Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I’ve been losing my mind trying to figure out why my car shakes over 50mph. I was involved in a little accident like two months ago that didn’t seem like it didn’t any real damage other than some paint wear at first but started noticing a shake a higher speeds, sometimes there sometimes not, sometimes to the point it feels like I’ll lose the wheel. I’ve had several alignments, checked the balance, and even two new sets of tires because I was told the first set were the culprit at one point. Anyway after just pissing money into this the shop finally points to the axle, they bring me under and show me how it moves and say they’re gonna replace it. They couldn’t get the proper one because apparently only Hyundai makes DCT axles... Anyway, I go through insurance now, like I was trying to avoid, and they send me to a shop that assures me they’ll be able to obtain the axle, but then tells me nothing is wrong with the axle and that the other shop did a bad balance. In the process of “fixing” the balance they break my wheel locks, and you guessed it, the problem is still there. So, I ask my fellow VT owners, does this video appear normal? I can pull it in and out, and push it up and down. Excuse my banter, this video was originally sent to my father lol.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,962 Posts
Many things need to be checked like tires, wheels, allignment, and suspension components as well. All can cause the issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Many things need to be checked like tires, wheels, allignment, and suspension components as well. All can cause the issues.
Maybe I read his message wrong but everything you just mentioned he stated was already checked... He wants to know about his video, which you didn’t address lol

Reactions: misnblu and T7000

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I read his message wrong but everything you just mentioned he stated was already checked... He wants to know about his video, which you didn’t address lol
YES, ALL CHECKED NUMEROUS TIMES! please, help, I keep refreshing hoping someone knows!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PLEASE WATCH VIDEO AND GIVE INSIGHT THANK YOU

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
All has not been checked unless you did not state everything that was checked.

This is my insight regarding the video and your situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, I literally mentioned that several times the alignment has been checked, several times the wheels have been rebalanced, two different sets of tires have been on, newest being Pirelli's... The suspension components are fine too. Im assuming this movement is normal? I can tell from reviewing your other posts you like to give people riddles rather than a straight answer....

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I just went out to my car and checked; with both wheels in the air:

Driver axle had a very small amount of in and out play, similar to what it looks like at the beginning of your video. No perpendicular play.

Passenger axle had more in and out play, but still not as bad as it looks like in the end of your video. No perpendicular play.

I would get a video but I don't feel like jacking the car all the way up, and I don't think you would even be able to tell visually if I did.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
LOL, I literally mentioned that several times the alignment has been checked, several times the wheels have been rebalanced, two different sets of tires have been on, newest being Pirelli's... The suspension components are fine too. Im assuming this movement is normal? I can tell from reviewing your other posts you like to give people riddles rather than a straight answer....
Do I need to make you an itemized checklist since my vague answers seem like riddles to you? Because just stating the things you checked, which was not everything that can cause the issues, and doing them multiple times does not mean much. Checking things and checking everything are two different things. Checking things and not posting details of those specs/details related to what has been check does not allow much help from the outside at all outside of vague advise.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Yeah trdtoy I’m about over T7000s condescending attitude myself.

we are all trying to help here. Bring it to a reputable speed shop not some tire dealer.

i ran over a road gator 2 months ago and everything up front was messed up. The car drove straight but clunked over bumps and vibrated at high speed. Ended up having a bad LCA on one side and a bad tie rod end on the other. However it all aligned properly (yup, I do this myself too thanks to toe plates). Only the tierod exhibited play under load or up in the air but the LCA wasn’t noticed until I removed it and the large bushing was cracked through. I also had a bent wheel.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
28 Posts
PLEASE WATCH VIDEO AND GIVE INSIGHT THANK YOU
The answer is YES, perpendicular play in an axle can cause wheel shimmy which can very depending on the position the axle settles into as you accelerate. I owned a car that had bad vibrations in front that varied widely. It was blamed on everything from tie rod ends to alignments to strut. Replaced both front axles and the problem disappeared for good.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
How did you watch.. the video has been removed.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Yeah trdtoy I’m about over T7000s condescending attitude myself.

we are all trying to help here. Bring it to a reputable speed shop not some tire dealer.

i ran over a road gator 2 months ago and everything up front was messed up. The car drove straight but clunked over bumps and vibrated at high speed. Ended up having a bad LCA on one side and a bad tie rod end on the other. However it all aligned properly (yup, I do this myself too thanks to toe plates). Only the tierod exhibited play under load or up in the air but the LCA wasn’t noticed until I removed it and the large bushing was cracked through. I also had a bent wheel.
The attitude does not bother me as I deal with this on the daily dealing with the avg owner. I'm not offended by it but rather entertained by it.

This is my point. If things like you mentioned were checked that can cause the same issue then the OP did not post that at all and no details of what was checked other than saying yep checked multiple times and was good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
He indicates that he can push it up and down. This reveals that the tulip in the CV joint is worn or broken, probably from the accident. Once the axle starts to spin, it will allow the centerline to be offset, if the low point happens to be where it was broken. Once the axle is in motion, That wheel could act like a tire that is fine, out of balance, or severely out of balance. It all depends on the point in the CV that is on bottom when acceleration is started and can change when decelerating. I'm not saying this is what's going on, but I've experienced this problem first hand in another front wheel drive vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
that is a pretty good explanation. i'm going to put my car up tomorrow to rotate the tires and see if there is any play for the heck of it, and science.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you! Pretty much basic physics. The tulip is cylindrical inside and the CV rides inside of it and remains centered by the minimal tolerance to allow it to move inside without flopping around. If it is damaged, then it becomes egg-shaped and will allow the CV to drop down to an off center position. This creates an imbalance because of the offset of the center of the CV. His description just seemed to fit my experience with this. T7000, I'm curious if you've found the problem or did you just drop out of the discussion?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts