Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Turbo. Want to lighten it as much as possible. I have little interest in appearance. I have tracked two FWD cars and found that along with reducing weight the stock rotor diameter works fine with upgraded pads and high boiling point fluid. Sooo, I do not want a big brake kit. I do however want lightweight aluminum alloy calipers. Anyone know of after market calipers made to fit the stock mounts and calipers. Also looking for a lightweight carbon fiber hood. Again I am looking for performance and need a demonstrably lighter hood.

·
Super Moderator
3,545 Posts
FWIW the difference between the CF and stock hood on the 1G wasn't much.. it was like 6 pounds

you may consider going a little smaller on the brakes? possibly something from a non turbo in that gen...

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,806 Posts
Not sure who has the lightest rotors. Most that track the cars use oem rotors or similar blanks to keep cost down and any warping or cracking down. R1 is a trusted brand by many. You could also go to NAV brakes to go smaller and lighter but requires a little more than a rotor swap. Considering doing this on my drag VT since it will most likely have a chute anyway.

Check socal garage works for the CF hood or KDM tuners. They're much lighter than the oem but have not weighed the two to compare them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My issue is not with the rotors though I may try to source some with aluminum hats. I am looking for lighter calipers.

·
Super Moderator
3,545 Posts
Nobody has used aftermarket calipers besides the guys moving to brembos...

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Sorry Mazda3 I went cross-eyed reading g the post the first go round and got hung up on the rotors.

Not sure of any lighter oem calipers unless you think you can get away with the brake setup from a NAV since the car will be much lighter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess when I get time I will call Porterfield. Years ago I had a Hyundai combination street and track car, no decent pads available, called Porterfield and they custom cut some awesome pads. No more brake fade and the price was very reasonable. Perhaps with some dimensions they can recommend a caliper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately when looking for high performance and lightweight parts for my cars the majority of parts I find are appearance parts. Often no weight is listed. Faux carbon fiber, caliper covers, endless bling.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Yes, much being and no care for performance, like true performance.

·
Super Moderator
3,545 Posts
porterfield has a pad available for the 1G VT, i ordered them from pierce motorsports.

i ran them bald, i would say on the street and in the cold they were not amazing, a little less than stock pads on braking until they heated up. once hot, they were really great. unfortunately thats a few laps at the track, or a few back to back runs at AX. it was never enough to keep heat in them otherwise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My understanding from previous research is that Hyundai did a lot to lighten the VT. It's the lightest car in its class already, and not by a small margin. Lighter rims will certainly help, but beyond that, not sure. Do let me know if you find anything!

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Lightening the car is not difficult.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
464 Posts
A Braille battery will take 20-30 pounds off the front end and still crank the car well.
Removing the factory carpet and adding aftermarket will take out another 30-40 pounds.
One piece racing seats will take another 40 pounds off.

Weight reduction has been something I've done to a few cars and the results were always noticeable on the street and the track.
Good luck with it. 👍🤟

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have lightened several cars. The first 100lbs. is easy, after that it gets more expensive. The Veloster may be among the lightest in class but at nearly 3,000lbs. it is still far too heavy. Mazda 2, NA and ND Miatas and older Accents all between 23 and 24 hundred pounds. I have driven them all and they are great fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,545 Posts
nothing as fun as the NA/NB though! i would have loved a fiata. much better looking than the ND. not looking forward to them anymore since FC is practically dead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts