Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went to auto zone and picked up a Thrush 2.5" glasspack today. After reading reviews on a bunch of different glasspacks, I decided to go with this one for a few reasons.

When the flanges are cut down ~2" on each side, it should just fit in the area between the flex pipe and the first exhaust bend, replacing the stock resonator. The magnaflow was to long and the cherry bomb that wasn't to long needed to be ordered and was about 5" shorter than this one, which meant it wouldn't do as good of a job, calming the sound down.

With the small turbo (backpressure/muffler/restriction) and the stock cat helping to keep the systems noise level down, the glasspack should be all that I need to keep the exhaust at a good noise level while sounding quite good.

The exhaust from the axle back (flange to tips) will be removed and then re-done with 2.5" piping and a WYE to 2-2" pipes that sit right where the stockers sit.

No muffler, just the turbo, cat and glasspack.

After owning a 2.0T car with only a resonator and my old SRT-4 with only a resonator, I think the VTurbo should be quiet enough while cruising and not be annoying but sound quite good when WOT.

The Tiburon and the SRT-4 had a bigger motor than the V as well as bigger turbos and NO cat. They both sounded great but were a little TOO loud under normal driving conditions and WOT. My hope is that with keeping the cat install AND the smaller turbo, the noise will be pretty perfect.

Oh, and the entire system including parts AND labor is going to cost about 150$. The glasspack was 30$ and I was quoted ~100$ for the piping and welding. There will only be a little 2.5" piping required, a WYE, some 2" piping and a flange.

I will report back once the work is done.

The shop has a 1 year warranty on their work. The glasspack also has a 1 year warranty.

Should be a very free flowing exhaust that will hopefully sound great while costing very little.

The stock bends in the system are very minor and the piping just looks to be higher quality than what you usually see stock on a car. i haven't confirmed if it is in fact SS or not yet.

As seen in the pictures below, you can see how smooth most of the exhaust is, besides when you get to the big muffler with the duals coming out the side o_O

The Vturbo in the pictures of the main exhaust channel had the resonator replaced with straight piping.

In the rear, I am thinking a couple 45 pipes, then a WYE with 2-2" pipes welded to the stock (whatever you want to call it) that keeps the pipes in line.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just went to auto zone and picked up a Thrush 2.5" glasspack today. After reading reviews on a bunch of different glasspacks, I decided to go with this one for a few reasons.

When the flanges are cut down ~2" on each side, it should just fit in the area between the flex pipe and the first exhaust bend, replacing the stock resonator. The magnaflow was to long and the cherry bomb that wasn't to long needed to be ordered and was about 5" shorter than this one, which meant it wouldn't do as good of a job, calming the sound down.

With the small turbo (backpressure/muffler/restriction) and the stock cat helping to keep the systems noise level down, the glasspack should be all that I need to keep the exhaust at a good noise level while sounding quite good.

The exhaust from the axle back (flange to tips) will be removed and then re-done with 2.5" piping and a WYE to 2-2" pipes that sit right where the stockers sit.

No muffler, just the turbo, cat and glasspack.

After owning a 2.0T car with only a resonator and my old SRT-4 with only a resonator, I think the VTurbo should be quiet enough while cruising and not be annoying but sound quite good when WOT.

The Tiburon and the SRT-4 had a bigger motor than the V as well as bigger turbos and NO cat. They both sounded great but were a little TOO loud under normal driving conditions and WOT. My hope is that with keeping the cat install AND the smaller turbo, the noise will be pretty perfect.

Oh, and the entire system including parts AND labor is going to cost about 150$. The glasspack was 30$ and I was quoted ~100$ for the piping and welding. There will only be a little 2.5" piping required, a WYE, some 2" piping and a flange.

I will report back once the work is done.

The shop has a 1 year warranty on their work. The glasspack also has a 1 year warranty.

Should be a very free flowing exhaust that will hopefully sound great while costing very little.

The stock bends in the system are very minor and the piping just looks to be higher quality than what you usually see stock on a car. i haven't confirmed if it is in fact SS or not yet.
Should sound cool! raspy probably! You know i'll be waiting for a video haha

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post a video, exactly how the exhaust was done with documentation of every bit of piping that was needed as well as the thrush part #. I will even post the exact cost so people know what to expect to pay for it.

Reactions: vinhtvu2

·
Registered
242 Posts
Usually the first mod for a stock turbo car is to free up the exhaust for quicker spooling...but since this car's turbo is a small twin-scroll, I have been curious how much more you can get out of an already quick boosting system. I'm in the process of trying to get myself into one of these and possibly do 1 mod at a time with dyno runs, sad thing is closest one to me is 5 hours away -_-

Anyways I'm waiting for the video as well...if I snag one I was planning on a Borla system while keeping the same tips to keep the stock look. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Turbosocks, would you mind cutting open your stock muffler exposing the guts after you get it off the car? I am very curious to see how or what the chambers look like.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
im wondering , with the more free flowing exhaust, maybe the bennifit isnt the turbo spooling up faster , but letting the engine itself breath better for 2-5 extra HP , i wonder what kind of HP gains the guys with the normally aspirated v's are seeing with a more free flowing exhaust

·
Registered
242 Posts
It would be apple and oranges comparing n/a to FI when talking about exhaust work. Thinking about an electronic cutout instead of doing massive exhaust work :D, would achieve what I want, when I want...while still maintaining stock exhaust system with stock gas mileage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Turbosocks, would you mind cutting open your stock muffler exposing the guts after you get it off the car? I am very curious to see how or what the chambers look like.

Thanks!

i to am hoping you dont mind cutting up the stock muff, if its full of nasty baffels , i think a borla axel back is in the works

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I got the exhaust done yesterday!!

The guy doing the exhaust said that there would be hardly any difference replacing the stock resonator with the thrush turbo, so we didn't. I ended up taking the glasspack back and returning it to auto zone.

I didn't end up keeping the stock muffler because I didn't really have anywhere to put it. It obviously was quite restrictive because the exhaust gets quite LOUD under high rpm and full boost. I will try and get a video today some time at least revving while sitting still.

Hyundais 1.6L definitely isn't the best sounding motor but it sounds pretty good. It doesn't get very loud until you are in the 3krpm range and under 40%+ throttle. Under normal driving it isn't that loud. Under cruise conditions you can hardly hear it.

When idling you would not even know there is an open exhaust system on the car.

When I am boosting from very low rpm, you can still hear the intake system (SRI) even with the exhaust.

If I were comparing it to a similar sound it would be when you remove the muffler from most NA vehicles and add a thrush or similar glasspack.

Here are a couple pictures of the work getting done.. What they did was hack off the muffler, install a WYE and then two S pipes that connected to the stock outlet system. They left about 4" of pipe on the outlets and welded the S's to them. I will get a pictures of it when I jack it up sometime.

I haven't REALLY gotten on the car very much since the work was done so I don't have much to comment on feeling a difference. Since i didn't have the thrush installed, the entire thing ended up costing 190$ out the door. less than 200$ for a pretty much open exhaust is not bad at all in my opinion. The stock piping, again, is VERY well done as far as how well it will flow and the size.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is a crappy picture of the exhaust without it jacked up.

The way it is done, I can easily remove it (which I will) just like an axle back system so I can coat it in some high temp paint to keep the welds from rusting. The piping and WYE is galvanized but the welds can still rust.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quieter than this, haha.

Would need to be small to route the piping though.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well get video tomorrow.. Need to fix the stupid hids first

·
Registered
148 Posts
What problems are you have with your HIDs?

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts