Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You gotta pay to play & unfortunately I am paying the hard way along with another driver who was involved for speeding over 100 mph (116 mph to be exact) & get state referree'd for my intake.

Fuck off if you got some lame ass comment about California & its emissions laws...this is my first "state ref ticket" out of the 31 years I've been here & it's not like cops are out hunting and hounding for modified vehicles, well at least where I reside. After this I will continue modifying so plz hold the weak unnecessary comments & or bashing.

Stupid me for racing yada yada yada i know, but I hate losing! Me and a 2017 Mustang EcoBoost crept up on the Highway Patrol and he flashed lights and weaved through the 3 lanes back and forth slowing us down, thats how fast we were going.

Anyways, I came on here to ask if anyone in California has dealt with my specific violation 27156(b) - modified smog device?

Even though I was not cited for my "loud" exhaust, does that mean when I go to the state ref to get my shit tested, they will ignore my loud ass exhaust & focus on my intake only since that was only what i was cited for other than my speed, or will they do the whole shibang and make sure my decibal level for sound isn't exceeding standards?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why would anyone live in that horrible state? On the plus side however, just know that your contributions will go to housing illegals, feeding ghetto babies, picking up homeless crap off the streets, and providing junkies with free needles & narcan. Also, remember that the government does this for your own good and to keep you safe.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would anyone live in that horrible state? On the plus side however, just know that your contributions will go to housing illegals, feeding ghetto babies, picking up homeless crap off the streets, and providing junkies with free needles & narcan. Also, remember that the government does this for your own good and to keep you safe.
*Ignored*

these are the hating ass comments most ignorant people will say when they have never even lived in California. I was already ready for stupid comments like this.

Gotta love forums even when you state specifically to leave the politics & bs out of it, yet you have some hater who knows so much about everything they forgot to provide advice about the original issue. smh

thanks for nothing incognito, hope you feel better about your little rant about California.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Found a post from 2010 that might be of use. Taken from this site https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96006

"If it's a smog modification (adjustable cams, NOS, breathers, cold air intakes, etc without a valid CARB sticker.) and you recieve a citation for 27156(b) VC, you vehicle will be placed out of service and you will only be allowed to drive it ONE time from the place you get you ticket to one of three places. Your work, house, or repair shop. You must go to a state BAR referee to get the citation signed off (which it woln't pass with modded stuff on it, so you have to put it back to stock before going). And since you can't DRIVE it there, you must get it towed or trailered to there. After doing so, you go to court and you are required to pay an outrageous fine when after you are found guilty. The fine is not able to be reduced by the judge. If you are caught driving your illegal vehicle before you get it signed off by the state ref, then it will be bad news for you. You can be subject to arrest for failing to obey a lawful order."

I'd get the intake and exhaust back to stock before I took it to get looked at. Probably undo the vent to atmosphere mods as well. Good luck!

Edit-And another thread worth reading https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2889879

·
Registered
866 Posts
I mean.... did you win tho??? :smile:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Ok - the simplest solution to the issue is going to be to swap all the OEM parts back onto the car before you take it to the referee. I don't suppose you have the OEM exhaust laying around?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean.... did you win tho???
yes I edged him out at 131 mph til i saw the red and blue lights flashing :( i still felt like i lost once the popo interrupted our run lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok - the simplest solution to the issue is going to be to swap all the OEM parts back onto the car before you take it to the referee. I don't suppose you have the OEM exhaust laying around?
When i swapped my exhaust. I asked then to unbolt & not cutting, because i was afraid of something like this. I have my oem exhaust in my garage so im good.

I just got word that I can just pay the penatly which is like $500 to $1000 & move on without having to switch mods back & go see the ref, but I haven't recieved my ticket in the mail yet.

I will still have to go to court for my 116 mph ticket though :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
speed racer ticket - cant help... but if you swap back to OEM on the other stuff, it would save you $500 to $1,000. If it were me, I'd spend a day or two swapping everything back. All depends on if you have more time or more money though

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's gnarly. Here in Ontario they class 50 (kph) over the limit as "stunt driving", and the minimum on first offence is $2000, a week's license suspension, and a week in impound no matter whose car it is.
Shortly after that legislation went through, I remember a *garbage truck* was impounded after maintaining highway speeds through a small hamlet. XD

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gotta love forums even when you state specifically to leave the politics & bs out of it, yet you have some hater who knows so much about everything they forgot to provide advice about the original issue. smh

thanks for nothing incognito, hope you feel better about your little rant about California.
I didn’t see the clause about not commenting on your state (I didn’t read that far). All I saw was “California” and “smog” and it conjured up images of Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters. Denver is turning into a liberal cesspool as well so it’s very frustrating. I’ll shut up now. Sorry. Carry on.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hey at least you stopped for the cops and didn't carry on for an hour and end up running naked out of the car into a shanty in Compton like I see on the news nearly every other night.

Anyways, I think your best suggestion is go back to stock as much as possible and hope for the best. I've driven next to cops with my loud exhaust and some shoot me a smile and drive off. Cali ain't as bad as some may think.

*Side note, a few EcoBoost Mustang owners can be a bit arrogant thinking they're driving a 5.0 V8, so good that you gave him a run. Sucks you got caught tho :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
It can be a pain in the ass for modders but I wish some of the other states gave a shit about anything. We need inspections here in the worst way. So many ancient pickup trucks and cop car style cars with balljoints so bad they can’t hold the lane and worse...

Good luck getting it sorted as cheaply as possible!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
appreciate all the feedback! I have been checking the mail for my official ticket, but nada so far.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Welp, I'm pretty stoked indeed. It went from a 1440.00 ticket plus state ref'd to 285.

Went to court, this judge was dope by far. lowered my ticket to 250, plus a 35 dollar fee & he dismissed my intake/exhaust ticket.

#Winning #Blessed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts