Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove a VT a few days ago and the power was much more linear than I had hoped.
Is this adjustable in the near future once an ECU flash is available?
Less of the feeling I get from a Civic SI and more like a WRX.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
when an ecu flash is available this car is really going to wake up .. that being said the difference the car I test drove at the dealership and mike car from import shark (both auto and no mods) was astounding after the car broke in

·
Registered
718 Posts
when an ecu flash is available this car is really going to wake up .. that being said the difference the car I test drove at the dealership and mike car from import shark (both auto and no mods) was astounding after the car broke in
Yeah the more miles I put on the better it gets. Better acceleration, better mileage, better shifting and clutch feel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
while i agree on increased HP...try tightening up the suspension/bushings....

it'll really liven up the car by being able to put all the available power to the pavement and also handle nicely :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much HP is the stock VT putting to the pavement?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The linear turbo feel is something that Hyundai is pretty proud of - and it is pretty nice for daily driving.

The VT is limited during the break-in period so your test drive may not be a good representation of its characteristics.

Now that mine is broken in the turbo effect is more pronounced. But it still isn't anything like the old turbos where it chugs at first and then the turbo gauge pegs and you have to hang on to the wheel hard.

Where the VT's turbo shines is during daily driving where the turbo is not running at all and you are getting 30mpg and you decide that you need to pass all these slow people or merge on to the highway like you mean it and you just floor it without downshifting. You have about a second for a quick mirror check and the turbo comes on with a pronounced effect and you are way over the speed limit in just a few seconds.

The Veloster is not a GTI or a even a Civic Si and definitely not a WRX. The Veloster gets knocked for not really being a hot hatch too. The way I see it a hot hatch has to be affordable to qualify. The old GTIs were affordable and the current one is not. The Civic Si is staying to true to form price-wise but it's not a hatch.

The Veloster does not have a limited slip differential or a McPherson strut rear suspension. It does have 201hp, nice rims, decent brakes, leather, glass roof, LED lights and a fully functioning with NAV and rear view camera for $25K out the door. Oh yeah, it can get over 40mpg on the highway and 28mpg daily and it has a 5 year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper roadside warranty and a 10 year/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
wanted to push the rpm a little, shifted at 4,300 rpm on average, was way over the 60 mph speed limit in a few seconds on 4th gear ... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts