Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm currently shopping around for a downpipe and I'm looking to get it tuned right after at 10fintec (Toronto tuning company) that specializes in Hyundai and Kia and I had a conversation with them the other day about the pops and bangs feature on a catted downpipe. They said it was perfectly safe and have no issues with other Velosters that have this.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I blew my oem cat out with a pops & bangs tune and got better sound and better flow after the incident lol

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It wasn't a bad thing, i stated I got better sound and an increase in flow....oem dp

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Pops n bangs will ruin a cat in the exhaust or any weak components in the exhaust over time.

Reactions: TooGqForYou

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! I currently have an ISR catless test pipe so going catless seems like a better option.

Any way to reduce the sound on the catless downpipe? Replacing resonator a better option?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Are you wanting the most flow and power but not be loud? How loud to you want it during normal driving, wide open throttle, and pops n bangs?

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want it to drone at cruising speeds pretty much. Everything else should be fine. I had a resonator delete done earlier this year but now that I recently got my catless downpipe, I'm guessing the resonator could be the issue?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
What is the setup now from the turbo back? Stock DP elbow, ISR catless lower DP, resonator delete in the mid pipe, stock remaining mid pipe, stock axle back? You have drone with this? If so under what conditions?

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently the stock DP elbow, ISR catless downpipe, straight through mid pipe, custom Y pipe muffler delete.

Drones higher at 2-3k rpm inside, highway cruising speeds at around 110km/h 6th gear around 2k rpm, still drones inside the cabin. Sometimes my radio at 13 volume I wouldn't be able to hear properly.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
ok so you're catless and straight pipe using some oem components. Yes that will drone in that area. You need a small straight through muffler or resonator. Something 12-16" long will suffice.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. I might rethink of a catted downpipe as well. I don't mind the pricing, but damn the shipping to Canada is ridiculous lol. Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You are catless and straight pipe now so drone will be there. Buying an aftermarket downpipe, catless or with a cat, will still have drone when straight pipe but will gain very little power over the current setup. You'll need a straight through muffler or resonator 12-16" long to get rid of the drone.

Also if power is a concern you want to reconsider the overall exhaust setup. The oem elbow, the 3" lower dp to the stock mid pipe, any flange that bolts together, and small piping in general are all limiting flow and power.

Reactions: Drew_VT

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
The turbo exit is 2.5x". ISR lower downpipe is 2.8x". This goes into oem piping which has 2.1x" at the flanges and 2.3x" in the piping. All these transitions big to small, small to big, and smaller in general, especially compared to the turbo exit make for poor flow and some power losses.

As a good real world example a VT I tuned at set boost level with a 3" DP and oem catback made 223 whp and when the oem catback was removed it made 240 whp. Boost was .3 psi higher on the 240 whp pull. IAT and ECT were within like 2-4°F to keep things as apples to apples as possible. This would be ~15 whp loss at the exact same boost level from the oem catback at this power level with lwss than 18 psi on the stock turbo stock intercooler.

Another example I had 2 VT same mods same tune same conditions on dyno. One with 2.5" exhaust made 10 whp more than another with a 2.25" section just at the rear from a botched muffler delete.

Reactions: Striker-X

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh wow! That's pretty much a big difference. With my set up goes, I should get it custom made as I currently have the OEM catback set up.

My ISR downpipe creates a lot of fumes as well. I contacted 845 Motorsports and they said their catless DP doesn't smell as much, unless some people are not as sensitive to the smell. I'm assuming every catless DP put into the VT are the same?

Either way, I'm trying to get as much performance with the added popcorn feature. I believe catted for minimal performance gain, little to no smell but worried about the pops added so I don't turn it into a paperweight or catless with most performance and the smell. Only thing would be the drone issue which can be slightly resolved.

I'm rambling a lot here so I apologize if I don't make sense. Just tied towards the two downpipe options 😅

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You will have the smell either way just barely less noticed with a cat and barely less power but much higher cost. The smell can be worse if you have a leak after install or if the exhaust fumes are blown back into the cabin.

If you do get a downpipe for the most power then get a full 3" with full 3" exhaust and a slightly larger resonator or muffler than suggested before.

If you want to stay 2.5" exhaust and want a DP then get pierce full DP and full 2.5" exhaust with resonator mentioned.

Difference between 2.5" to 3" turbo back will be ~5 whp on a stock turbo being pushed hard. 5-10 whp going from what you have now to a full 2.5" turbo back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with trdtoy. I have an 845 catless downpipe and I don’t notice any smells. Plus no cel. Had it on for about 5 months. Also have a cnt exhaust. It has a small muffler right after the downpipe and it has no drone at all on the highway. It’s relatively quiet on the highway. I’m full bolt on and tuned. But give it some gas and I’m waking up the neighborhood 😬

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! So I actually stayed with the catless downpipe. It's growing on me right now but as of now, I'm looking to change my catback to something different. I wanted a deeper sound, and I know trdtoy recommended a 3" diameter flow, but I'm worried if it will sound raspy.

I purchased an MBRP S4703AL 2.5 inch aluminum catback a few hours ago so I'm hoping it should be okay when it comes to performance wise?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
it will be fine. Like I said ~5 whp difference 2.5" to 3" on stock turbo when pushed hard(270+ whp). Only thing that will hurt power after the catback goes on will be the current DP setup. The pierce full DP will help power the most of what's available now.

Reactions: TooGqForYou
1 - 20 of 21 Posts