Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first exhaust so excuse any noobness. I got the Borla S-Type Axle back exhaust - it said it fits Gen 1 NA velosters and the gen 1 Turbo Velosters. I have a 2016 VT.

Anyway, question is the flange that mates up over the axle was slightly off angle. So a lot of the hangers are getting pushed / pulled and the one is resting against the body where the spare tire would be (and not even hanging on the hanger, but shoving it up toward the floor). The whole axle back section is kind of rotating up and toward the driver's side due to the flange angle not being quite correct. It's kind of obvious this was really made for the NAV, but they say it fits the Turbo...which it kind of does so I figured I'd give it a try

Do you think this is okay? What are people's thoughts?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Ya so not the same and sounds like you have the wrong exhaust. Modify what you have to work or get the proper exhaust on the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya so not the same and sounds like you have the wrong exhaust. Modify what you have to work or get the proper exhaust on the car.
Yeah, here's the thing - I've never seen another axle back for the VT. Do you think it'll hurt anything in the long term?

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
can you bend the hanger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you bend the hanger?
Yes, and I should, which will solve the hanger stretching issue. But the exhaust at the rear is still going to push up against the floor. I guess that's more what I'm worried about. You can see what i'm talking about in the second to last picture, where the hanger is welded to the exhaust pipe on the top it pushes up into the floor. Bending the hangers won't solve that issue because it's caused by the angle of the flange at the axle. So short of changing that flange (which i'm not able to do with my abilities) the top of the hanger at the weld will always rub on the body. Should I worry about it?

It's annoying cause it's reaaaaaaally close to fitting

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
you could bring it to a shop and have them move the hanger underneath.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Proper exhaust for the car or have a shop build you one to your specs. Modify anything on this one may make it harder to sell later and modify anything on the car and exhaust for the car will no longer fit properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Proper exhaust for the car or have a shop build you one to your specs. Modify anything on this one may make it harder to sell later and modify anything on the car and exhaust for the car will no longer fit properly.
I hear you, thanks for the thoughts gents

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
317 Posts
I hear you, thanks for the thoughts gents
It's pretty dang close and I think a good exhaust shop can work their magic on the hangers and pipes to make it fit perfect without damaging anything or affecting the sound.
It's up to you if you like it for how it sounds.
Good luck. 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
at this point i would have removed the axleback and put it in a vice and used my favorite hammer and crowbar. :)

Reactions: Rustbeltbrett

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
It isn’t going to hurt anything leaving as is but I bet it’s very annoying.

Reactions: Rustbeltbrett

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, this is my first exhaust so excuse any noobness. I got the Borla S-Type Axle back exhaust - it said it fits Gen 1 NA velosters and the gen 1 Turbo Velosters. I have a 2016 VT.

Anyway, question is the flange that mates up over the axle was slightly off angle. So a lot of the hangers are getting pushed / pulled and the one is resting against the body where the spare tire would be (and not even hanging on the hanger, but shoving it up toward the floor). The whole axle back section is kind of rotating up and toward the driver's side due to the flange angle not being quite correct. It's kind of obvious this was really made for the NAV, but they say it fits the Turbo...which it kind of does so I figured I'd give it a try

Do you think this is okay? What are people's thoughts?

View attachment 105366 View attachment 105367 View attachment 105368 View attachment 105369

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also have a'16 Turbo. Thankfully, mechanic was able torch off the end of the exhaust. It basically lines up, just not perfect.
Yeah, the way you have it modified is exactly what would need to happen for it to fit better. Annoyed they say this fits the VT bit whatever. How much did they charge you to do that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts