Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do a compression test on my own and getting really low numbers so trying to figure out if there is a trick or step I'm missing. Compression for the 1.6L Turbo should be 180-200 psi right? I had a shop do it a few month or so ago and they reported 190, 190, 180 and 180. I get 120 max but all 4 cylinders are almost identical at 120. It's a brand new gauge/tester kit and I even rented another one from Autozone and that one was also reading low.

Here are the steps I'm doing.
  1. remove and unplug coil packs
  2. remove all 4 spark plugs
  3. Unplug Fuel pump and fuel pump relay/Fuse
  4. connect compression tool to spark plug opening hand tight.
  5. Crank engine (Press start button) with foot on brake and with throttle all the way open (foot down on pedal). Not sure if this does anything on fly by wire cars but other places said to do it.
If you guys have seen my other posts the you know my engine has some issues but 120 on all 4 cylinders is just strange. I feel like I'm missing something. Do I also need to pull the ignition relays/fuses? I have a throttle controller installed, is that screwing with something? I tried the test both wet and dry and results were about the same. Wet was maybe 125 vs dry 120. Do I just have a shitty tool? I tried two different tools and got similar results.

Anything I'm missing or is my engine really that bad and what would cause all 4 cylinders to be that low and not see a difference between wet and dry. Don't think that would be piston rings unless they are all 4 equally shot and worn which seems unlikely.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
It depends on if the engine is hot or cold, oil in cylinder or not, and air pressure. But on a cold engine at sea level the VT will top out in the 140 area. If all are the same or very close no worries.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on if the engine is hot or cold, oil in cylinder or not, and air pressure. But on a cold engine at sea level the VT will top out in the 140 area. If all are the same or very close no worries.
just curious how the shop got 180-190 a couple months ago and I could only get to 125 wet today. I did both warm and cold tests and they were the same.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
Do not worry about it. If it was that high and all close or the same you're good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not worry about it. If it was that high and all close or the same you're good.
I was kinda hoping it was going to come back bad. I have no idea why the car is smoking and burning so much oil. Seems like the piston rings and valves are ok? I’ve been through the PCV system multiple times. And it’s working properly. Tried two turbos and replaced oil feed and return lines with brand new and still has smoke and oil burning. I’m at my wits end…

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What color smoke
white smoke. It's burning oil. I have a another thread that's like 6 pages deep about it if you want to deep dive.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
102 Posts
white smoke. It's burning oil. I have a another thread that's like 6 pages deep about it if you want to deep dive.

Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Tire

is it this color smoke by any chance, i kinda hope this was oil and not coolant.

·
Registered
2013 VT M/T Fully built and tune +5 hp per sticker
43 Posts
How many miles on this? mine was a combination of the turbo ,rings and seals before my build. Lol, basically the entire thing. Is it smoking on the up rev or down? Down would be valves seals. You could pull the cold pipe or down pipe and see what kinda of play you have in the turbo side to side. Should be zero to none. A little up and down is fine. Have you pulled the intake manifold and checked the valves? If they have built up to much carbon they will chew up the seals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts