Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been having progressive issues with my VT, after 5 dealer visits they have told me that a missing flap on my airbox is causing my car to backfire and the turbo to whine. And this is coming from cooperate. They want close to $700 for a new intake assembly due to a missing flap on the airbox. They have told me if i neglect this service they will void my engine warranty completely, again this is all from cooperate.

So I'm curious if anyone here would be able to help me diagnose what the issue may be so I can make them take a look at said issue before forcing me to drop nearly 1k on a completely new assembly when all I'm missing is a flap (which i cant see what I'm missing and will probably just buy off someone on the forums instead.)

The issues are, when under load I.e. going up a hill or high throttle the car backfires continuously and power drops, additionally when I tried my CAI i noticed the turbo whines like a supercharger in addition to the spooling sound I'm used to.

Current mods, Magnaflow exhaust, BOV to BPV mod. That's it.

No codes are being thrown, no check engine, and the dealers seem to not have a clue.

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you could get a video that would be great, I had the flap off my airbox for roughly 2,000 miles and had no issues whatsoever. Are we talking just the airbox assembly for $700 that is outrageous. I will give you the flap for free lol.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My flap is on but no magnet. So just like its not there anyway for nearly 9000 miles. No issues that you speak of. Something else is wrong with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So i've been having progressive issues with my VT, after 5 dealer visits they have told me that a missing flap on my airbox is causing my car to backfire and the turbo to whine. And this is coming from cooperate. They want close to $700 for a new intake assembly due to a missing flap on the airbox. They have told me if i neglect this service they will void my engine warranty completely, again this is all from cooperate.

So I'm curious if anyone here would be able to help me diagnose what the issue may be so I can make them take a look at said issue before forcing me to drop nearly 1k on a completely new assembly when all I'm missing is a flap (which i cant see what I'm missing and will probably just buy off someone on the forums instead.)

The issues are, when under load I.e. going up a hill or high throttle the car backfires continuously and power drops, additionally when I tried my CAI i noticed the turbo whines like a supercharger in addition to the spooling sound I'm used to.

Current mods, Magnaflow exhaust, BOV to BPV mod. That's it.

No codes are being thrown, no check engine, and the dealers seem to not have a clue.

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated!
That's crap that they can blame that flap on the issues it's designed to open and close... And as well all know the car runs better when it's left open
700 for a intake assembly is just dumb other cars in here with intakes didn't have this much trouble as you and your running the factory intake!!

I'll send you my flap if you need it

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a flap on the inside WITH the magnet, I assume they are on about some other flap but I'm not seeing anywhere it would attach. Apparently you can only get the full assembly as a package. Not separate parts. I frickin' love my VT but seriously the dealers around me have horrible technicians, its like they read out of a checklist and pick the first thing and go with it. I'm no expert but I know full well a missing flap is not causing the whole car to bog down and backfire. If nobody is able to get a rough idea of whats going on or has had similar issues I'll get you guys a video :) It gives me instant anxiety though when it happens because I know Hyundai is not on my side.

I think there is only the one flap on the inside of the airbox with the magnet, the only piece I'm missing is the hose for the BPV which I would gladly buy off one of you if you're willing to give it up. Just so that its 100% stock and they are forced to actually diagnose the issue. :)

Thanks a lot for the support!

Does anyone have a picture of their airbox out of the car that I could reference and see if anything is missing?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
someone local must have an oem airbox that will give you or sell you the flap. This is the lame ass crap that you get from clueless dealers. Try to see if they can tell you what the flap does. Cuz Iv go 53,000kms on my car flap is off since 10,000km with no issues.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So the real question is: Why is Hyundai charging you the $700 for this missing flap? Shouldn't that be covered under warranty? If this missing flap is through no fault of your own, you should not be responsible for replacing the intake.

If you're not getting anywhere with your current dealer, then take your VT to a different dealership.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm sure he removed it lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
post a video so we can hear whats happening

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So the real question is: Why is Hyundai charging you the $700 for this missing flap? Shouldn't that be covered under warranty? If this missing flap is through no fault of your own, you should not be responsible for replacing the intake.

If you're not getting anywhere with your current dealer, then take your VT to a different dealership.

If there is a flap missing it means I've removed it. However I dont recall doing so. I believe i just ripped out the airbox and threw it in my closet. But I'm not saying they are lying about something missing just yet, I'd like to see a reference opened up airbox and see if I'm mistaken. I told them I've got a bunch of parts in my closet and they said as long as I replace the missing parts I'm fine. So I'm hoping worst case I can pay someone on the forums for their old parts.

Also I got a video but you'll need headphones or something that plays bassy sounds to hear it as I could only record it with my iPhone (which doesnt capture the bassy and airy sounds very well.)

You can hear the rumbling from about 4 - 6k its sometimes loud cracking backfires too, Its usually after a long drive though and I dont have time to cruise around :(
Sometimes it also sounds like the blow off valve letting on and off rapidly but from under the motor. Additionally sometimes when it backfires large white clouds of smoke come out.

Again sorry the video is really hard to hear but the rumbling that sounds like I'm going over bumps is actually coming out of my exhaust (I've had the exhaust on for about 15k without issues, also the cars power goes in and out.)

If you need better I can get my gopro charged and strap it in the engine bay. Also if you'd like to hear the whine I can do that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
post a video so we can hear whats happening
In additon to my last post, heres more.

The whining is a lot louder in person, also this is in addition to the other symptoms

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

·
Registered
931 Posts
ya thats alot of whine

whats up with the clamp on your intake? anything aftermarket on there? maybe they are blaming you messing with it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya thats alot of whine

whats up with the clamp on your intake? anything aftermarket on there? maybe they are blaming you messing with it?

The hose clamp could be aftermarket, I don't remember, however they have not said anything about the hose clamp.

Have you pulled your plugs and checked them?
I've pulled one and checked, nothing to bad although it was a bit wet

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mine has oil in the intake too. Driving hard does that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I know, It was during the cold though so the car may have been running rich. I have a strong feeling something more than the intake flap (which seems like is very much so affixed to my car so IDK what missing flap they are talking about) is causing issues. Maybe a bad fuel pump, maybe something else.

I'm just hoping somone has an idea because the mechanics at the dealers in my area (i've tried 3) all are telling me diffrent things. One says "I cant find an issue" another says its the BPV, now they are syaing I've got a flap missing on my airbox..

and the woman at Hyundai corp. is threatening to void my warranty on the motor if I don't have the flap replaced. (which is there!)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts