Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo, Elite White, AT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a loud roaring/whirring/grinding noise coming from the front end. After reading some reviews I was convinced that the tires were the culprit. Once it was obvious that they weren't the problem, I moved on to the brakes. Even though there was still some material on the pads I replaced all four corners, but the roaring remained. Finally I decided to check the wheel bearings. Bingo, at least the front passenger bearing is bad, though I will replace both fronts for symmetry.

Anyway, while working on it tonight I found that the passenger side lower ball joint was shot. The rubber boot was torn in two and the joint itself was difficult to move. It needs replacing, so now the questions are 1. ball joint or entire LCA? and 2. one side or both? One of the LCA bushings is showing signs of wear, so probably the entire LCA. But it is a good idea to replace both sides when one side goes bad?

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,784 Posts
Yes, replace all to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
3,890 Posts
entire LCA. both sides. you can also get a kit with tierods and swaybar endlinks. there is a very large very tight nut on the back of the LCA which super sucks. good luck.

although i only replaced one side when the wheel bearing/intermediate shaft bearing on my car was going out.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo, Elite White, AT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I went ahead and ordered the pair of LCAs. The wheel bearings are pressed out, though I pressed the first one right into the receiver... of the same diameter. Man that sucked. The bearing steel chewed the teeth right off a carbide tipped reciprocating saw blade but eventually yielded to an hour of dremel grinding. I also didn't notice that I was cutting into the driver's side hub shaft when removing the inner bearing race. Luckily AZ had one in stock a few miles from home. Those bearing lock rings are also just a joy to pry off. But hey, it went about as well as I could hope for a first effort.

At least all of the LCA bolts were really easy to remove xD

·
Super Moderator
3,890 Posts
i ended up taking it all apart in the garage, hammering out the hub and bearing myself and brought it to a shop to reassemble the knuckle.

that's great about the LCA bolts. the big nut is like a ton of lbft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts