Veloster Turbo Forum banner

301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
dude... HMU on IG or some shit... I have the tracy lewis and I can run you through all the issues I have had with it... I do like it, but their design for this car is not perfect. I can tell you what I did to mine and now it is pretty much 100% good to go. Also, you will no longer be able to use your engine cover. But that thing locks in heat so fuck it anyway.

EDIT - You don't want to tear the crankcase cover off like I did due to a failure of the CSS

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tracy Lewis sent me the wrong f’n cap... might just take the cap I put the breather on, and redrill it to fit the CSS... idiots.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Tracy Lewis sent me the wrong f’n cap... might just take the cap I put the breather on, and redrill it to fit the CSS... idiots.
i just got mine yesterday and confirmed with Ty it should be good to go. I test fit on my Tucson 1.6T & perfect. I am headed home to fit it on the VT to confirm.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You’re lucky, you got the right cap. The one they sent me is totally wrong, bastards.
Was able to drill my Stance cap to 3/4”, but need a 1” step bit to fit the flange... will I finish first or will they get a cap out to me first?

·
Registered
866 Posts
You’re lucky, you got the right cap. The one they sent me is totally wrong, bastards.
Was able to drill my Stance cap to 3/4”, but need a 1” step bit to fit the flange... will I finish first or will they get a cap out to me first?
they sent me the wrong cap first as well... they ended up having to send me a second cap. the setup 2GQ got was much cleaner than the setup they sent me and I think he is in good shape. If you have IG... HMU... I am @littlezipzip and I can try to help you out. Eventually I am going to pickup a SXTH oil cap and have a local company CNC mill it out for me. That should be straight up perfect.

·
Registered
170 Posts
They're sending me the right cap. Mine looks exactly like TGFY's except the cap isnt' milled down on the top, and the bottom looks like it might be for a Focus RS or something. Meanwhile I'm just waiting for a 1" bit to drill out my stant cap. I'll probably try the Tracy Lewis one for a bit... but already thinking I might sell it later on and try something else considering there are a whole bunch of sub $20 breathers now that I know how to drill my own caps.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
They're sending me the right cap. Mine looks exactly like TGFY's except the cap isnt' milled down on the top, and the bottom looks like it might be for a Focus RS or something. Meanwhile I'm just waiting for a 1" bit to drill out my stant cap. I'll probably try the Tracy Lewis one for a bit... but already thinking I might sell it later on and try something else considering there are a whole bunch of sub $20 breathers now that I know how to drill my own caps.
So Tybardy has been assisting me alot alot with this. Mine screwed on firmly with that plastic gasket piece that connects the css. There are 2 rubber o-rings that the css sits on.

After 1 day of driving, I looked under the hood & ughh, watta mess :( my o-rings are not doing the css justice.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
So Tybardy has been assisting me alot alot with this. Mine screwed on firmly with that plastic gasket piece that connects the css. There are 2 rubber o-rings that the css sits on.

After 1 day of driving, I looked under the hood & ughh, watta mess :( my o-rings are not doing the css justice.

That's not good..... yuk!

·
Registered
170 Posts
That sucks. thanks for the updates. See if you can get a large O-ring that sits at the base of the stem of the breather that will push tight against the twist cap.

Once I get the hose barb in the location I want it, I might silicone RTV the breather in place. Strong enough to seal it, but not so strong that you can't twist apart the silicone to pop off the breather for occasional cleanings etc.

·
Registered
866 Posts
mine did the exact same thing. Replaced the o-rings that came with the Tracy Lewis CSS with a stiffer, heavier gauge o-ring and it fixed it right up. No issues anymore. As for your idea about adhearing the CSS to the actual gas cap permanently, not at all a bad idea. When I swapped out the o-rings to a harder, thicker ring it essentially made it impossible to remove the cSS from the cap. It's on there with some might.

That nasty oil mess that GQ is fucking with right now.... happened to me exactly like that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Drilled my cap out (bottom cap). 1” hole makes it a super tight fit (had to press it in with a c-clamp), but it shouldn’t leak. On the top is the cap they sent me.

D1D8EFB6-145F-4DE7-925C-FEB6767AC3B7.jpeg

·
Registered
866 Posts
obviously, the wrong cap sent! ahhahaa... Eventually I am going to but a mill aluminum cap from SXTH and drill that out but I have too many things on the project desk at the moment (STILL trying to dial in my suspension)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Put a notch in the engine cover, connected to breather right now. Once I get the Apollo filter set up again,
I’ll tee both the pcv extra breather and the oil cap breather to the bung on the Apollo.

E4B344BD-969E-4081-A3B2-E38D225B9ECF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I really wanna thank @Tybardy for his assistance as always! He sent me O-rings to get a better snug fit on my cap. Previously you guys saw the mess I dealt with.

Unfortunately the orings he sent me were too big, & of course my original orings were too small.

So I did what Ty recommended & picked up orings in between both of my compromising sizes.

Boom! The 15/16" orings fit snug enough to almost not even be able to take them off.

Test drive tomorrow & let you guys know how it holds up.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Rumors are usually only a partial truth. I think it was only one O-ring that went into the valve cover. ;-)

·
Registered
866 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA I did lose both of the original Tracy Lewis O-rings when I pulled the CSS to change the oil. One actually snapped and the other just rolled right off. Only one actually fell into the motor. Took a while to locate the other and now don't even remember where the hell it turned up but I did find it prior to putting the top back on the motor to be sure that it wasn't burried inside with the other other that was already removed. Here is a picture of the fun that took place that night having to pull the top of the motor off. The O-Rings that come with the CSS are not ideal for the application IMO so I replaced them and the CSS is so snug now that it practically cannot be removed from the oil cap.

20180525_205741.jpg

301 - 320 of 345 Posts