Veloster Turbo Forum banner
281 - 300 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
added this to the hose today .. makes it sound so much better slight while sound .. closest thing to a bov. and for only $2 worth it :) Brass Metal Copper Nozzle Steel

·
Registered
65 Posts
its not quite the same as that .. it still a huge opening prob reduces the opening by 15-20 % of its original size but doesn't seem to impede the airflow from what i can tell .. think its that bad of a idea to have anything at all on that tube.. I've seen others with filters on there and other metal end caps ..

·
Registered
335 Posts
its not quite the same as that .. it still a huge opening prob reduces the opening by 15-20 % of its original size but doesn't seem to impede the airflow from what i can tell .. think its that bad of a idea to have anything at all on that tube.. I've seen others with filters on there and other metal end caps ..
those other people are idiots.... any restriction you put is gonna add pressure to the turbo compressor wheel which will eventually damage it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ok ya got me re thinking it now.. ill take it off only had it on there for like 2 mins around the block ..

i guess i should really invest in a real bov as I'm loving the sound too much

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've read some people say its louder and better when the tube is removed .. perhaps i should remove the bumper this weekend and remove the hose .. is its a bit louder id be all for it ..

·
Registered
65 Posts
i tried then and i can get at the clamp or even feel it with my needle nose pliers.. I've got some new h8 bulbs and resonator pipe coming in in a week or two i may as well do it all when i remove the bumper.. but i have removed the fitting from the bpv hose.. i didn't read enough into it and don't want any damage to the turbo.. I'm a new to turbo modding and remember .. just cause ya read it on the internet doesn't mean its all true ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
i tried then and i can get at the clamp or even feel it with my needle nose pliers.. I've got some new h8 bulbs and resonator pipe coming in in a week or two i may as well do it all when i remove the bumper.. but i have removed the fitting from the bpv hose.. i didn't read enough into it and don't want any damage to the turbo.. I'm a new to turbo modding and remember .. just cause ya read it on the internet doesn't mean its all true ;)
very true somebody should tell that to the guy who swears that the bpv hose loops back to his turbo because he read it on the internet. But you can be sure that topping that hose or restricting it will def cause damage to your compressor wheel because the only time that the bpv should open is when there is that unnecessary back pressure so it opens to release the pressure so that it does not push backwards towards the wheel and cause damage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
did this 2 dollar mod in 2 minutes with pliers, so far great, just enough noise for me. I just have the hose poking around under the stock intake, is the air blowing out from there hot enough to do any damage to anything? any suggestions on where to "point" it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Happens?

What happens wiht an air filter, air filters are made for air to pass through them with minimal restirction. only really blocking particulate matter thats too large to pass throu it, but if its blowing out it will actually keep the air filter clean. have you had a blown turbo from a clogged BPV? I am sorry if I seem dumb about this, i am new to the turbo world and have done this mod, the mechanics of it dont seem to be contradictory, air will pass through the unclogged air filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did mine and put an air filter on the tube from the BPV that now acts like a BOV, one of those small ones. it supposedly will keep wasps and the like from getting in there while the car sits for a few days, but i hear your not supposed to put the filter on, it doesn't make sense to me though because the air is blowing out of the tube not sucking in, so theoretically it will keep the air ilter clean because air is blowing out of the filter not sucking dirt in, you dont have to worry about engine compartment heat since the open tube is actually blowing air out not sucking hot engine compartment air in. Just my opinion, I am a rookie so dont quote me...lol

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
You put a breather filter on the breather hose that attaches to the intake pipe. The BOV hose can be removed so the BOV blows off like any other BOV. If you leave the hose on it's wise to put a filter on it to keep bugs from crawling up in there. Mud Daubers are famous for building their mud nest in places like that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I believe he put a filter on the BPV hose, not the intake inlet. His question is: why is this bad if filters are meant to pass air through? The answer: placing a filter on the BPV hose causes flutter and surging because air is not released quick enough. Even a filter is too much restriction in most cases and is not advisable. If something gets in it will most likely be blown out anyways. Or if one is that worried they could also placed a mesh piece over it, avoiding tight mesh as this may cause a restriction.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
DO NOT PUT A FILTER ON THE HOSE.

It restricts the blow off air and if your BPV can't fully express the air when the throttle body closes. If the air can't get out fast and completely it will need to go somewhere. That somewhere will be your turbo. IF you want to blow your turbo that is your choice. If you have mud wasps or other beasts and bugs, make a bag filter from window screen or the similar.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love necro posting. Any long term effects yet? If 100% safe even in the occasional dust storm, I'm doing it. (In AZ we call them haboobs... They aren't as bad as most people make them sound. Just don't be standing in it since it's like a razor storm to skin)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I love necro posting. Any long term effects yet? If 100% safe even in the occasional dust storm, I'm doing it. (In AZ we call them haboobs... They aren't as bad as most people make them sound. Just don't be standing in it since it's like a razor storm to skin)
Every car that has done this has blown up.

Reactions: Poolnoodle

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A lot of aftermarket intakes don't make use of the BPV (and effectively require doing this MOD) so there's huge pool of test subjects out there. Just don't block/filter the hose. It's fine.

281 - 300 of 324 Posts