Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have been looking at cold air intakes and how they work. It seems no one can agree if they are a silly gimmick or a great way to add horsepower. Also if its worth it what design is the best for a VT regarding horsepower. I am also wondering about how they sound. i live right next to the police station, will they be hassling me because my car sounds like a jet engine? I am not looking to race or anything but i would love to see a stock VT vs one with a CAI, if anyone has seen anything like that. Some people have said it has more effect the more bolt ons you have, is that the case?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
VT does get considerable performance gains from SRI/CAI. 3" SRI Intakes will create more power and vacuum sucking noise. 3" CAI a bit more power than 3" SRI and slightly more noise. Moving upto 3.5" SRI get you a little bit more power than 3" CAI but considerably less noise. 3.5" CAI may not really be worth it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Also, When people say it's worthless, it's generally in reference to naturally aspirated vehicles. I don't think there is a single person that knows his ass from a hole in the ground that will say a bigger, more efficient intake on an FI engine is worthless.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a 3.5sri. Noticeable gains in higher rpms.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Here are the answers to all your questions,...and several different options for you. The short of it is they ALL work. The degree and decibles of return are up to you. So is your choice of manufacture. If you want capability but a bit more quiet, GODZILLA CAI with a long open ended Spectre filter. If you want the hghest hp boost and sound like a Harrier jump-jet, do what I have a 3.5 SRI with an 4 inch ALUMINUM velocity stak and a 6 inch open ended cone.

Enjoy reading.
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-turbo-diy/8885-godzilla-intake-universal-brand-application.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello, on my VT, I have a Tuned Injen CAI, however, I shortened this to the short ram for ease of cleaning the filter without removing the whole bumper. I love this CAI and because this is tuned, it does not show check engine lights. If you liked to hear the woosh when you give the car some gas, this would be a good option. Also, the CAI allows you to hear the blow off valve louder at lower rpms. I have mine anodized in black and it looks awesome when I pop the hood. Here's a pic: 20141229_212507(0).jpg Sorry, don't know where the pic went of when I changed it to short ram. I also notice the car takes off easier (I drive a manual R-Spec).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Intakes are all based on preference, granted from a SRI to CAI you will had an increase. From 3 inch to 3.5 you will have in increase. We have a few different intakes on our website for anyone who is interested, take a look and see. Welcome | DamnFastDD.com

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but compared to my Chevy Cruze intake, the intake on our cars sounds AMAZING

Yes, it is loud but the way my cruze sounded was downright stupid, on this car it actually sounds like a turbo instead of a massive air leak

·
Registered
897 Posts
How about a kn typhoon vs 3.5 Sri? Looking for the "quietest" option and it sounds like the 3.5 is it. Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
The typhoon is nice, but I think someone had tested and found its a bit restrictive. The 3.5 options with as big a filter you can fit will be your quietist.
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello i have been looking at cold air intakes and how they work. It seems no one can agree if they are a silly gimmick or a great way to add horsepower. Also if its worth it what design is the best for a VT regarding horsepower. I am also wondering about how they sound. i live right next to the police station, will they be hassling me because my car sounds like a jet engine? I am not looking to race or anything but i would love to see a stock VT vs one with a CAI, if anyone has seen anything like that. Some people have said it has more effect the more bolt ons you have, is that the case?
To truly isolate cold air you need to intake from the wheel well in front of the tire. If the cold air intake is allowing air to enter inside the engine cabin, that's not really cold air, that's why some intakes have a wall directly behind the intake to shield the heat.

I have uncles that do custom cars, hot rods and race, as well as I have tried cold air intake on a couple of vehicles. My uncles do NOT use any sort of cold air intake in any vehicle.

I have a dyno in a phone app and a laptop, have done lots of testing.. cold air intakes are a gimmick.

It SOUNDS good on paper, but in reality cold air intake is very subjective, besides which TURBO defeats the entire purpose of cold air.. cold air is for regular aspirated engines to help increase responsiveness but in reality it does not work.

For me HP nor gas mileage made ANY discernible difference w/ cold air intake. complete waste of time

Here is a youtube video showing the results also.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Its not worth spending money, the only way to get more performance is to TUNE the PCM AND get a high flow air filter (performance filter).. replacing the stock filter for CAI is a waste, for one thing car manufactures tune these cars pretty well, so they make them (albeit for the masses) perform with stock parts..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cool, thanks. So why do some people seem to think it is worthless?
The gains that are promised by CAI intake is around 20HP, even these charts in this same forum shows even the smallest of gains less than 2HP, not 20.

Is it REALLY worth 400 bucks for 2 HP gain? NO!

Hence WORTH-LESS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts