Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Born to Run

Just saw this posted on the Turbo V FB group and thought I would share..

Looks pretty awesome but also a ton of work and I don't see much possible gains with the stock turbo and stock boost tuning.. Of course that is just my theory anyway.

Here is what I posted on the FB group in response to this setup..

"
pretty badass looking.. I wonder though how much of a benefit the IC/charge piping upgrade would have to offer with the stock turbo.

nothing translated right for me so I can't tell if they did any testing or anything of the like..

The intercooler looks like it is at least a 3" core and 7" tall, maybe more.. and the core looks like it is 23-24"... ~483+- seems like quite the core size on the stock turbo and very overkill."

"yeah, still looks really big, especially when the ambient vs. intake temps at WOT are only around 20-25 degrees different with the stock intercooler.

The hardest part of this piping setup would be the part near the turbo outlet where it is 'crushed' so it doesn't hang to low.. would have to use regular piping which might sit a little lower..

If I were to do something like this I would just keep the piping under the motor and connect it similar to how the SRT-4 hot pipe setup is on most aftermarket kits"

"that kit adds a decent amount of length and quite a bit of volume over the stock setup which means some lag would most likely be noticed.

I don't think I would want to add lag and hardly increase efficiency (using the stock turbo) by going with a setup of this magnitude. A simple meth injection setup or an Intercooler sprayer could probably drop the temps down below the ~20 degree difference with everything stock.
"

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for people that see the obvious 'benefit' to the Intercooler setup of more surface area and bigger core.

it has the ducting which pushes the air to the 'blocked' area and also seems decently efficient from the logs that I have looked at. ~20 degree difference from ambient to intake temperatures seems better than just 'acceptable' to me.

If the setup in the link was 100% efficient (which is pretty much impossible) it would only be able to get as cool as ambient and still would induce lag by the piping length and volume of the Intercooler itself.

It it more likely that even with the surface area, the intake temps would still be ~7-10 degrees warmer than ambient which could be accomplished much easier, me thinks..

It does look quite awesome though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Very nice, I'd buy that fmic kit for the right price. That intercooler is still small in my book, but at least it fits with the stock crash bar which is a plus. Sucks though that it looks like the cold pipe has to be taken off each time you have to replace the oil filter.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
If that's the case you may be rejected from any warranty work or even anything that requires to change that piece. Last time I went to the dealership to get service I asked one of the guys out of curiosity if he needed to do anything such as warranty work for w/e reason on my turbo (it had the forge bov attached to the solenoid, common spot for Genesis Coupes) he pointed out none of the service techs would touch that part of the car at all. So I'm guessing were making it harder for the service techs at hyundai to do any work...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If that's the case you may be rejected from any warranty work or even anything that requires to change that piece. Last time I went to the dealership to get service I asked one of the guys out of curiosity if he needed to do anything such as warranty work for w/e reason on my turbo (it had the forge bov attached to the solenoid, common spot for Genesis Coupes) he pointed out none of the service techs would touch that part of the car at all. So I'm guessing were making it harder for the service techs at hyundai to do any work...
Not saying this to you in particular NoXiDe. Please don't mod if you're worried about warranty people. Modifications and warranty are enemies.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Not saying this to you in particular NoXiDe. Please don't mod if you're worried about warranty people. Modifications and warranty are enemies.
I'm quite aware, but one of the members pointed out how you'd have to remove the cold pipe in order to get to the oil filter and it made me think about oil changes done at the dealership. When you get your oil change at the dealership they also replace your oil filter, so would this mean they would turn you away and recommend getting your oil change done elsewhere is where I was going with.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any idea what monitoring system is used (DGX?)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm quite aware, but one of the members pointed out how you'd have to remove the cold pipe in order to get to the oil filter and it made me think about oil changes done at the dealership. When you get your oil change at the dealership they also replace your oil filter, so would this mean they would turn you away and recommend getting your oil change done elsewhere is where I was going with.
Ah I get you. And that was me that pointed out the cold pipe and oil filter.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
it is actually the hot pipe that needs to be removed with this kit to remove the oil filter.

The core alone is almost 500 ci.

The stock core is ~266 ci.

Just a clipping from an article on intercooler design and calculations.

EDIT: edited for off calculations and not compensating for heat soak issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
I wonder what turbo options we'll have. SFR or some other vendor such as PRW should be able to develop a pretty nice package for 2-3gs which includes injectors, turbo upgrade, upgraded intercooler, and a tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts