Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes, beause it wouldn't be readable. Dont do it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Youd be better just not running it. I never ran my front plate on my shelby and never had an issue. But on the other hand i got a ticket for it in my focus. It depends what its worth to you. But definitely dont dip it thatll get you a ticket.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I live in texas and am the dfw area and I onced got pulled over for not having one a long time ago. like 8 or so years ago. And I didn't even get a ticket I just said I didn't have the screws and didn't know it was required (but I did lol) He just said to get it on there and that was it. Just a warning. I probably will run one on the VT when I get mine just so I don't have to worry about it. It's no big deal.

Like the rest said, if you really don't want to, you don't have to. But beware if you get a dickhead cop. If you get a nice one and just say you didn't have screws for it or whatever and didn't know it was required to have one. But if you rather not bother, just run with one.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I live in texas and am the dfw area and I onced got pulled over for not having one a long time ago. like 8 or so years ago. And I didn't even get a ticket I just said I didn't have the screws and didn't know it was required (but I did lol) He just said to get it on there and that was it. Just a warning. I probably will run one on the VT when I get mine just so I don't have to worry about it. It's no big deal.

Like the rest said, if you really don't want to, you don't have to. But beware if you get a dickhead cop. If you get a nice one and just say you didn't have screws for it or whatever and didn't know it was required to have one. But if you rather not bother, just run with one.
Could always try the "i just got it from the body shop and its at home occifer."

·
Registered
980 Posts
You can get the remote control retractable plate on Americanmuscle. Com is not all that expensive actually

·
Registered
272 Posts
when I use to live in Texas my Trans Am never had the front plate, BUT I would put it up on the passenger side sunvisor

now that I live in NM, which doesnt have front plates, I wish so bad that the VT didnt have the brick, hopefully soon I will cut that thing out

·
Registered
718 Posts
So front plates are required in IL...however NO ONE enforces it except the city of chicago pretty much. With my old car I actually got to a point I couldn't park on a city street for a while out of fear I was going to get a boot because I had gotten 3 no front plate tickets while parked within a two week period.

So with the Veloster I'm leaving the front plate on. I'd love to let that big fat maw gape wide with no obstruction, but I live in a ruthlesss money hungry area that will ding me for $25 every chance it gets...and there is a stupid plate brick permanently in place, so may as well.

I am however going to improve on the look a lil bit in a couple months when it's time to renew plates by getting these:

Blackhawks vanity plates. I'm a huge fan and they match my car.

Reactions: captainofiron

·
Registered
272 Posts
So front plates are required in IL...however NO ONE enforces it except the city of chicago pretty much. With my old car I actually got to a point I couldn't park on a city street for a while out of fear I was going to get a boot because I had gotten 3 no front plate tickets while parked within a two week period.

So with the Veloster I'm leaving the front plate on. I'd love to let that big fat maw gape wide with no obstruction, but I live in a ruthlesss money hungry area that will ding me for $25 every chance it gets...and there is a stupid plate brick permanently in place, so may as well.

I am however going to improve on the look a lil bit in a couple months when it's time to renew plates by getting these:

Blackhawks vanity plates. I'm a huge fan and they match my car.
I wish NM had a better vanity plate program, all the vanity plates here are ugly or a variation of the yellow and red traditional plates.

Texas has an awesome vanity plate program through a 3rd party company, the ones I wanted bad were the classic black and white hemisfair plates that would have come originally on my 68 Firebird

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wish NM had a better vanity plate program, all the vanity plates here are ugly or a variation of the yellow and red traditional plates.

Texas has an awesome vanity plate program through a 3rd party company, the ones I wanted bad were the classic black and white hemisfair plates that would have come originally on my 68 Firebird
Yeah, but you don't even need a front plate right, so that's pretty cool. IL went bananas with vanity plates the last few years. They gotta have like 80 freakin options. This state is so broke and ridiculous they will do anything they possibly can to make money.

Reactions: captainofiron

·
Registered
248 Posts
The funny history of the day:

I was so freaking tired after "fighting" for a good deal, etc, that when I received the electronic key, I jumped in the car with my wife and drove straight to home. It was not a long ride, but took like 30 min.

Next day, I found whatever stupid excuse you can imagine in order to drive the car :smile: ... I even bought several stuff that my wife asked for the front yard that I've been neglecting for several months, to save money. When I drove back , I saw that I had no license plate! The dealer forgot to put the paper ones. That was Sunday, they are close that day.

Thanks God I had my previous one from my Speed6, and I kept those because is a personalized license plate. I put those Monday before my work's commute; called the dealer and pick it up in the afternoon. I was lucky a cop didn't see me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The funny history of the day:

I was so freaking tired after "fighting" for a good deal, etc, that when I received the electronic key, I jumped in the car with my wife and drove straight to home. It was not a long ride, but took like 30 min.

Next day, I found whatever stupid excuse you can imagine in order to drive the car :smile: ... I even bought several stuff that my wife asked for the front yard that I've been neglecting for several months, to save money. When I drove back , I saw that I had no license plate! The dealer forgot to put the paper ones. That was Sunday, they are close that day.

Thanks God I had my previous one from my Speed6, and I kept those because is a personalized license plate. I put those Monday before my work's commute; called the dealer and pick it up in the afternoon. I was lucky a cop didn't see me.
At least for you it was a mistake....my dumb dealer didn't mail out my plate until almost two months of having the car the temporary ones had been expired for a while and when I kept calling them they kept saying they were going to send them the next day and asking for my address...I blew up to the GM and three days later they came via fedex express delivery....just to clarify I bought out of state in NJ and it was the worse experience I've ever had with a cardealer. Thankfully that's behind and now I get to enjoy my beautiful car everyday.:smile:

·
Registered
40 Posts
For all the guys required by law to have one in the front, the plate only has to be "visible" from the front of the vehicle. As per the law. That means, putting it inside the car, against the front windshield in the bottom passengers side of the car is legal.

I've been pulled over with it there, and the cops never say a peep.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
For all the guys required by law to have one in the front, the plate only has to be "visible" from the front of the vehicle. As per the law. That means, putting it inside the car, against the front windshield in the bottom passengers side of the car is legal.

Depends on the state.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Not in TX my friend :)

They actually want you to NOT do that. Law was recently approved or revised in 2012.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Not in Illinois bud. I used to try that. Still collected tickets like it was my job the second I was in Chicago proper. It never fails. If it's not mounted on the front of the car you're getting ticketed if they have a meter maid or any kind of parking enforcement. The cops won't bother you, but I swear parking enforcement gets paid a freaking comission.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts