Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm not too sure what the term "breaking in" mreans/involves but when I got my first car (kia forte sx) I was told not to drive it hard or floor it before my first oil change or 3k miles.
What does it mean and when does it usually happen?
For the VT, what mileage is recommended for first oil change?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The hyundai owners booklet says there is no specified break in period for the veloster, however a good rule of thumb is to no be launching it , redlining it, driving in low gears at high speeds, or speeds over the posted speed limit. All things you should never be doing anyways. It then says that you should drive the car at a variety of speeds "this would be the break in method "
So i'm not too sure what the term "breaking in" mreans/involves but when I got my first car (kia forte sx) I was told not to drive it hard or floor it before my first oil change or 3k miles.
What does it mean and when does it usually happen?
For the VT, what mileage is recommended for first oil change?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The manual says 600 miles with no heavy acceleration and keep the revs between 2,000-4,000 rpm and avoid driving at constant speeds and don't idle more than 3 minutes.

That's pretty much what I did - except when it smoothed out after 3-400 miles I would occasionally accelerate fairly hard and let it hit 5,000 rpms every once in a while. I don't plan on seeing redline until about 1,000 miles and I plan on keeping the first oil in it until 3,000 miles. Supposedly new cars have a special blend of oil and/or filter from the factory for the break-in period.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in the manual about a break in period. But I know it says your first change should be at 3000 miles. I got mine changed at 2990 and had the dealership put the Quaker State synthetic in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Friends are telling me to use Mobile1 Synthetic.
Anyways, I think i'll do an oil change around 2.5k miles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've always been a fan of Mobile1 synth. I, however, am getting free oil changes for the next 6 years, so I have to run what the dealer will be putting in -- which is Quaker synth.
At the min, do your oil every 3K. with the turbo. Which is what the manual says anyhow for the turbo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would be the average cost of getting an oil change when you buy your own Mobile1 2 Pack from Wal-mart and pay for just the labor?

·
Registered
193 Posts
What would be the average cost of getting an oil change when you buy your own Mobile1 2 Pack from Wal-mart and pay for just the labor?
5 quart jug Mobil1 synth is about $25 bucks. Oil filters can vary significantly depending on the "quality" you desire. If you are going to change frequently then you can run a lower priced filter as you will be replacing at every change; so ~$10 for the filter. You will also want to get the drain plug gasket/washer (so others have said, and if it's there then yes, replace also). I dunno how much a local would charge to change for you, but if youre buying all your stuff then you might as well go ahead and change yourself... there's a little pride built into that feat. But it shouldnt take more than 30-45 mins if you can figure out how to get under the car :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't want to risk ANYTHING so i'll most likely just buy the stuff I need and ask a local shop.
This is much cheaper than the prepaid service at dealers, no?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know the customer cost for oil change service at dealership. I hear that most have gotten the first service for free -- so call and ask on that one. I ended up buying one of the warranty packages up front (I know they get you with those) but as stated, I get free service (fluids, oil, filters, etc.) for the first 6 years, or 100K, with no "deductable" so after a little quick math factoring the miles I drive plus I plan on being in service at EVERY 3K miles, it seemed worth it for me.

A local guy shouldn't charge you more than $10 to change your oil and filter considering youre bringing your own supplies. Also, you can go to the "rapid-lube" shops and give them youre stuff and they will change it too. They charge around $10-15 to do it with your supplies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read something on the hyundai service website about having to use a hyundai oil filter because aftermarket ones leak..or something is that BS?
I'm sure they would like for you to use "all hyundai" branded parts and fluids. I'm not technical enough to be able to tell you if they have put a thread pattern on the filter housing that would be hyundai specific or not, but I could say it is very possible that it is more of a metric vs standard measurement issue. Kind of like the wheel studs. I would just make sure the non-oem filter says it's compatible with the car. Not what some guy at the parts store counter tells you is compatible.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The VT is basically an Accent engine so I don't see why they would change the threads on the oil filter and make it impossible to service at all the quicky lube joints.

What I do know is that the drain plug and the oil filter are a pain to access unless you have the car on a lift or at a quicky lube joint. In my past experience once you go to the dealer or a quicky lube joint they will start mailing you coupons that bring the cost down to about the same as buying the oil and filter from a store.

Let me direct your attention to that maintenance log that is in your glove box. That is also known as your warranty backstop. You don't have to have the Hyundai dealer do your oil changes but you have to record when they were done and keep the receipts. Some guy did my oil changes probably won't cut it if you want Hyundai to replace your engine at 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just did my first oil change at 2100 miles and my oil was black as my car lol! It still had probably more miles to go on it but naw. The break in period I presume is longer. A lot of research and people I know at my shop that have more knowledge say to keep in the period of break in to 2000 miles and it is still breaking in.
Well I ended up using a Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 5w30!!! I did see a bit of difference in how the motor reacted haha! I love my VT!

·
Registered
157 Posts
lol nice! I purchased a warranty and did not receive anything of free oil changes..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Tried

So much for a "gentle" break-in! :sad: I purchased my VT in Ohio and immediately drove it 500 miles home to Delaware thru the W. Virginia, Pennsylvania and western Maryland mountains. I "tried" to drive reasonably civil but it was so much fun it was difficult. I'm sure my heavy-footed daughter was even less disciplined while I slept. Oh well, thank God for the warranty!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts