Veloster Turbo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have the greddy. I don't think any of the exhaust would really have any issue with the tow hitch but installing yeah you got to take 2 or 3 bolts off and loosen the last a bit to swing it around.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On Sunday, I took it into a shop and they did that. Even an impact wrench wouldn't do it. I just took it into a local shop today and they had to heat the bolts to get them to move. 2 hours of labor. $190 but it's installed. Man, does this thing sound sweeeeet!!
Can you post a sound clip? I'm getting impatient with waiting to get mine installed!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dang, my pipes came off with just a 12" 3/8" drive ratchet at 6000 miles. I didn't even use penetrating lube. Sawzal does all?
I'm right under 6000 miles right now, hope mine come of nice and easy as well!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Getting mine installed tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
A couple of updates. I put the car back up on the hoist for some fine tuning.

IMG_20160812_183129.jpg
This parking brake line rests directly the midpipe, and was already suffering some heat damage after a week of occasional driving. (To be clear, I have an exhaust hanger removed for this picture. Normally the line is in direct contact.) The stock exhaust has a heat shield over this section. I think this should be considered a "must fix" item.

IMG_20160812_185133.jpg
Not pretty, but a bit of fiberglass "header" wrap should keep this from becoming a bigger issue. I considered wrapping the exhaust itself (as well, or instead), but decided I wanted to keep the exhaust looking natural.

IMG_20160812_182810.jpg
I was aware of Torque Solutions popular exhaust mount upgrade solution, but after some research I came across an alternative I wanted to try. This is a Kartboy standard length 12mm hanger. It's intended for Subaru applications, but the measurements match our OEM exhaust mounts perfectly. It helped that I found a super-cheap supplier for them in Canada. I intend to let them know about the potential addition to their application list.

IMG_20160812_191440.jpg
They have very little flex, but weren't too difficult to install. They make the stock hangers seem like rubber bands by comparison.

IMG_20160812_182130.jpg
I installed four of these in the stock locations, including the orange-colored hanger on the downpipe. (I couldn't see any obvious reason for a different hanger at this location, though it does have a different part number. Maybe extra heat resistance?). Quite a bit of sag was eliminated, especially up at the front of the resonator.

IMG_20160812_194246.jpg
I got the tips hanging where I want them again, without resorting to zip ties, and was happy to find that the stiffer hangers DID NOT increase the cabin vibration or noise. It's been suggested before that upgraded mounts are a necessity -- I wouldn't go that far, but they sure don't hurt.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nice! The Torque Solutions and the Kartboy appear to be the same.
Yeah, they could be running the same CAD file. Only thing that bugged me was they only beveled the edges on one side.

I couldn't track down a sensible price for the individual Torque hangers shipping into or from Canada, and felt silly paying extra for a kit with an extra OEM muffler mount I didn't need. I'm happy the gamble paid off.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Exhaust 1.jpg

exhaust tips.jpg

Had mine installed by a friend at his muffler shop. Took him about 1.5 hours (Those damn OEM tips were a bitch!) I have the same issue with the brake line and will have to address it sometime today. I laso used the torque stiff hangars, thanks to christobevii3 for that! I love love love the sound of this exhaust! I find the only time the drone is bad is when RPM's are coming down (foot off of the gas) or a little when downshifting. Cruising at any speed and there is zero drone!I may try some dyno mat in the hatch cargo area to see if it will lessen some of the noise, all in all, very happy love the sound I'm getting from this exhaust, more than worth the money. Next up...gotta get my 6ee Intake installed!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad you finally got it installed! Pretty much exactly how things went with mine. I agree with your findings about how and when the drone noise comes up.

My tips originally liked to settle toward the passenger side, like in your picture. I think I got it mostly sorted by fine tuning the clamp joints, but you could also try adding a "spacer" or two on the end of the Y-pipe hanger rod. I had luck with a couple of zip ties.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Glad you finally got it installed! Pretty much exactly how things went with mine. I agree with your findings about how and when the drone noise comes up.

My tips originally liked to settle toward the passenger side, like in your picture. I think I got it mostly sorted by fine tuning the clamp joints, but you could also try adding a "spacer" or two on the end of the Y-pipe hanger rod. I had luck with a couple of zip ties.
Yeah, I just noticed when I was looking a the tips, they seem to move around a good bit. I guess I will try zip ties as well? Or if its a big enough gap to fill, I might be able to use one of the old hangers? To address the brake line hanging down on the exhaust, I removed that small piece of heat shield that was on the stock exhaust and will try to put it on the new exhaust in the correct place as needed to keep the brake line from resting directly on the pipes. I don't have jack stands or ramps, so it will have to wait til tom. Is the pipe straight where the brake line touches? If its in a bend, I wont be able to use the heat shield.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed when I was looking a the tips, they seem to move around a good bit. I guess I will try zip ties as well? Or if its a big enough gap to fill, I might be able to use one of the old hangers?
The support rod for the tailpipe definitely allows a lot of side-to-side movement -- a fairly large section of the rod can slide freely through the hanger. Zip ties are an easy thing to try between the hanger and the end retainer to restrict rod movement. It probably won't need as much filler as the old hanger would provide, but it's not hard to test with some trial and error.

To address the brake line hanging down on the exhaust, I removed that small piece of heat shield that was on the stock exhaust and will try to put it on the new exhaust in the correct place as needed to keep the brake line from resting directly on the pipes. I don't have jack stands or ramps, so it will have to wait til tom. Is the pipe straight where the brake line touches? If its in a bend, I wont be able to use the heat shield.
I'm afraid it is right at the first bend before heading over the axle. You might have to try something else.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The support rod for the tailpipe definitely allows a lot of side-to-side movement -- a fairly large section of the rod can slide freely through the hanger. Zip ties are an easy thing to try between the hanger and the end retainer to restrict rod movement. It probably won't need as much filler as the old hanger would provide, but it's not hard to test with some trial and error.

I'm afraid it is right at the first bend before heading over the axle. You might have to try something else.
I used zip ties to center the tips and keep them in place, seems to be good. Went back to the shop that did the install this A.M. he put another clamp with a gasket on top on the pipe where the brake line was touching. This keeps the line off of the exhaust pipe as needed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed when I was looking a the tips, they seem to move around a good bit. I guess I will try zip ties as well? Or if its a big enough gap to fill, I might be able to use one of the old hangers? To address the brake line hanging down on the exhaust, I removed that small piece of heat shield that was on the stock exhaust and will try to put it on the new exhaust in the correct place as needed to keep the brake line from resting directly on the pipes. I don't have jack stands or ramps, so it will have to wait til tom. Is the pipe straight where the brake line touches? If its in a bend, I wont be able to use the heat shield.

https://scgarageworks.com/product/torque-solution-exhaust-mount-kit-hyundai-veloster-1-6l-2011/

You may want to consider getting these, I had a lot of issue with the fitment not being perfect and it moving around a lot since the stock hangers are very flexible and loose. This is much more rigid and cleared it up right away. I temporarily used zip ties until I installed these though

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
241 - 260 of 284 Posts