Veloster Turbo Forum banner

321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok, so I finally decided to unplug the breather from the intake. I'm waiting for a catch can to arrive that I'm gonna install, but meanwhile as I'm venting to the atmosphere, I noticed, that the car behaves a bit different, but in a good way.
I just did that, because I keep seeing oil in my intake and it's dripping down to my filter (oem airbox) and I just had it..the last time I saw it, I cleaned it to be sure the car is doing it right now, because that IM was never taken off by anyone as I can see
and the car was sitting at the dealer lot 3 months ago.

I mean I don't see why would the car would have a smoother acceleration and more eager to accelerate than before, just because i'm venting to the Atm right now.
Yeah, I also did a coolant bypass, just remembered, now I gotta figure out which one changed the things around enough to make the car feel different.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re-connect it temporarily to see if performance decreases.
I wouldn't mean like the car has more power or something like that, but the car feels kinda choked up with the hose connected. Especially on low rpm and the AC on. I let off the brake and the car wants to immediately move (it's a 6AT), but step on it and the acceleration isn't smooth or gradual. People wouldn't notice it unless they drive their car for at least a month and try both ways with the hose on or off. It's just weird.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wasted my money with that catch can..I can't find a good place to fixate, other locations that fit, it's gonna look ghetto, fck it.
Just venting it to the atmosphere, ran the hoses under the car, zip tied both hoses together. The car runs fine, nice idle too.

I'm trying to find to cap the 3/8 fitting and hose that has to be capped off. Right now i'm using a bolt like TooGqForYou, but I also got the oem intake and I terminated that breather hole with a short piece of hose and plugged it with another bolt, but I don't like how it looks. I won't be getting an aftmrkt intake, so amazon sells this thing, but i'm cheap because i'm out of money. anyone knows anything alternative to this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Duct tape

·
Registered
172 Posts
You ask for cheap, not longevity.

Trim a wine cork down.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My cold starts are so smooth with my oil cap css. I remember my cold starts being so abrupt & louder. Now, my cold starts take less time to wind down if that makes any sense. Before, it would take about 20 to 25 seconds to whine down, now it literally hasn't taken more than 10 to 15 seconds.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I finally have everything routed the way I want.

E9126C69-2705-4E84-80F6-B66AD7642EF2.jpeg

Pcv to catch can to tee that goes to 2 one-way valves. The 1st one-way is actually another pcv that routes from manifold to prevent pressurizing the catch can. The other one-way lets any crankcase/can pressure release to the intake right at the Apollo filter. The css tees into the intake at the filter too. Finally another catch can between the upper crankcase and the intake at the intake pipe. Carb compliant since nothing vents to air

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I finally have everything routed the way I want.

View attachment 100094

Pcv to catch can to tee that goes to 2 one-way valves. The 1st one-way is actually another pcv that routes from manifold to prevent pressurizing the catch can. The other one-way lets any crankcase/can pressure release to the intake right at the Apollo filter. The css tees into the intake at the filter too. Finally another catch can between the upper crankcase and the intake at the intake pipe. Carb compliant since nothing vents to air
how's this working for you? always interested to hear the progress of catch can user's

·
Registered
172 Posts
No complaints. I have very little coming out of the back crankcase vent. As in maybe a drop... so little that I might ditch that can.
The PCV can is catching a lot. It seems more with the CSS than without... the CSS plus the pcv manifold vacuum might really be sweeping the vapors and shit out...

·
Registered
153 Posts
No complaints. I have very little coming out of the back crankcase vent. As in maybe a drop... so little that I might ditch that can.
The PCV can is catching a lot. It seems more with the CSS than without... the CSS plus the pcv manifold vacuum might really be sweeping the vapors and shit out...
I have had a can on the vent for about 18 months. I check it every time I empty the pcv can and it's never had anything in it. I took it off a couple of days ago and the hesitation I have been experiencing went away. She runs a ton better now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
380 Posts
This has been quite an interesting discussion to say the least.
I read this months ago but didn't have a full understanding of the pcv system and how it worked.

After a couple of weeks studying the pcv system and learning all I could through forums and technical articles I now understand everything this thread has to offer.

So now that that's been said what has happened with the discussion and further evidence of whether the vta without the pcv is still working or if everyone went back to a stock setup.

I'm n/a with my motor so my catch can setup really has no bearing on this thread but it is setup as I would be running a turbo motor minus the check valve.
3 catch cans I use with the breather CC going VTA, the pcv CC recirculating back to the intake manifold, and a 3rd CC going VTA from the oil fill cap which was drilled, tapped, and hooked to the CC.

So this would work fine for n/a and turbo and I'm still on the fence with the pcv being eliminated completely but still retaining the CC going VTA.

Any further discussion would be appreciated with some feed back from those that are still running an all VTA setup sans the pcv valve.

I really appreciate everyone's input to this thread and got me really interested in researching more on this topic for my build.
Thanks. ?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
I've been running VTA on breather and PCV sides, so dual breather essentially, no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been running VTA on breather and PCV sides, so dual breather essentially, no issues whatsoever.
Are you also running a third VTA hose from the valve cover or from the oil fill cap for better evacuation of crankcase pressure?

I wouldn't mind having 0 fuel/ oil vapor mist going down the intake tract on my n/a setup now and eventual turbo motor as well.

Theres so much conflicting data on the pcv side on whether you close loop for vacuum or VTA. ?

@trdtoy are you presently turbo? When you had your n/a car, what did you do with it for crankcase ventilation.
I will be doing more research on this as I'm not completely satisfied with all that I've read so far. ?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Are you also running a third VTA hose from the valve cover or from the oil fill cap for better evacuation of crankcase pressure?

I wouldn't mind having 0 fuel/ oil vapor mist going down the intake tract on my n/a setup now and eventual turbo motor as well.

Theres so much conflicting data on the pcv side on whether you close loop for vacuum or VTA. ?

@trdtoy are you presently turbo? When you had your n/a car, what did you do with it for crankcase ventilation.
I will be doing more research on this as I'm not completely satisfied with all that I've read so far. ?
Just breather VTA and PCV drilled out and VTA. Doing this doubles the outflow of the OEM setup under boost which is plenty for a stock turbo stock engine car. Did the same on the NA although blowby was not as much of an issue.

Key thing when VTA is using good oil, filter, and proper OCI. Also be sure lines stay clear which is also not difficult. Much easier, cheaper, and more effective VTA than with any can setup.

70k miles in my VT.....

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
119k miles vented 3 ports & I'll never forget when I did so, the car has performed much better than stock setup.

What TrdToy said, 3k max oci, quality oil, quality oil filter & confirmation of vented lines not getting clogged or interfering with anything is good to check every oil change.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
380 Posts
119k miles vented 3 ports & I'll never forget when I did so, the car has performed much better than stock setup.

What TrdToy said, 3k max oci, quality oil, quality oil filter & confirmation of vented lines not getting clogged or interfering with anything is good to check every oil change.
So you as well have eliminated the pcv setup and gone straight tube to vent, yes?
No filters on any of the tubes?

Again I'd like to have 0 mist going back into the engine so as of right now I'm stillon the fence with this.
Been so busy I've not had the time to further research all this. Soon enough though. ??

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
No filter on the lines. Good to have a piece of aluminum or stainless mesh over the ends though to not let any larger debris or bugs n such in to clog it up.

321 - 340 of 345 Posts