Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got Turbosock's CAI installed.

Note: DONT TEST DRIVE WITHOUT THE FRONT BUMPER ON............ I did... and it shreaded the front plastic wall thingy. Now I have to order replacement one..........

Anywho, the CAI sounds REALLY loud between 2800-3200 RPM. Like a vacuum cleaner sound. Then when I let off the gas or switch gear, I can hear the hissing of the BOV, which sounds great.

I'm afraid it might be too loud for my taste. I'll leave it on a week and see. Hopefully the front plastic pieces will be in by then.

Also, did anyone have problems installing the CAI?? I couldn't really get mine to fit like in the instruction. I swapped the 45" angle with the 90 degree elbow and it worked better out of the bottom hole. The air filter is facing upward out and slightly upward.

I'll snap a picture when I take it apart tomorrow. Forgot to do it throughout the process.

For the large breather, I just left it hanging. Will buy a rubber line and run it to the bottom of the car. This is the BOV breathe line right?

The smaller line I ran a longer tube and vent it out to the bottom of the car. I'll buy a small breather filter and put it on that.

Will do the Catch can tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, is there anyway I can look up the part for those two flaps that goes in front of the front wheels??

The plastic wheel well. I need to replace those per my accidental short joyride without the bumper...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also, is there anyway I can look up the part for those two flaps that goes in front of the front wheels??

The plastic wheel well. I need to replace those per my accidental short joyride without the bumper...
I believe what your lookin for is part#86817-2V000 LH and parts #86818-2V000 RH. They are $10.32 List and $8.77 Wholesale. So if you go to your local Hyundai dealer they can show you a diagram to make sure that it is exactly what you are looking for.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
The CAI/SRI's on these cars are quite loud. I was actually surprised how loud they were compared to other turbo cars.

The Intake, if installed per the directions will hook up the same on ANY VTurbo as they are all made exactly the same. I have the pipe ends numbered (which refer to the DIY) so you can put it all together right.

Get a picture of how you installed yours because I don't quite understand what you did.. The fitment on the CAI is kinda tight but not enough to where it wouldn't be able to be installed the way it is intended.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped the CAI pipe with the 45 degrees one that go before that. Basically, it goes at 30 degree toward the wheel well, then 45 degree up. So when looking at the filter, it's pointing upward a little instead of downward like the pictures of yours. I don't know if that affect anything. So far it's been good. If I have music playing, I cant hear it, so that's fine. Only loud when I have the windows down and no music, which is not very often.

I'll snap a picture when I take it apart to do the oil catch can and HIDs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ughhhhhh, all these posts about how loud the intakes are makes me have a hard time waiting to do mine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I scared an old lady today leaving the parking lot... I'm going to set up the GoPro tomorrow and record a "spirited" drive by tomorrow and see how it sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I scared an old lady today leaving the parking lot... I'm going to set up the GoPro tomorrow and record a "spirited" drive by tomorrow and see how it sound.
HAHA... Love it!!! Will definetly be picking up one of Turbosocks CAI in the near future!!!

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
yeah, the CAI is pretty darn loud on this car.. I can usually hear it over my exhaust and I have ZERO muffler...

·
Registered
353 Posts
The sucking sound is indeed quite loud, but for me, hearing the turbo whistle is totally worth it.

I found myself driving like an idiot now "surging" my throttle at around 3-4k so I hear the "whiirrrrrr psshhhhhh" over and over.

Probably not good for it.... but I'm sure the novelty will wear off

·
Registered
119 Posts
OMG!
I want one now.
If it really sounds like everyone is saying, plus the performance boost, I definitely need to get one.
Um, can I install parts on a leased car?
I'll be buying it after my 36month term anyway.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I would like to install HIDs but since I am also leasing, I don't know if I can do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How is the performance?
Granted the sound is cool and all but what about trottle response, acel, power, ect? Any increase in MPG?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
you can do what ever you want to a leased car. Just put it all back to stock before you return it. Thats what I've done in the past.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Doing it on a leased vehicle should be no problem, so long as you keep all the stock parts and put them back on. Which is super easy in terms of the BOV and the SRI/CAI.

The biggest thing to get used to is the sucking noise it makes. It really does sound like a vaccuum. But for me, it's a non issue.

Performance-wise: Maybe it's psychological, but it does feel more powerful. More throttle response and stronger overall.. but that also could be because you hear the sucking, and the turbo whistle.
MPG-wise, no idea... I've only had it a few days so I can't say for certain, but I don't imagine it would make a big difference if any. Certainly nothing to write home about. You may end up using more gas if you do it like me and rev higher to hear the turbo whistle.

Reactions: curley16

·
Registered
119 Posts
Even on a leased car, aftermarket parts should not void warranty so long as IF there was an issue and the part is not NOT the cause of the problem?
Would I have to wait until my car breaks in before I make any changes?

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts