Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a velloster turbo 2015 and i started noticing the idle is off at times. A code p0441 popped up so i replaced the purge valve still hasn't fixed the problem. The exhaust is black which is normal for velosters they run rich anyways but at times when i am at idle the idle drops and comes back up from about 750 to 500 back to 750 like its trying to stall maybe. It will keep doing that until you take off again. It drives fine but the idle is off as i said. Also when i upshift the exhaust pops like it is cleaning itself out the more it pops the less the idle is ruff. I did do a muffler/reasonator delete but that shouln't affect anything as it is all exhaust. Would it be a bad CAT or anothet part
In the evap system or what im not sure and im stumped. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,805 Posts
Solenoid, gas cap, CCV

Reactions: MrNicG

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
67 Posts
You lost me at "the exhaust is black which is normal for velosters they run rich [...]".
My Veloster never has visible exhaust and I have never seen one that does. Do you live at a high altitude? I have always lived near sea level so pretty much all modern cars always get enough air.
Have you checked your plugs? Trouble at idle can simply be plugs. Always keep in mind that an OBD code is not guaranteed to be precisely the problem, especially on modified cars. Think of it more like the ECU is saying "this is what would probably be the problem. I +1 gas cap too. Even if it seems fine, you might consider replacing it. Hang onto the old one in a sealed bag if that doesn't fix the problem and then you know you have a good spare.
"Exhaust pop" is called a backfire. If your car is running so rich you have black exhaust, then you are certainly going to have occasional backfires. "Muffler delete" affects your backpressure and certainly can impact performance. "Muffler delete" is not a performance modification, it is just a way to add noise.

Joined 2 days ago, first post talking about being almost complacent with running like crap until now? Sounds like a troll...

·
Super Moderator
3,545 Posts
the soot is normal... this actually happens alot.

both my velosters are sooty. the non turbo and the turbo. i dont even clean the chrome up lol

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
67 Posts
Sorry but that comes across to me about the same as looking at squished tires and hearing "yeah, they just do that when it's cold".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts