Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the HKS BOV yesterday and everything went fine, the blow-off valve was performing like it should. I didn't place the blowoff in its factory position, I used a charge pipe to install it. However, when I gave it 100% throttle in 3rd gear, I noticed some boost leak and some delay (about 1 sec) before the HKS whistled and immediately after this failure I got the CEL (Check Engine Light). I cleared the CEL after checking the problem which was obviously from the blowoff valve, and I opened the hood and saw the problem right away: the blowoff's vacuum filter had split in half for some reason. I put it together quickly and was ready to go again, however at 3/4 to full boost the filter still breaks. Again, this was what I saw (check photo below):
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-28 at 9.32.12 PM.jpeg
I really do not want to run my BOV without the filter, because where I live pollution is a big deal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I really do not want to run my BOV without the filter, because where I live pollution is a big deal. Any suggestions?
If pollution* is an issue, run a diverter valve/bypass valve. The pollution* is going to be dumping charge air into the atmosphere from the BOV. Not the small vacuum line that your filter is on. That is from manifold vacuum so that air will be pulled thru and used by the engine anyways

That filter just goes to the vacuum line that CONTROLS the BOV, I would just ditch the filter, life should be good.

I repeat: An atmospheric BOV with be your source of "pollution", not the vacuum line that controls it. Mind you air in the charge piping that a BPV/BOV releases is uncombusted non fueled air. Its as clean as outside air with the exception of any PCV gasses.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I think they are talking about the outside air being polluted and not wanting to have that air get into the workings of the BOV. However that doesn't matter either because the air that enters the engine is all filtered anyways.

You can toss the little filter. Are you still using the factory line that was on the original bypass valve?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If pollution* is an issue, run a diverter valve/bypass valve. The pollution* is going to be dumping charge air into the atmosphere from the BOV. Not the small vacuum line that your filter is on. That is from manifold vacuum so that air will be pulled thru and used by the engine anyways

That filter just goes to the vacuum line that CONTROLS the BOV, I would just ditch the filter, life should be good.

I repeat: An atmospheric BOV with be your source of "pollution", not the vacuum line that controls it. Mind you air in the charge piping that a BPV/BOV releases is uncombusted non fueled air. Its as clean as outside air with the exception of any PCV gasses.

Hope that helps.
I think they are talking about the outside air being polluted and not wanting to have that air get into the workings of the BOV. However that doesn't matter either because the air that enters the engine is all filtered anyways.

You can toss the little filter. Are you still using the factory line that was on the original bypass valve?
Oh that actually makes sense haha thanks anyway I got rid of the filter and it's up and running with no leaks whatsoever. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I've been running the same BOV for months now with no issue. Per recommendation from 845 I never used the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts