Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing hyundai parts site and for the heck of it, I just changed to 2015 Veloster from 2013.
Not only the part number is different for the front coil springs, but also $40 cheaper if I choose 2015 instead of 2013.
This is for the 2015-2017 Vel Turbo
This is for the 2013, but only up to 3/2013, then it's a different p/n again. ( 2014 it's different part number again)
Are there any significant differences if these vehicles using the same struts and setups? Why is this?

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
there are no actual specifications but it is believed that through the years the spring rate has changed .

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no actual specifications but it is believed that through the years the spring rate has changed .
So they changed it from '13 to 2014, and then changed it again for 2015 (and then again)?
Also the R-Spec is a different P/N than regular turbo,, seeing in a video someone lifting up the car and the wheel drop from the well while the car in the air is much bigger.
I just bought the 2015 springs for like $70 a piece, I'm gonna put them on my 2013. Just wanna see what happens. I also have a set of Eibach springs, but the drop is way too much, one bump while turning and it's rubbing on my 17" 225s.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Probably.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
317 Posts
I just bought the 2015 springs for like $70 a piece, I'm gonna put them on my 2013. Just wanna see what happens. I also have a set of Eibach springs, but the drop is way too much, one bump while turning and it's rubbing on my 17" 225s.
Honestly I doubt there would be much difference in the springs except for possible spring rate changes.
That may be a good thing so give us a review when you replace them.
Also for the sake of the thread could you also have the 2013 springs side by side with the 2015 springs?
This way we can see some differences in the amount of coils and if one is taller than the other.
Good luck. 👍

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I doubt there would be much difference in the springs except for possible spring rate changes.
That may be a good thing so give us a review when you replace them.
Also for the sake of the thread could you also have the 2013 springs side by side with the 2015 springs?
This way we can see some differences in the amount of coils and if one is taller than the other.
Good luck. 👍
Just guessing, they gonna be the same size but since I saw plenty complaints online (on a car complaining website) and harsh ride was one of them for the 2013, it's possible that Hyundai actually made them softer.
Hyundai does listen though, plenty of their people checking the sites for all kinds of opinions, I bet some are watching this forum as well.
Anyway, I'll make some pictures when they arrive.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Get specs of both. Measure things like weight, coils, thickness, and height of car after settling very precise if you can on everything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get specs of both. Measure things like weight, coils, thickness, and height of car after settling very precise if you can on everything.
Unfortunately I didn't measure weight with a scale, but I made some comparison shots. the '15 springs definitely feel lighter by just holding it in my hand.
The 2013 springs are more robust and rigid. The '13 version also thicker material and the coil curve is different, see pics.

The '15 springs look taller, but after installing them, the wheel gap is the same as the 13' spring setup.
The '15s flex more and on the first test drive, they do feel softer than the '13 springs, giving a better ride quality.
BTW those are 17" wheels with 225/45 tires.
Hyundai did change the spring rate on these as I thought. I'd say the '13 VT gives the roughest ride for an obvious reason on the 1st gen turbos.
I didn't make a picture of the car with the Eibach springs, but imagine no gap at all and I couldn't even put my pinky finger between the tire and the fender if I turned my wheel outward. Looks great, but not really great on sht roads as a daily driver.

In my opinion, the OEM '13 springs keeps the car tall but as far as ride quality, they aren't much better than a lowered car.
The dirtier looking spring is the 2013. The ride height of the car is the same using both springs. Also my car on the last picture is on a slight slope front of my garage.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Rspec springs are a a different weight, 2015 R is what the 2016 Rally uses. But from 2013 - 2014 base model used the 17 in wheel while 2015 and up are for the 18 in wheel.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Only the base non turbo (12-17) gets a 17 all Other velosters (style tech nav) (base turbo, r spec, ultimate turbo) get different styles in 18 inch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts