Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over at ***** also but was wondering if maybe people had more information over here or connections in Korea that could confirm or deny.

I would strongly assume that the springs on the NA V and the Vturbo are almost identical. I would assume they mount the same, same shape and size also. The only thing I could see Hyundai doing different in the Vturbo is making them a little stiffer to compensate for the added ~100-150lbs or so.

Pending confirmation, I would like to order a set of lowering springs for the NA V to have when I get the VTurbo. The weights between the NA V and the Vturbo are close enough that using springs made for the NA V isn't going to make a real difference.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can't wait for this to be known
I think I'm on the other side of the fence
I don't even think they would revise the spring rates for such a little weight difference
I'm thinking the only difference is the quicker steering ration and slightly bigger front rotors/calipers
Time will tell, great question because we all want to know...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Every article I've read says they carried over the suspension from the NA model, and that is their main complaint about the turbo model. So I'm going to assume, yes it is the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's the same, the Eibach pro-kit I bought was for a NAV. I put a Nav next to mine in the air and didn't see a difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I keep reading that the Aussie version has a different suspension tune. It also has a nice little "GDI" badge that's very similar to our "turbo" badge. <--- would look nice on a quarter-panel I think.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
he Australian Veloster Turbo was set up by former rally driver Rick Bates. It has stiffer springs with matching dampers, stiffer anti-roll bars, a quicker steering rack and less assistance from the power steering servo motor. It is firm like a Golf GTI is firm, and it has a busy ride on rough roads. Most Australian cars are set up stiffer and sharper than in the US; including the Elantra.

After driving mine for a bit I have problems with the I30s at work. I go to park them and turn the steering wheel a couple of centimetres, like I would in my Veloster, and nothing happens! It took me three goes to park an I30 the other day until I got re-used to massive steering wheel movements needed to make it change direction. Not to mention the steering of the I30 being too light and totally lacking in road feel.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
One of the knocks against the VT is that the suspension is identical to the NAV except for the steering box and the brakes - and both of these are only mildly different.

According to Hyundai the VT doesn't need modifications or upgrades because they got it right with the NAV. I tend to agree. I've test driven a bunch of different Velosters and they all felt about the same to me. With the NAV the ride was a tad harsh for such a pedestrian car but it feels right to me on the VT. If Hyundai made any more changes they would surely advertise the changes.

I've rented plenty of Accents, Elantras and Sonatas I was impressed by all of them. That is a big part of why I bought a VT. But the Veloster doesn't ride like any of them.

Frankly the VT rides as harsh as any car that I would want as a daily driver. If I had the option to buy a stiffer suspension I would not have taken it.

I would pay extra for 40 more hp and brakes that filled up the rims - but not stiffer suspension. I drove a GTI and the biggest problem I had was that the suspension was too stiff anyway. I could have just bought that.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had an Astra SRi which is Opel's variant on a Volkswagen GTI and it was bone-jarring stiff. On rougher roads I had to back off because it was just too punishing and sometimes it would bounce my feet off the pedals. My motorcycle rode better! The Australian Veloster is stiff and yet supple and handles very well, especially on rough back roads. It is stiffer than the US version, although only by degrees, and the bigger difference would be the more direct and heavier steering.

The Astra did have big brakes and it did stop well, although road tests show that flat-out the Veloster stops as well as a Golf GTI. Actually the big brakes were a nuisance and it was hard to park the car in particular. You would brush the pedal and it stopped. Dead. And that was it; you couldn't creep it forward because, at low speeds, the brakes were either on or off. It was also hard to stop just so at traffic lights.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I test drove the GTI and found it way too stiff as well. The slight improvement in performance was not worth the harsh ride and expensive tires.

I found the same thing with Mazda, Subaru and BMW. The base models were too soft and slow and the sport models were too stiff and extreme.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The dampers and springs are different in setup compared to the N/A Veloster. The VT handles much better than the NAV. OEM dampers are made by Sachs. Who installed the Eibach Prokit on his VT yet? Does this kit have an official release for the VT from Eibach?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts