Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2013 turbo and about 2 days ago I'm pretty sure I came very close to throwing a rod. It's knocking bad barley driveable. With all the negative reviews on the 2013 engine iv been trying to find what is the newest engine I can put it to directly fit? IV seen some good things about the 2016? Can I go newer? I can't seem to find a forum that discusses this topic. Minor experience with doing engine replacement mostly using a friend's shop and brain so would like to make this as simple as possible. Iv also looked into the g4jf any reviews? Also anywhere that sells them assembled? There's alot that I don't have far as cutting rings etc. Any help would be great or a redirect to a forum this has discussed this. Thank you

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Welcome to the forum

2017 is what you can install. Check for sale groups on FB or car-part.com for good used engines that run.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum

2017 is what you can install. Check for sale groups on FB or car-part.com for good used engines that run.
One last question considering your knowledge idk who else who be a good person to ask.. do you have any opinions on the jb4? I currently have it installed would it be a bad idea to carry it over to the new engine?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Piggyback are not a good idea especially on cars that have a crap OEM tune that it's scaling power up on. This is likely why the engine you have is hurt and may be no different with the newer engine. But who knows, you may not be modded to support things better with the JB4 in place either so.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piggyback are not a good idea especially on cars that have a crap OEM tune that it's scaling power up on. This is likely why the engine you have is hurt and may be no different with the newer engine. But who knows, you may not be modded to support things better with the JB4 in place either so.....
I understand I won't be taking any chances thank you!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If you have the fuel wire setup for it and adjust the fueling better it's not as bad but otherwise steer clear unless running better plugs, good coils, 93 pump gas or higher octane, or water/meth injection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the fuel wire setup for it and adjust the fueling better it's not as bad but otherwise steer clear unless running better plugs, good coils, 93 pump gas or higher octane, or water/meth injection.
Oh yeah I have braided fuel line and the fuel connection for the jb4 the recommended spark plugs with the correct gap. I only use 93 but I do not have water/methane injection. If it helps I have Cai, intercooler resonator delete, oil catch can, boomba bov, silicone hoses. Thanks for your time again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum

So somewhere in 2014 the engine was swapped from 8th digit Vin number E to # D.. being that the E is turbo would that be the correct choice? I'm confused to why that happened other than price?

·
Registered
151 Posts
So somewhere in 2014 the engine was swapped from 8th digit Vin number E to # D.. being that the E is turbo would that be the correct choice? I'm confused to why that happened other than price?
The engines between 2013-2017 are the same. The difference is in the internals and some accessory components like coilpacks, harness, upgraded sensors etc. They all mount and bolt up the same. the turbos mount the same on all model years for gen 1 as well. For example I had a 2013 VT with the 6-speed AT. I purchased a 2016 block from a car with the DCT trans. All I had to do was remove the DCT flywheel and bearing and use my flywheel from old engine and of course use the 2013-2014 coilpacks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also. Side note. If you have the funds available to you and have a mechanic friend or are pretty savvy. I recommend buying the engine build kit from KDM tuners. The upgraded rods and Pistons will alleviate future worry. Trust me. I replaced everything in my lower block and didn't do anything to the head. I need to replace my valves, seals and springs haha due to wear and tear. So get the supertech springs too and valves if you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also. Side note. If you have the funds available to you and have a mechanic friend or are pretty savvy. I recommend buying the engine build kit from KDM tuners. The upgraded rods and Pistons will alleviate future worry. Trust me. I replaced everything in my lower block and didn't do anything to the head. I need to replace my valves, seals and springs haha due to wear and tear. So get the supertech springs too and valves if you can.
Is your Lower block damaged?
I'm sure one more drive and the rod will be through it lol, but thanks for clearing that up for me is that something that can be done without too many fancy tools? I'm not sure what all he has but I know he doesn't rebuild engines for a living anymore

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm sure one more drive and the rod will be through it lol, but thanks for clearing that up for me is that something that can be done without too many fancy tools? I'm not sure what all he has but I know he doesn't rebuild engines for a living anymore
Only thing I didn't have was the bit for the head bolts and a piston ring compressor.

The rest is really steady hands, socket and wrench set and a list of torque specs and how to properly line up your timing chain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Side note. I had to drill out one of my head bolts and extract it.
That adds alot of confidence thank you. This is my DD so kinda have to make a good decision lol the guy helping me dosent want to get into rebuilding just a swap but I'm dieing for the g4fj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So just another VT motor swap?
Yea I mean he's willing to do more just circumstances aren't ideal. If I can build the lower and have him help me install would be convenient. He has the lift, hoist ,and all that good stuff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts