Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2015 VT R spec and I am looking to replace the catalytic converter. My engine light keeps coming on so I need to replace it to pass inspection. I’m in a bit of a dilemma tho as I have done research and called around and keep getting told two different things about the cat.

The mechanic I typically use told me that the cat is attached to the turbo system and that the whole system would need replaced running upwards of $1500. However trying to find parts online keeps showing me the cat being integrated into the exhaust manifold for about $200-$300. I called a company that sold one of these parts to ask about fitment and make sure it was for turbo and not just base. They said it was a guaranteed fitment and that it was an oe replacement. I also called a Hyundai dealership and spoke to someone in the parts dept and they told me that I’d have to replace the turbo system with the cat as well (the $1500 option).

I am just trying to understand why I keep getting told two different things. There is a big price difference and I need to know which option I need to go with. I’d rather not have to jack the car up and take the whole thing apart myself to figure this out. Any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not enough information here to make an informed recommendation. How was this diagnosis made? On a vehicle of that vintage the first suspect part would be the O2 sensor. Ask to see a detailed description of the codes pulled. O2 sensors are normal wear items. Their life span is considerable but at some point they will need replacement. Before spending that much money a second opinion would probably be a wise move. If the cat has not been abused it should have a very long life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its not the sensors. Had to replace the rear sensor last month and was hoping that was triggering the other code as well but the light came on again. I don’t remember the exact code but its for the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,012 Posts
Get the codes and report back.

If you do indeed need/want the cat section it can be had cheap used from someone and easily installed with hand tools or cheap by a mechanic.

If you want performance you can gut the cats on the car easily/cheaply and just need a proper spacer or elbow or tune the code out and it will still pass inspection.

Either way you go it should cost a couple hundred bucks at most.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like your getting different answers possibly because someone isn't aware that the turbo-back portion of the exhaust changed between '15 and '16 models. For '13 - '15 VTs the catalytic converter is integrated into the lower part of the downpipe. This can be easily swapped for an aftermarket one for $400 - $600, as the lower portion can be removed with two bolts and no fumbling around near the turbo. For '16 and up, this downpipe was revised and the catalytic converter was moved upwards into the elbow near the turbo. I couldn't find a picture of this. But please imagine that the labor involved in the removing the entire pipe from the engine is a lot more involved. Don't quote me on this, but there may be two catalytic converters on the '16 and up models. the second one in the mid-pipe of the exhaust. you could be being quoted or that to be replaced also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll get back to you on what the code is. I’m aware of the two converter situation and know that its the upper one that has the sensors and throws the codes. The dealer ran my VIN while checking for these parts so even tho mine is a 15, they may have switched the cat within the 2015 model year. I’ll get back with the VIN and I may just jack the car up and see if I can tell which version it is by looking around as well. I’m hoping for the cheaper and easier replacement, but if not, I may go with the gutting it out option.

Does anyone know if doing that creates a significant sound difference as well? I’m not looking to make my VT very loud, the BOV does enough on its own. I’m looking at putting a Greddy exhaust system on next year that still keeps it relatively low but with a little more aggression.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo
19 Posts
My Vt is basically straight piped and at idle it's not that loud, but the cold starts are pretty loud, going with just a downpipe catless or high flow cat will give it an aggressive sound to the stock system, even more so with later Vt's that only have one Cat. I think a high flow cat or catless with the GReddy system will be really loud

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,012 Posts
If you have the fake vents in the hood you have the DP configuration posted that has 2 cats in the lower DP section. These are easier to come by if you were to buy one used. Also easier to gut while on the car. If you gut you will need to tune that out or get the proper elbow or spacer to avoid a P0420 code. And that will make the exhaust louder especially an aftermarket one on cold start or above idle speeds under load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts