Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been having loads of issues with my VT recently turbo wise, they dealer couldn't fix it, no codes thrown-- called corperate and they got a better dealership on the job, old one called up asking for me to rate them perfect 10 stars :disappointed: anyhow. Got a call from the new dealer, they said my issues sound like they are pointing to the BPV, they said they have had 2-3 turbos come in for the diaphragm being torn.

This is my guess, Due to the BPV mod being done and removing the hose, water got in the BPV during this winter and froze up, once I got driving the car the frozen diaphragm could have torn causing tons of issues. Now I understand this mod is cheap but every other open air BOV I've had in the past was a metal piston operated unit, and thus wouldn't suffer from the above.

I'm no mechanic by any means, but just wanted to give you guys the heads up about this so you might consider picking up a real BOV or skipping the mod, I'll keep this thread updated once the dealer gives me the final verdict, just figured I'd share my experience having 3 other VT's come in with the same issue makes me feel like a lot of people were either doing the mod and having issues, or the part is just s**t from the factory.

You would have to intentionally spray water in there, and even then, it wouldn't damage anything unless you decided to pump ounces of water in.

the rubber is torn because with other things on these vehicles, they are made quite cheaply and obviously not engineered for the temperature variations or pressure variations very well.

People had cracks in the rubber diaphragms at low miles with no mod done.
So it might just be a crap part, either way figured I'd share my experience with everyone.

Seeing how the hose has long since been in the rubbish bin we will see if they try to pull the "No warranty because you tampered with the valve" song and dance. Will keep post updated.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
People had BPV leaks/tears before it got cold so I am assuming it is simply a cheap ass part/design and has nothing to do with water freezing due cold weather

·
Registered
227 Posts
The diaphragm is rubber...it can tear easily in any type of BOV that uses a diaphragm. Friend of mine had a Tial BOV on his truck and had to replace it because the diaphragm tore.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People had BPV leaks/tears before it got cold so I am assuming it is simply a cheap ass part/design and has nothing to do with water freezing due cold weather
Shit, Well I lost the hose that connects the BPV to the intake so I KNOW they are going to give me shit, If they verify this is the issue might have to see if Forge Motorsports or anyone offers an alternative yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
To alleviate mis-information.. I am going to re-title the thread.

Also, Removing the BPV hose will NOT let water in. There is no where for water to be sucked in. The opening faces the engine bay, not the front of the car.

You would have to intentionally spray water in there, and even then, it wouldn't damage anything unless you decided to pump ounces of water in.

the rubber is torn because with other things on these vehicles, they are made quite cheaply and obviously not engineered for the temperature variations or pressure variations very well.

People had cracks in the rubber diaphragms at low miles with no mod done.

It is a material thing, not a BPV hose mod thing.

The bypass plate sits UNDER the BPV/BOV so unless there was an inch of water in there, it wouldn't touch the BPV itself or introduce water into the system.

The dealer will NOT be able to point any fingers at the missing hose. They would have more trouble coming up with a reason it caused it than it would be worth, I would assume.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Having pulled my stock BPV last weekend I can attest to it's cheap-assed design

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
So? was yours cracked or just cheaply made but still good?
Mine? .. it still works but I replaced it with a Forge BPV

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
time for a TS HKS Style is all i'm reading in here! :D

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
patience young grasshopper is all you need!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, maybe it isn't due to the hose being removed. I guess I had to much faith in Hyundai! It was the only thing I could come up with for why I'd go bad at only 20k miles.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
what are signs it is bad? my car gets 16-17 psi but feels wavy the whole time?
The wave, or pulsing is a trait of this car. It doesn't point to a faulty BPV because my car did it and mine was OK. I haven't driven it since I fitted the Forge, but I'm hoping this might stop that issue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its just a junk part. I have always ran the bypass hose and noticed 3 or 4 tears starting in mine at 13,000 miles. Much happier with the TurboXs bov.
uploadfromtaptalk1395814567652.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts