Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car came with an AEM intake and i simply dont like how loud it is and the thought of messing with the rest of my 60k/60k warranty. One of my closest friends does side work on cars and can help me install the stock intake (which my only option i think is from a dealer which i dont mind the cash but help me on that too please). My only question is, im sure he knows this, are intakes rather simple plug and play deals? Or is there more to it and a few clamps and inlets? My VT has only 11k on it and i am really looking to get its longevity out of it and to quiet this forsaken intake down hahaha. i also have an oil cooler and im really not sure what else... wish there was a "whats done to your car" list lol.. Any input that is helpful would be awesome! Thanks to all who read. :)

Ill see if i can get a few shots of my engine bay at the moment. hang tight

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Intakes are the simplest bolt on mod you can do. It's mainly a couple clamps and bolts that hold the stock air filter housing in place. An aftermarket intake helps the engine by allowing it to suck in more much needed air. The stock housing is quite limiting. Depending on if your AEM is a short air intake with filter in engine bay, you might wanna take a look into making it a cold air intake and getting an additional piece that puts the filter down under the bumper allowing cooler air to be sucked in and softening the sound as well. Hope that helps a lil :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also super embarrassing but i just realized i posted something somewhat similar but that i was looking to buy a full stock intake a month ago! i need to pm all of you who responded on that thread and i apologize greatly for posting something related twice!!

Now, it was a Dodge Kia dealer here in Tempe and they sold it as is - i got them around 5k under list so im not complaining. secondly yes its a cai i believe? Its the long tube that is tucked a little bit down below. its just all around too loud. Windows down is a drag on my ears because all i hear is HSHHHHHHHHpew, HSSHHHHHHHHpewpew hahahaha. 18 year old me is in love, 24 year old me is over it.

also heres my current setup
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Rim Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Family car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Grille

Edit1: Just realized also, i have that oil cooler there in the pictures as well, will it be in the way of the stock intake and should i remove or re-mount that? again thank you all for the replies so far. You are all saving my sanity little by little as i think far too much about these things(negative outcomes over positive) before acting upon them.

Edit2: i doubt my car is tuned but if it were, how do i un-tune it, and if it is not- need i do anything after reverting to stock intake? pretty sure i know the answer to this but shooting it out there to so what i get.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
SHHHHpew SHHHHHpew is most likely your stock blow off valve. Hate to tell you, but you own a turbo car and that's a good normal sound. A stock air filter will minimize it, but you'll still hear it a little.

And what oil cooler are you talking about? If you mean that silver ADD W1 silver can, that's not an oil cooler. That's an oil catch can that is, from what it looks like, place on the PCV section to prevent oil going into the engine. It's somewhat necessary for this GDI engine if you'd like to prevent engine problems in future. If you'd like to keep your mind positive, keep this and remount it if you decide to go to stock air filter housing. Almost everyone in this forum has one there and one on the high side. Search and you'll understand why.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHHHHpew SHHHHHpew is most likely your stock blow off valve. Hate to tell you, but you own a turbo car and that's a good normal sound. A stock air filter will minimize it, but you'll still hear it a little.

And what oil cooler are you talking about? If you mean that silver ADD W1 silver can, that's not an oil cooler. That's an oil catch can that is, from what it looks like, place on the PCV section to prevent oil going into the engine. It's somewhat necessary for this GDI engine if you'd like to prevent engine problems in future. If you'd like to keep your mind positive, keep this and remount it if you decide to go to stock air filter housing. Almost everyone in this forum has one there and one on the high side. Search and you'll understand why.
hahaha that shhhhpew was supposed to be sarcastic, im not inept at all im really just questioning whether or not i need to do anything special to put on the stock intake. the sound that kills me is how insanely loud the intake suction is, i dig the bov. i had three other turbo cars and one supercharged car before this cute little thing so im not really new to forced induction but rather just mods and functionality of parts. like that oil catch can i swear it was an oil cooler or it atleast said it on the can? Ill check again tomorrow but whatever the case if its in the way for the stock intake - can i re mount it higher or lower and not hurt its function?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Gotcha. Well I think if you take a look at the AEM CAI install instructions, you should have an idea as to the difficulty of doing the reverse of the install. This should also give you an idea of all the stock items you will need to get if you didn't have them.

AEM CAI Install

I have the exact same ADD W1 OCC in the same location but mine is blue. Simplest relocation is flip the bracket upside down and install it under the stock air box using one of the stock box's bolts. But if you want easy access you can install it on the passenger side like in the pic below. I think lower is better for the PCV side but in reality it's better to have one than none.

Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.