Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped for gas in rural South Carolina and was puzzled that the pumps had 87 - 87 - 91. After a closer inspection the second 87 was ethanol free! It costs 20 cents more and I went ahead and filled it up.

While I was in the store I asked the clerk why/how they had ethanol free gas and the scary looking but very nice locals said that they got a lot of off road and farm vehicles and that really need it and well - they can because they are not in a metro area.

Performance seems about the same or better and the mileage seems better. But you can't really tell by only using one tank.

Anyone else have any experience with ethanol free gas?

·
Registered
945 Posts
theres a few gas stations down here that sell it, down here its mostly for the boats, havent been willing to try it in the VT... i might though lol

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah I've tried it, didn't notice much difference. I tried 87 too, I imagine 93 would be better but there's not any close. I run e free in my other toys and mowers. I really expected much better mileage but didn't see much.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would not think that you would see better performance than with an ethanol blend. I would think that you would actually make less power with ethanol free gas.

I would suspect that you get better gas mileage though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, the performance seemed about the same and was definitely not worse. I don't usually do long highway drives and my VT MT is great in 6th gear from 60-100 anyway.

The traffic on the way back when I bought this gas was congested in the left lane so I did more right lane passing - which I hate - that required much more acceleration than usual. While that requires more gas my trip up had a lot more high speed driving which also takes more gas. But I did get about 2 more mpg. Again a single tank is just anecdotal evidence.

Is 2 mpg on the highway worth 20 cents a gallon?

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Ethanol free gasoline has more btu's than ethanol enriched gasoline.

Therefore you will obtain more horsepower and more miles per gallon
by using ethanol free gasoline.

Not to mention the freedom from all the problems associated with using
ethanol enriched gasoline. And there are many!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I normally use 93 ethanol free in the VT and 87 ethanol free in my Optima Hybrid. Mileage is clearly better with ethanol free and most noticeable in my hybrid. I normally achieve 2 to 3 mpg more using ethanol free over the blended gasoline. Since I drive 400 miles a week avg on my commute. The small up-charge is well worth it in the long run. I get about 50 more miles per tank, which is 200 additional miles over a months time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ethanol free gasoline has more btu's than ethanol enriched gasoline.

Therefore you will obtain more horsepower and more miles per gallon
by using ethanol free gasoline.

Not to mention the freedom from all the problems associated with using
ethanol enriched gasoline. And there are many!

I think you are right. I was thinking that due to ethanols high octane, you would see better performance. I didn't think about it well enough though. 87 octane is 87 octane, not 87+ whatever ethanol gives you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you are right. I was thinking that due to ethanols high octane, you would see better performance. I didn't think about it well enough though. 87 octane is 87 octane, not 87+ whatever ethanol gives you.
hes right when i auto cross my vt i go put in 93 ethanol free it gives you more power and better mpg,you can see local stations around your area at
http://pure-gas.org/

theres one in east peoria mike that has 93 on site says 91 but they have 93 also

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i'll never put anything in my car greater than 87. doing just fine with my 32-35mpg.

we got couple of ethanol free 87 around here. I only use it for my lawn mower and trimmer though.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
theres a few gas stations down here that sell it, down here its mostly for the boats, havent been willing to try it in the VT... i might though lol
Lots of boating gas stations here in Panama City... Filled up with 90 octane ethanol free today, we'll see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I normally use 93 ethanol free in the VT and 87 ethanol free in my Optima Hybrid. Mileage is clearly better with ethanol free and most noticeable in my hybrid. I normally achieve 2 to 3 mpg more using ethanol free over the blended gasoline. Since I drive 400 miles a week avg on my commute. The small up-charge is well worth it in the long run. I get about 50 more miles per tank, which is 200 additional miles over a months time.
2-3 mpg sounds about right.

Ethanol may be slightly cleaner, theoretically, but when you consider it's manufacture and shipping, that cancels it. Too much of it in gasoline can damage your engine. That 10% that they post on the pump can vary.

I wish we had it locally.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When i went to east-coast lastweek, I fiiled my tank with 91-93 ethanol free gas and noticed my mileage and performance improved.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Only ethanol free we have in Vegas is 110 but expensive...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts