Are you running BOV recirculate or to atmosphere

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im a noob here and i am curious which is a better choice, to run the bov to recirculate or to atmosphere. looking for pros and cons on both.

what are you guys running mostly. and what kinda benefits are you seeing to with that way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some will say you get better MPG by re-circ, I have ran both and I do not see a difference. You will obviously get the BOV sound while venting to the atmosphere, about the only difference I have noticed.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The fueling in the VT is decided by a manifold absolute pressure (map) sensor not a mass air flow (maf) sensors. Because of this, there is no performance difference. The only difference will be that the one is louder.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The fueling in the VT is decided by a manifold absolute pressure (map) sensor not a mass air flow (maf) sensors. Because of this, there is no performance difference. The only difference will be that the one is louder.
This is correct. These valves serve the purpose of keeping the air moving after the throttle plate closes to prolong turbocharger life. That's it.

Some say that recirculating will help turbo to spool quicker..... I prefer the noise!:smile:
As far as I know, turbine wheel -> shaft -> compressor wheel assembly is driven by exhaust gases. The only way to make a turbo spool faster would be to have it fed more more/faster/hotter exhaust gases through the turbine housing.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Im a noob here and i am curious which is a better choice, to run the bov to recirculate or to atmosphere. looking for pros and cons on both.

what are you guys running mostly. and what kinda benefits are you seeing to with that way.
Your an M/T,...recirc or not wont impact you as much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm currently running the stock bypass valve with an injen intake, though I have ran the HKS knockoff. There is a performance improvement by running a re-circulated BOV due to that precious boost being re-circulated back into the intake pipe at a location and angle so that the air pressure is forced onto the compressor wheel. This should help to keep the turbo spooled up in between shifts, or times when you are quickly on and off the gas pedal. Now does it feel as much of an improvement on this car? Not really in my opinion and I think that's because the turbo on this car is so small that there really isn't much turbo lag to begin with. I plan to pick a DV, I'm unsure at this point if I'm going to recirculate or not with it, I'm leaning towards VTA.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your an M/T,...recirc or not wont impact you as much.

I always thought it was the other way around. I've never driven a boosted automatic vehicle before, but I always was under the impression that as long as you lay on the gas, the butterfly valve is never closing and therefore the BOV never releases between shifts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts