Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VT A/T Boston Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if there’s an answer to this somewhere on the forum, but I have spent hours searching and found no direct answers. Where I live, we get -45°C weather for months on end. I plan on putting on a PCV catch can and I was wondering,

1. Is there anything I should be mindful of with the catch can, because of the ridiculous cold?

2. I’ve read time and time again I should vent the breather to atmosphere. A line leading under the car seems sketchy to me when the VT becomes a snow plow, and just a filter off the intake manifold could make a mess. Is running a line to a catch can with a filter on it the only option?

3. Would rubber hose work fine?

I also thought it would be neat to share these photos, from April 10th, to accentuate my point about the crazy North;
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Snow Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Snow Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
fuel line hose is best. and holy crap! glad thats puffy snow or kiss your bumper>fender plastic goodbye.

Reactions: Christhemist

·
Registered
2015 VT A/T Boston Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel line hose is best. and holy crap! glad thats puffy snow or kiss your bumper>fender plastic goodbye.
That’s what I meant by rubber hose, as that’s all the pictures I’ve seen, thanks for the clarification!

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,256 Posts
Catch cans may present major issues in extreme cold. In this case your options are leave it stock, vent breather lines under car properly, or breather lines to a heated catch can.
I have a solution in the works for the latter.....

Reactions: waterlance

·
Registered
2015 VT A/T Boston Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catch cans may present major issues in extreme cold. In this case your options are leave it stock, vent breather lines under car properly, or breather lines to a heated catch can.
I have a solution in the works for the latter.....
Does that apply to a PCV catch can aswell?

·
Registered
2015 VT A/T Boston Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I very much appreciate the insight! Would there be any worries about venting under the car with snow/salt/road grime?

·
Registered
2015 VT A/T Boston Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only if hose is setup in a way that it would freeze and be obstructed
I know I’m being dense, but would running the breather to a vented, insulated CC close by be a solution? For the breather side of course.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,256 Posts
Can ideally needs to be heated by an electrical pad/circuit in very cold weather. Other options would be heated by engine coolant or by the heat in the engine bay in some way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts