Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 2 months ago I blew a head gasket, or at least I thought I did. I originally was trying to chase the problem before I concluded to the hg by flushing coolant twice on 2 different occasions, burping, replaced fan control unit, replaced rad cap. I did not have a chance to replace the tstat as until this weekend along with my hg being replaced because the job was a bit too difficult for me.

So on friday i took it to my mechanic.
He confirmed it was in his words "the head gasket like a mofo was the problem"
He also said I need a new chain tensioner. In picture it shows alot of slack.

I have more questions for him since he was able to see my internals & here are some pics. He said the engine needs to be cleaned which kinda concerned me because i do 3k minimum, but I am at 119,000 miles running an e40 tune. For the last 6 months but idk.

I had been using pup5w30 until my last oil change & used supertech 0w20 for my first time (recommended by my tuner)@ 116k miles. Idk if changing viscosity and or oil would affect me having my hg issue but then again I did swap my coolant on my own for the first time after this last oil change & may have not burped properly causing the hg issue because before dmthatcI never had any overheating or bubbling in reservoir issue. Or maybe it was just that time for my hg & seals/gaskets etc were just at there end of life especially since me and my tuner were upping power little by little & once again my car is high mileage.

This repair consisted of:
-Head gasket replacement (2x oil pump seals
oil cooler seal
2x dip stick tube seals
22224-2b001
22224-2b011
26259-2b000
21144-2b001
26615-2b000
25452-2b000
21144-2b001
21421-2b030
26615-2b000
28312-2e050
28411-2b610
22443-2b600
21443-2b020
25124-2b000
28521-2b700
22441-2b610
22311-2b601)
-Chain Tensioner replacement (24410-2B700)
-Resurfaced Head
-Valve cover replacement (22410-2B611)
-DCT transmission fluid change (Red Line 50504 MT-85 75W85 GL-4 [2 Quarts])
-160° tsat replacement (Napa Balkamp 160° tstat 647666592)
-Serpentine belt replacement (Gates K060494 V-belt)
-Coolant swap (Amsoil HD & Hy-per Cool waterwetter)
-Oil change (Amazon Basics full synthetic 5w-30) [first time use]
-Oem oil filter (26300-35505)

Let me know any feedback or questions! Thanks

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Many things could be possible causes to your issues. Most likely not a single cause but a combination of things. I think the tensioner is supposed to have some slack in it but not sure ho much. They do wear over time though. At least you got things fixed. If only you got the head studded while in there.....

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
How much is all that going to set you back?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
$420 total originally, but then he discovered the chain tensioner issue which added another $78. So total so far im at $498.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on whole car including hg issue!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I may go live on FB when I go for a 12 second pass with my VT on 4/5 and dedicate the first 12 second pass to Brian.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You had all that done for under $500?? That seems really cheap.
Did you get a chance to peek at the back of the intake valves and see if they were all carboned up?
Also, you replaced the whole valve cover or just the valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You had all that done for under $500?? That seems really cheap.
Did you get a chance to peek at the back of the intake valves and see if they were all carboned up?
Also, you replaced the whole valve cover or just the valve cover gasket?
I purchased everything listed in the post & the only thing was used, but actually looked new was the Valve cover & gasket.

I didnt get to see the intake valves unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My old valve cover at 119k miles

Ignore dust & leaves, jus threw in grass area and it got like that after I took the pic.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
now you can clean that up, have the 10mm hole fixed and resell it :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ughhh, i think the HG blew again i was under load getting on freeway and i lost power and white smoke coming out pcv & breather tubes and a little from exhaust!

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
Oh no! Looks like a 90s skate rink smoke machine. How many hours does it take to replace the HG in our car?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
i didn't know they were still in business.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just be sure this will fix the reason of you're bad turbo and if so be sure take the turbo to a qualified shop to do the work and assembly balance it to be sure it does not blow itself apart.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My car has been down since Oct with same symptoms as yours. I fear my hg is done for as well at 47k miles. I will remove as many mods as possible and take it to dealer to try to warranty the repair, but if they don't accept it would you be willing to share your mechanic's info? I wanna get back in my VT already.

RIP XE

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to try and save up the $1600 for the stuffed turbo. During these COVID times I'm actually saving money not driving & my job has placed me in a hotel.

@fastswimmerguy 47k with a HG issue? hhmmm and you are tork tuned...? hmmmm I saw on KDMTuners IG last week an HG issue from a tork tuned customer. I would recommend finding a local mechanic or someone you know who will do the job knowledgeably.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm going to try and save up the $1600 for the stuffed turbo. During these COVID times I'm actually saving money not driving & my job has placed me in a hotel.

@fastswimmerguy 47k with a HG issue? hhmmm and you are tork tuned...? hmmmm I saw on KDMTuners IG last week an HG issue from a tork tuned customer. I would recommend finding a local mechanic or someone you know who will do the job knowledgeably.
Nice! I was hoping you would upgrade.
Sounds like if you're pushing a lot of boost a set of ARP head studs might be useful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts