Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Veloster Turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am new here so apologizes in advance if I have posted this in the incorrect spot.

I am picking up a 2013 Veloster Turbo 6 speed tomorrow and already have a small list of things I want to upgrade on it to keep me satisfied. I know very, very little about these cars as I've only dealt in the world of Saab, Volvo, and BMW for a long time.

I'm looking to almost immediately upgrade the intake and install a blow off valve (because UGH that sound :love:). My questions are: Do I need to make any other upgrades or adjustments to the car before doing these two things? To my knowledge, it is factory stock other than the wheels. I am looking for recommendations on products too that won't break the bank but that aren't going to be a waste of money.

I'd like to take a crack at upgrading the exhaust in the summer if that is something to keep in mind for adding or upgrading these pieces. A full catback, I haven't done too much research into what I want but loud is my comfort zone.

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on!

·
Registered
'13 Veloster Turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read in a few places that I should do a tune before I put in a CAI or a BOV, or in this case if I just disconnect the circulator hose (thank you for that link yay for saving money!!). Any truth to this?

I know there is some concern with a new exhaust system and not having a tune on the car. It has higher mileage so I'm skating around not wanting to jack anything up too early on.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Work on foundational mods and using premium fuel first and foremost. This includes proper oil, filter, oil change intervals, vent hoses of valve cover properly, proper plugs and gaps, oem coils with less than 50-60k miles. This will give you a good base to be sure things are safe before modding. At that point you may want to upgrade the fuel line and look into walnut blasting the valves if bad before any other mods or tune. Better to be proactive than reactive with these cars. Most of the 13's on the blown engine club are reactive people.....ooooops, did I say that.....

·
Registered
'13 Veloster Turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Work on foundational mods and using premium fuel first and foremost. This includes proper oil, filter, oil change intervals, vent hoses of valve cover properly, proper plugs and gaps, oem coils with less than 50-60k miles. This will give you a good base to be sure things are safe before modding. At that point you may want to upgrade the fuel line and look into walnut blasting the valves if bad before any other mods or tune. Better to be proactive than reactive with these cars. Most of the 13's on the blown engine club are reactive people.....ooooops, did I say that.....
Thanks for the info! I def don't want to blow this car because it will be my daily for at least, AT LEAST, two years.

That's why I'm treating this like a "explain this to me like I'm five" because these cars are totally unfimilar to me. Putting premium into it stock won't hurt anything? Any suggestions on a specific plug and OEM coils? The car has upwards of 90k on it so I'm sure all of that is nice and crusty and needs some love.

I unfortunately live in an area where there aren't many shops that do tuning so I'm really out in the wild with this.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Premium is actually best to run in these stock or tuned. OEM coils only for the car. Get from Albert Hwang on FB for best price. If you can't find home let me know I'll be the middle man. Plug wise if planning to tune put in HKS M45XL plugs and gap to .024". Tuning is not an issue. Worst case scenario you can get tuned remotely although it would cost more to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts