Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and looking for any and all help. I have a '13 Veloster Turbo, A/T with close to 50k miles. When trying to accelerate hard, the engine starts making a noise that sounds kind of like a backfire, but the car jerks along with it. Recently went in for the recall on the fuel feed line, which was supposed to help with the issue. It did not help in the slightest. I have a TurboSocks SRI, an 845 Motorsports Catless Downpipes, and a Magnaflow Catback exhaust. It throws a CEL, which I had AutoZone inspect today. It threw these codes:

P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0136 02 Circuit(Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

I purchased spark plugs just to give it a shot. If that does not resolve my issue, what would the forum suggest? Has anyone else had this issue? Any and all help and suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I recommend torching it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
50k is a good time to change the plugs regardless of the misfires or not.

My stab at it;
(a) plugs are on their way out
(b) 3 & 4 coils took a shit
(c) P0300 code caused by (b)
(d) P0136 code caused by misfires

Here are a few things to try before buying new everything;
1- as Swordfish said, clean all the grounds up, here is a good DIY from Trdtoy; http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-turbo-diy/12639-ground-point-locations-around-engine-bay.html
2- check your intake for any leaks or loose connections
3- do as X said and check your intake track and valves for heavy grime build-up (I doubt it would be so bad that there is enough grime at 50k to cause misfires but you never know, especially with no catch cans and one of those common cone filters)
Do 1-3 first, these are pretty easy and cheap and a good idea to do no matter the issue.

4- clear all the codes and move the coils on 3&4 to 1&2 and see if the misfire codes follow the coils to the other cylinders (this will tell you it's the coils)
5- change your spark plugs last (unless your current plugs look broken) you don't want to foul out brand new plugs if the old ones aren't issue

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Put all the stock parts back on and go WOT between 0 and 4k rpms back and forth infront of the dealership until it goes boom. May want to have a tow company on speed dial.

Or just take the advice of the others and get it fixed before the engine blows.

Try to avoid WOT below 4k rpms till ya get it worked on... or ever.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Put all the stock parts back on and go WOT between 0 and 4k rpms back and forth infront of the dealership until it goes boom. May want to have a tow company on speed dial.

Or just take the advice of the others and get it fixed before the engine blows.

Try to avoid WOT below 4k rpms till ya get it worked on... or ever.
I replaced my pedal with a button. So it's either WOT or off. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Agree with X... Sounds like your car is about to have a massive heart attack. You're catching the warning signs...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Return to stock. That way your prepared for the heart attack and going into the dealer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carbonated valves and intake runners would be my guess. Get them (bore)scoped and see how dirty they are. Guessing you didn't run catch cans.
20160604_113352.jpg

Pulled the plugs just to rule that out. This is what a buddy and I found. Changed them, and the car runs fine now. Didn't run cans, but will be doing so. And I'm definitely going to get everything scoped just to double check.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Your plugs have burned oil on them. So probably catch can would help this or you have a slight oil burning issue elsewhere. You can tell by the white ashy part then black ring. They're not horrible but here is a worst case scenario chart.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

Can we make a sticky for "Car running poorly" to say "pull the damn plugs and post a pic and check gap"

·
Registered
342 Posts
One of the far right is nuts lol

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

1 - 15 of 15 Posts