Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo after $800 and 3 weeks of waiting I finally received my BTR tune on an extra ECU. Needless to say I was really excited to put it on, so I did so about 2 hours ago. It's a pretty straighforward process, not a whole lot of room to make mistakes. After installing it I pushed the start button twice (as directed) with my foot off the brake, waited 10 seconds, then tried starting the car...It wouldn't start. It would act as if it was going to, but it would never turn over. So, i took everything off and went through the process again, paying close attention. Same result. To find out if it was the new tuned ECU or something else, I put the old, stock ECU back on. Worked perfectly. So now starts the process of contacting BTR and either getting it fixed or getting my money back.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Dam man so much mess up with everyone I'm scared to get mine tuned.

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
People have been warning about canned tunes for awhile. Lesson learned.

Good luck. I would personally try for a refund and get a bench tune from TorkME or wait to get a custom BTRcc.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Immobilized ECU in a non immobilized car or vice versa is a common issue.

A bench tune from any of them is better then a mail order bride version.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Son of a bitch...that's definitley the problem...FML

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
definitely...i hate when people mispell that...

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I have heard issues about SFR AND BTRcc canned tune. Sucks. I wonder if we'll hear anything like that come from a Torkme tune. and if there is something wrong I garuntee he will fix it asap.

I would try to get my money back and give it to Torkme. If you are not Torked Out you are missing out.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I have heard issues about SFR AND BTRcc canned tune. Sucks. I wonder if we'll hear anything like that come from a Torkme tune. and if there is something wrong I garuntee he will fix it asap.

I would try to get my money back and give it to Torkme. If you are not Torked Out you are missing out.
realistically tork shouldnt have a problem has he's using your factory ecu and tuning that :) he's essentially doing what other vendors do for a custom tune ( hence why you dont hear issues with custom tunes) but getting a standard map.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That's why long ago I recommended to everyone to skip the mail order ones and get it tuned in person at a tune event. I've had zero issues with my SFR bench canned tune.

The fact that Tork is being so transparent on how he tunes and what he's discovered about the ECUs is fantastic though.

·
Banned
552 Posts
The point is he figured that out and only went to market with that plan. That the other companies would sell the canned tunes still is disappointing. Heck they were able to read the threads about seeing differences in the ECU,s !!!! They have been having problems and they know it? Why keep doing business this way. Then we get stories like this. I hope he can get his money back out of principle. I dont doubt there ability to tune but this should not still be happening.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Before we go and try to burn down BTRcc or SFR for what might be a minor issue, we need to give them some time to respond to the issue.
There might be something simple, or it could well be fuxored.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
DUDE! i was really hoping to open this thread and hear good news... I cant believe it... SOrry to hear that bud... Try to get your $$ back

The trick to this whole thing is VIn matching the Ecu before its bench flashed as Torkme stated. That Ecu will never work properly with out the vin match IMO... Maybe see if you can get the Spare ecu Vin matched and sent back and reflashed by BTRcc with their tune. I wonder if that would solve the issue?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Canned tunes are perfectly fine, if applied properly lol. It's these mail order ECUs, which have really only been around for just under 2 they were unheard of until BTR started selling the Gen Coupe ones not long ago.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I don't see why SFR and BTRcc are not active on this forum like Torkme is. I mean, both are/were members. One got banned and the other is never here. Plus I heard they are sometimes hard to get a hold of. I understand that they have lives and are on tour, but still I have read stories where they abandoned customers for a while because of tours. You'd think by now they would have working the kinks out of the tunes. If I was running a business that dealt with peoples vehicles engine control units, I would make sure if they had a problem it would be taken cared of ASAP or at least make sure people can get a hold of me. But then again, like Torkme, I'd be careful of what tunes I am selling. Just feels like sometimes it seems like they just take the money and run haha but I know it ain't like that. I just put myself in the consumer shoes and can only imagine how it would feel like sending someone almost a thousand dollars to get a tuned ECU and then it not work and then taking two weeks before I get anything done. Must suck. But at the same time I wouldn't send my ONLY ecu to get it tuned not promised it would worked.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
when you buy canned food do you expect it to be good? Hence, why these tunes are called Canned!
I like canned food sometimes...I grow up on canned ravioli haha but I see what you are talking about. Can't compare canned ravioli (canned tunes) to Olive Garden (custom tunes).

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I guess we are just lucky to have John from Torkme be here and be so transparent. And have what seems like an awesome product!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts