Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to get some feedback from other VT MT owners that have had a clutch wear out and start slipping. I have had a hard time diagnosing whether my tires are spinning or of the clutch is slipping during aggressive throttle input. I turn traction control on and off and its hard to tell. There is no clutch smell at all, and the roads are still dirty and sometimes cold an wet. i have about 65k miles now on original clutch and have always driven the car gently, no racing and burnouts. my long winded question is has anyone ever smoked or smelt a clutch that was slipping and is there a better way to test the effectiveness of the clutch. thanks all.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
In the past two vehicles that I've been around that clutches slipped it was very noticeable when going 70mph and the engine revs up and the car does not speed up.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I remember there was a thread on here about some defective clutch packs from 2013. Can't say I've heard much recently. I would try searching to forums for that thread, you may find what you are looking for.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
In the past two vehicles that I've been around that clutches slipped it was very noticeable when going 70mph and the engine revs up and the car does not speed up.
this...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Generally, get up to around 40, put it in 4th or 5th, push the pedal to the floor. If it revs quickly instead of slowly picking up speed, it's slipping. You may not smell it then though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also, the only time I've smelled the clutch burning was while launching my Z28 at the drag strip. Smelled almost as bad as GL5 fluid. So I'm guessing unless you're driving hard or doing burnouts, you won't smell anything.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I just went through a slipping clutch on this car. What you described is exactly what i was feeling. Under hard accel i coulnd tell if i was losing traction or the clutch.. I didnt get any odd peddle feel or and issues driving at first.. After i totally wiped it out you could hear metal to metal contact when it grabbed. On street driving i could only use partial throttle or the rpm would sky rocket, catch, sky rocket, catch, etc...

I never got a smell from it.. But the first sign i got was just as you described.. It was about 3-4 weeks before the car became undriveable

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
No, you unbolt the transmission and drop it down. Our car is relatively small so someone with big triceps could just bench press it and do it them self. A decent shop might quote you $400-600 range.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, you unbolt the transmission and drop it down. Our car is relatively small so someone with big triceps could just bench press it and do it them self. A decent shop might quote you $400-600 range.
if this is true i am much less worried about it. I am the kind of guy that would get an upgrade on those parts if i had to go in there to change them out. something good for up to 275-300hp would be nice, its what i plan to tune close to in the future.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
A stock clutch is like $100 plus labor (guessing 3 hours at $100 an hour) so $400. Why risk it killing your flywheel?
CLutch is $100, Pressure plate is $120 (100-120 cant remember), Labor is 4 hours min, New brake fluid,FLywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, etc.. Well over $400. Now These flywheels go bad and are a wear item. The springs in the Dual mass flywheels are garbage and if they find any play at all they will want to sell you on a new $900 unit. ALso it would be crazy to install a new clutch and not do the flywheel on these Dual mass IMO as they will eventually fail.. This is why we made the Lightweight single mass FLywheel and clutch which will end up being cheaper that a factory replacement.. On future clutch jobs if you keep the car you will never have to replace the flywheel ever again..

So By me saying no biggy on wearing on the flywheel, it will need to be changed anyway.

Taking labor out of it:

Stock clutch and fly kit $1200 give or take if you buy the parts online from discount suppliers

Lightweight flywheel and upgraded clutch $1100..

Both will require new Fly bolts which are only like $6 or $50 for ARP, and both will need Pressure plate bolts (Reusable really but why not change to be safe, While your in there mod) $12 stock/ARP $45.

Thats my logic and thinking on this anyways

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i thought you had to pull the engine out to do a clutch on this car? No?
You can just dip the motor a bit and pull tranny.. Tork just pulls it straight out somehow..

It is still quite a bit of work.. But like stated above a shop that has the right tools, lift, etc.. about 4 hours from start to finish is a realistic amount of time

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just noticed a similar issue on my car. In 4, 5, and 6th the clutch seems to start slipping after 3k rpms. Generally I am pretty gentle with the car but my 2015 turbo was pre owned and has 57000 miles. One of the main reasons I knew was because after I had turned off traction control, and put it past 3k rpm a check engine light came on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts