th gear to 4th gear ONLY in SPORT mode it does this. It will sometimes do it from 3rd to 2nd. It also feels like my car shifts hard, but I think that is normal. The higher the revs when I downshift the more you can feel the problem. I have no clue what's going on...I think it is slipping? This is my 1st car so I haven't really experienced other problems first hand. Anyways I made a video so you guys can see this
. You will hear when I click to downshift, then it goes down then shoots right back up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mine does that on occasion too, but i think it's the smartness of the damn car kicking in. Since you aren't on the gas, the RPM drops thinking you are coasting and then when the RPMS drop a certain level it re-engages the transmittion? I'm probably reaching here. Check to make sure ECO is turned off. That damn button... LOL

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't have a VT AT but I've had several import ATs in the past.

They all did something like this when downshifting. The torque converter allows the motor to rev during the downshift when there isn't any gear engaged and you are still on the gas, then it equalizes the revs as it engages the next gear. It gets worse when you go down 2 or more gears and sometimes the torque converter balks at the gear change.

When I test drove the VT AT and then had a Sonata 2.0T AT loaner they shifted quicker than that though during normal use. The Sonata was especially seamless but the VT AT did have some lag when downshifting.

Post another video of shifting when you are hammering it and the revs are way up. If it "slips" more you may have a problem. It could just be the AT being polite when downshifting at nominal power.

·
Registered
802 Posts

They all did something like this when downshifting. The torque converter allows the motor to rev during the downshift when there isn't any gear engaged and you are still on the gas, then it equalizes the revs as it engages the next gear. It gets worse when you go down 2 or more gears and sometimes the torque converter balks at the gear change.

When I test drove the VT AT and then had a Sonata 2.0T AT loaner they shifted quicker than that though during normal use. The Sonata was especially seamless but the VT AT did have some lag when downshifting.

Post another video of shifting when you are hammering it and the revs are way up. If it "slips" more you may have a problem. It could just be the AT being polite when downshifting at nominal power.
Your post made more sense than mine did. :haha:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I can't tell much from that vid.
If you try driving on the road at around 50-60 and try to accelerate hard but smoothly (not forcing a downshift) do the revs come up and it feels like it's pulling like a CVT tranny (the revs go up, and then the speed catches up to the revs)?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking this was normal...but it hasn't been going on until 4-5 days ago. It only does it when I let off the gas, I am going to try and make a better video today. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't tell much from that vid.
If you try driving on the road at around 50-60 and try to accelerate hard but smoothly (not forcing a downshift) do the revs come up and it feels like it's pulling like a CVT tranny (the revs go up, and then the speed catches up to the revs)?
Nope, It accelerates, but with hesitation of course lol.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Off couse the RPM is going to jump shifting from 5th to 4th, you're going from a higher ratio gear to a lower ratio. Perectly normal.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
The VT automatic transmission is kinda funky to me too, but I think it's acting perfectly normal.

I find the tranny doesn't like to be in too tall a gear at low rpm's. It will downshift automatically
if your foot is off the gas.

If you are going too slow the transmission will not let you shift to a higher gear.

Couldn't tell by your video but right around 43 mph seems to be a lot happening.

Then again, around 13 mph it happens again.

If you are flapping the throttle around these points it sure is possible to confuse the transmission.

Just my observation.

·
Registered
751 Posts
From the initial description it sounds like normal operation in Sport mode. Especially when using the paddle to downshift. If you're cruising to a stop and want to downshift too, I suggest actually using your speed as your guide. What I mean is downshift to 4th at 40mph or less, 3rd at 30mph or less, etc. At these speeds you shouldn't have the harshness. Above those speeds, yeah, it will be a lot more firm.

Any questions feel free to let me know. Somehow I think I made that more confusing than it had to be. lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off couse the RPM is going to jump shifting from 5th to 4th, you're going from a higher ratio gear to a lower ratio. Perectly normal.
Right, that's fine but it's jumping twice in the same gear. If you listen close you'll hear when I click, then it goes up, I'll let it fall maybe about 1k rpm's and then it jumps back up again.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the initial description it sounds like normal operation in Sport mode. Especially when using the paddle to downshift. If you're cruising to a stop and want to downshift too, I suggest actually using your speed as your guide. What I mean is downshift to 4th at 40mph or less, 3rd at 30mph or less, etc. At these speeds you shouldn't have the harshness. Above those speeds, yeah, it will be a lot more firm.

Any questions feel free to let me know. Somehow I think I made that more confusing than it had to be. lol
Lol nope, all of you guys are helping in some type of way. I usually downshift the way you are mentioning in your post, it's just one day I went to go pass someone and when I downshift it basically looked and felt like it downshifted twice in the same gear.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, if you're downshifting in sport mode the times for shifting are shorter and the line pressures are a little higher than in D. This is while you'll feel that harsh shift at speeds over what I recommended.

Every now and then I'll catch myself hitting 2nd on a downshift closer to 30mph. As soon as I feel that shift I know exactly what I did without even looking at the speedo. lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay guys here is another video (sorry for the dirty mats)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I don't know what's more annoying .. the way the revs keep jumping up, or the way the camera shoots to the right for no reason :smile:

Try shooting horizontally so you can capture the revs and speedo in the same shot.

Can you explain the conditions that create this issue. Are you tapping the paddle to shift down, 5 - 4th, what speed? I'm sure mine doesn't do this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was out driving around town and thought i would try it. I was at about 55 in 5th gear. I let off the gas and downshifted to 4th. The revs spiked like normal but not how yours does.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marathon, can you give a little more information? I would like to know if your foot is steady on the accelerator pedal when downshifting. Also, I noticed your ESC turned off. Does it do it with the ESC on also?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts