Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Changes for 2014

61K views 185 replies 61 participants last post by  VeloOperator 
#1 ·
According to my new September issue of Car and Driver magazine, the changes for the '14 Veloster are: " The base model gets daytime running lights and a rearview camera, and the Turbo gets brake-actuated torque vectoring and an engine-sound generator." They list no minor trim changes.

#5 ·
There is no full article. The September issue covers all the changes for all makes and models. So except for a few articles, most are just short rundowns for each model. I quoted everything from the magazine that there was about the Veloster.

#9 ·
My Genesis has the sound generator. Its basically a tube off the intake running into the cabin so you can hear the car more. The torque vectoring would be using the brakes to slow down a spinning wheel and/or the wheel with the least amount of traction. Electronic brake LSD basically.

#16 ·
Who knows but for it to come from multiple people I would think is is more likely than not. On the think tank I believe people asked about the 2014 and JFK said SEMA in November as well as hyundai performance parts. They probably only tell about major changes than anything.

#25 ·
There has to be more information to come. I doubt they would give away all the information on changes to just a magazine before it is even officially released. I hope that if they do an r-spec they keep the technology because that is a big part of the car.

Reactions: phrozenghost
#27 ·
Torque vectoring is a bit more complex than outlined above. The operation of the differential is controlled by wheel slip and by steering angle, so unlike a crude limited slip differential which will provoke major understeer, torque vectoring keeps the car pointed where you are steering it. I have driven a turbo diesel Focus with torque vectoring on a wet road and it was a step above traction control, and it put power down to the road effectively with no impact on steering or handling.

#28 ·
I'm really hoping there's some good updates for 2014. If the torque vectoring thing is true then that would be a good thing now if they would put the 7 speed DCT that's been in recent Kia/Hyundai concepts that would be awesome along with a mileage boost.

#30 ·
The odds of them putting any major driveline or chassis modifications is ZERO. If they offer any "r" package (and they won't) the changes will be limited to suspension (installing an Aus spec kit & factory STB), brakes (a Brembo setup sized to our cars) and soft parts (grill, g-meter in the head unit, etc).
But it won't happen. It would pull sales directly from the Genesis. And corporate wont play like that.

#33 ·
I'd be down to get an R-Spec. Though as someone previously said, they have to keep the tech on this car since it is part of its appeal. One thing they should get rid of for the R-spec is the huge sunroof that should be substantial weight savings in itself. Transmission wise, keep both choices.
I'm almost ready to buy a car just waiting for the new Mazda 3 with the 2.5, the Forte5 SX and the 2014 VT to show up in showrooms. Based on my test drives with the larger Mazda6, those new Skyactiv engines need to be revved a lot to get them going. VT is much more punchy off the line which is always nice and never had to make the engine scream for dear life to do passing maneuvers which is a plus!

#35 ·
Couldn't any Rspec parts easily be bought after the fact and put on our non Rspec VTs? For instace if they install G meter in the head unit its only a matter of time b4 someone hacks that into their VT. same goes with brembro brakes etc.

#36 ·
If they do an rspec then it will manual only. No sunroof or frilly add ons. Stiffer dampers, higher spring rate, bigger sway, brembos, LSD( torque vectoring) It should be a little lighter then the base since hy would remove extra junk. Gencoupe rspec formula.

The vt would be competing against the fiesta st. 1.6t sub compact arena.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.