Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this problem for a while now where my car (stock turbo) will boost up to 25psi which is likely more than what my engine can take, and start surging/fluttering (during acceleration). Mind you not to get this confused with your traditional turbo flutter when you let off the gas. The car is taking in more air than it needs, thus spewing the excess out, causing surge. As a side note, I also notice it happen even more when its warm outside. It can't the the bov or bpv because those only activate when letting off the gas. The only thing I can think of is the wastegate being stuck closed. Has anyone ever has this problem? Any ideas/ Solutions?

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
This will happen due to the pressure ratio being too high for the air flow from the turbo. Usually cause by too agressive/poor tuning and/or poor flowing and air cooling mods on the car. This usually occurs below 4k rpm on most gen 1 VT.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster turbo 1.6L 6spd manual trans
6 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 16 Veloster turbo. It just started about a week ago. It was pretty bad for a little while where if I went above 3,500 rpm’s it would start to blow off and surge badly. It has calmed down now but still does it. I can build up my boost or rpm’s slowly and it won’t happen. But if I put my foot down without building boost first, it does it bad. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I do have aftermarket parts on. Bigger intercooler, cat back exhaust, short ram intake. Have not put the down pipe on yet and have not got a tune yet. How do I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,424 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 16 Veloster turbo. It just started about a week ago. It was pretty bad for a little while where if I went above 3,500 rpm’s it would start to blow off and surge badly. It has calmed down now but still does it. I can build up my boost or rpm’s slowly and it won’t happen. But if I put my foot down without building boost first, it does it bad. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I do have aftermarket parts on. Bigger intercooler, cat back exhaust, short ram intake. Have not put the down pipe on yet and have not got a tune yet. How do I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.
The car on the oem tune will not turbo surge in 99%+ of cases especially above 3.5k rpm. Above this area with surges in power on heavy throttle is usually oem fuel line issue. This can be seen when datalog the car and will occasionally throw a code but not always. The 16+ cars have less issues with this but it does happen.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
102 Posts
This will happen due to the pressure ratio being too high for the air flow from the turbo. Usually cause by too agressive/poor tuning and/or poor flowing and air cooling mods on the car. This usually occurs below 4k rpm on most gen 1 VT.
finally found out what the fuck is happening 80-120 mph for me

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
102 Posts
We can't buddy :( Just gotta enjoy the car and make it loud and beautiful :/ We can still beat a lot of cars with that range but it really does limit full power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts