Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you VT gurus out there,

I was just wondering about the coil pack since we have so much issue with it, and I am begin to think that my coil pack #1 and #3 is going out since I am getting a misfire code.

The bad thing is my car only has 30K miles on it. I think that is too early for a oil pack failure right?

But the question that I have for all you VT Gurus is that since some of us are tuned or upgraded in someway, could that have contributed to the early coil pack failure? or is it just that the coil pack is made of cheap quality?

Also I was thinking is there any after market coil pack we can buy and try? or can we even use the coil packs that is coming out of the Genesis that has little more power and the coil pack is a bit more stronger than the VT has?

Has anyone heard about the coil pack failure from Genesis group?

So what do you guys think? Is the Genesis coil pack compatible to our VT? is it worth it to even look into this option?

Thanks for all the advise and comments.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It would be a good option if there were better coil packs for the vt .i had the same problem first changed out the spark plugs and no more misfire .so coils are good my car was parked for maybe a month so i beleive somehow the spark plugs failed. Dont know why

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Have you checked the plugs? 30k on a stock car and it should be about time. There have been a few cases of coils going out and from the looks of things they have changed coilpacks for the 16's.

I would recommend checking plugs then move the 1&3 coils to 2&4 and see if it follows.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
owners manual states 46 or 48k miles. i cant remember.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Plugs only last 30k miles? I think my rangers factory plugs lasted 120k miles...8 plugs in a 4 cylinder.
Completely different car and ignition system. Some cars can most gdi cars will end up being somewhere 30-40 k typically in non stressed environments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This would be my second set of plugs. I had the Xp5703 in there last and when the misfiring start to happen I went ahead and pull the plugs like everyone suggested just to see if the plugs are the issue.

On one of the plugs the ceramic was covering the electrode. So maybe the first cause of the mis fire. I went ahead and change out the plugs and put everything back.

try to drive with WOT. No CEL this time but still misfire with the CEL blinking and finally CEL stayed off. When I get the car home I pull a reading I got the P0300, p0301, P0303. The same code as I had before.

So now I am suspecting the coils.

I went ahead and purchased two extra Coil packs. So I will install them tomorrow along with some new plugs 1422's

I will update the forum from the end result of the plug and coil pack change.

It is just so strange that if the coil pack is bad why would it drive normal without WOT?

But when try to do a WOT that is when the stumbling and CEL happen.

Fuel line is on the way so if the plug and coil pack doesn't help that will be next.

After that I guess have to put everything back to stock and back to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
This happened to me and I got the same codes when the plugs were replaced. Let the car sit a bit. After you clear the codes, pull the negative cable and let it sit for a bit. Reconnect the negative and try driving the car. Likely the code is gone.

When I dropped a plug, I had 2,3, and 4 giving missfires. Swapped plugs to 1422's cleared codes and went for a short drive. Missfire was still there. Put the stock plugs back in and dropped the car off at the dealer. They didn't do anything to my car, it was running fine by the time they pulled it into the bay. Gave the car back, no missfires and still had the codes. Cleared codes, pulled the battery, swapped the 1422's back in. Connected the battery and took it for a drive. Ran fine, no issues and no more codes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So fellow VTers. Here is the latest on my misfire issue. After replacing the coil #1, & #3 and some fresh 1422's. No more misfire or CEL. Car run like a bat out of hell again. But will go ahead and change the fuel line with the 6ee fuel line just in case.

Thanks for everyone's input and comments.

You guys are the best. ��

·
Registered
618 Posts
By changing both parts at the same time we actually don't know what the real cause was though...

Glad it fixed your issue however.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will say coil pack for sure. Since the plugs that I pull out was 1422's. But I just don't want to trouble shoot with old plugs. Just in case..

·
Registered
618 Posts
I will say coil pack for sure. Since the plugs that I pull out was 1422's. But I just don't want to trouble shoot with old plugs. Just in case..
Gotcha, I'm assuming then that the replacement plugs you mentioned in post #9 were either new or known to be OK... So I'd see why you concluded that you think it was the coils.

What gap are you running, .028 works well on tuned cars...

FYI, you asked why the misfires would only happen at WOT but go away under other conditions, that is because at WOT the cylinders are filled with greater volume of air, and when compressed makes for a much higher dynamic compression ratio and higher cylinder pressures, a higher pressure denser mixture is harder to ignite, as more voltage is needed to jump the same spark gap at higher psi...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vincent,

Thanks for the info. I am currently gap @ .30. I had the plugs gap @.28 before. I can't tell any different so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So fellow VTers. Here is the latest on my misfire issue. After replacing the coil #1, & #3 and some fresh 1422's. No more misfire or CEL. Car run like a bat out of hell again. But will go ahead and change the fuel line with the 6ee fuel line just in case.

Thanks for everyone's input and comments.

You guys are the best. ��
Did this cause the car to sputter when trying to floor it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
This car seems to be notorious for coil packs going out. If you feel one or one tested as bad, I typically replace them all along with plugs. I purchased coil packs from rockauto.com and use Hyundai branded plugs.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,260 Posts
^^^^^neither one is a good idea^^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Only use OEM ignition coils. The cheap knockoffs won’t last and will misfire soon, putting your engine at risk. If you have no choice, the Delphi coils would be the only aftermarket ones I’d consider and just as temporary backups.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts