Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the MBRP Exhaust S4701304 Pro Series Cat Back through Jet.com because of the discount and free shipping etc. Hre are my three main points

1. My mechanic said after installing "this is one of the worst fitting exhaust systems I've ever done" and immediately recommended a Magnaflow
  2. It seems I have lost a lot of power in first and second gear, even though I have not found or smelt a leak
  3. The sound is great at idle but turns into a big obnoxious drone that shakes under the center armrest a bit
But the gurgle and pop is pretty good! This was my experience and my thoughts on it, I am returning and switching to a MagnaFlow by next week (already in my signature :) ). I'm sure that MBRP exhaust systems are good but not good enough for my VT.

Anyone else with similar issues or recommendations on where to get a big A** box to return the MBRP? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I recently bought the MBRP Exhaust S4701304 Pro Series Cat Back through Jet.com because of the discount and free shipping etc. Hre are my three main points

1. My mechanic said after installing "this is one of the worst fitting exhaust systems I've ever done" and immediately recommended a Magnaflow
  2. It seems I have lost a lot of power in first and second gear, even though I have not found or smelt a leak
  3. The sound is great at idle but turns into a big obnoxious drone that shakes under the center armrest a bit
But the gurgle and pop is pretty good! This was my experience and my thoughts on it, I am returning and switching to a MagnaFlow by next week (already in my signature :) ). I'm sure that MBRP exhaust systems are good but not good enough for my VT.

Anyone else with similar issues or recommendations on where to get a big A** box to return the MBRP? Thanks!
Ugh.. don't get me started haha. I ended up welding the whole thing together. The fitment is atrocious.
Sound is a personal preference and I'm not sure why you're getting the vibration or drone. It's pretty tame around under 3k for me and I've got a catless dp mated to that thing.

Plus you've gotta remember what you bought, it's essentially a straight pipe, no muffler at all. Looks like maybe a small resonator at the mid pipe?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, I think I had such high hopes for it to be a great bargain that it just isn't to my liking. Also, highway speeds today just didn't sound good from the cabin which really bummed me out. Maybe instead of just straight pipes I will look into adding a performance muffler or something

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Dang... That's a shame man. Seems there are always lessons learned when modding these cars. There is just not a treasure trove of information out there like there are with other vehicles... (Honda's, Subies, etc...)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nooooo, don't tell me these things I just ordered one on Friday.

I've heard nothing but good things prior to this posting so I'm still hopeful.

Does it drone excessively between 65-70?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To each his own! Its not a bad system and looks good. The tips look extra cool with the logo on them but its just not for me. The only thing I would warn you about is ask your mechanic or whoever is installing to try and move the system away from your coil covers and/or heat wrap it. I think torque solutions hangars have helped but im not sure. Check it out

·
Registered
511 Posts
My suspension is totally stock so I don't think I'll run into issues like that but thanks for the heads up. I had planned on installing it myself with some help from a friend, I do know a good shop if it needs welding up eventually or my power tools don't cut it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only issue I had with mine was the pipe leaned against the passenger rear shock and melted the cover. I had it professionally installed and used heat wrap to keep it from rubbing so much, but the heat wrapped tore within days, then the final conclusion was going into a shop and cutting a small portion of the pipe and welding it correctly. Now there is no rub and lots of room. Aftermarket hangers were also used by the shop so the exhaust kit wouldn't move.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I had it too and it was crap. I immediately got it welded because it wouldn't fit right. With my cat less DP is was loud and droned bad. I ended up taking it to a shop and had them weld in a big @$$ MagnaFlow muffler and that helped alot.

Before you ditch it however I'd look into adding parts and welding sections for a better fit. It's a cheap cat back but is easy to add too to get the noise where ya want while still getting the benifits of the larger diameter.

As far as power theres no way ya lost any power. You've removed all of the restriction post cat so it's only going to help. What you might be experiencing is the ecu adjusting to the new flow. To speed this up you can reset the ecu by unplugging the battery.

Nooooo, don't tell me these things I just ordered one on Friday.

I've heard nothing but good things prior to this posting so I'm still hopeful.

Does it drone excessively between 65-70?
It drones alot, especally athe crising speeds. There is no muffler and the resonator is NOT a resonator. Not sure where you've been reading but the base exhaust has been problems for most people here.

·
Super Moderator
3,537 Posts
good PSA not to buy MBRP anything - the exhaust sucks and the hot pipe is bad for flow too, lol.

Reactions: orbeavhawk

·
Registered
445 Posts
I definitely agree with the ECU learning to adapt, it can take 80-100miles for it to adjust accordingly

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well I hope I like it because I can't cancel my order now! It sure sounded nice on youtube.

Always have the SO's car for road trips if the drone really is that bad.:sorry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had it too and it was crap. I immediately got it welded because it wouldn't fit right. With my cat less DP is was loud and droned bad. I ended up taking it to a shop and had them weld in a big @$$ MagnaFlow muffler and that helped alot.
With a muffler how much quieter will it become? Are you talking about something like this? https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14226 .I suppose I can always head down to the local muffler shop and see what they can do. That will save me the headache of removing and returning it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased the installer series without tips, and after 3 hours of aligning, it basically fits perfectly with one minor thing. The tips rattled a bit inside the stock housing, but I solved that with torque solution hangers and by slightly shortening the tips with a dremel.

I have not experienced a melted shock housing.

I only recommend this catback if:

1) you have the stock cat
2) you buy three 12mm torque solution hangers
3) you are willing to put some time into the alignment
4) you want a loud exhaust.

The alignment becomes very important when you get to the two pipes that connect around the rear axle beam. Pay extra close attention to the tips and how moving those pipes affects them. Remember- the beam will sit closer to the pipe when the car is off the jacks/lift.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had similar drone problems with my solo exhaust linked with the pierce cat dp. I installed a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and it definitely reduced the drone. I also ended up removing the pierce down pipe to quiet it down even more. I still have the solo exhaust with the vibrant resonator and it sounds awesome...although I had to sacrifice a little of performance by removing the down pipe...Hope this helps!
https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...4494293&sr=8-2&keywords=vibrant+resonator+2.5

·
Registered
511 Posts
You mean these?

What's wrong with the stock mounts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You mean these?

What's wrong with the stock mounts?
They allow the mbrp to move around more than it should. What I noticed is the factory flex pipe is much more flexible than the mbrp flex pipe. I may be wrong, but I think it causes more vibrations to travel down the mbrp system, and the stiffer hangers just do a better job of keeping it where it should be.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
With a muffler how much quieter will it become? Are you talking about something like this? https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14226 .I suppose I can always head down to the local muffler shop and see what they can do. That will save me the headache of removing and returning it.
That depends on what ya get. I got one like this...
https://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-performance/mufflers/race-mufflers/6-round/products/
...but it it was still too loud for my situation. Sounded good though.

Well I hope I like it because I can't cancel my order now! It sure sounded nice on youtube.

Always have the SO's car for road trips if the drone really is that bad.:sorry:
It sounds good but if you ran straight pipes it would sound nearly the same. Everyone is different so you may be ok with it. I didn't have a cat so it was very loud and had lots of drone.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know many get the exhaust itching then after installation they want to quite it. I would recommend any one to remove all cats and to keep the muffler only, you will get a nice tone without any drone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts