Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this was posted already, just can't find it.

To those who installed the cone filters, can you tell me what size cone filter you used, and did you have to use an adapter or attach it directly to the stock tube?

Is this filter available at like an Autozone?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry if this was posted already, just can't find it.

To those who installed the cone filters, can you tell me what size cone filter you used, and did you have to use an adapter or attach it directly to the stock tube?

Is this filter available at like an Autozone?
Just pull the airbox off and see if it is flat or if you could slip a filter over it. Autozone sells a range of filters from spectre to k&n I'm sure you can make something work !

·
Registered
60 Posts
i bought an RR-3003 and a spectre 2.5 to 3.0 adapter. i like how the rr-3003 looks and it was cheaper than the 2.5" cone where i got it

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually got mine from autozone, they have 2 sizes, i got the shorter one and the chrome short pipe they have too. It all fit perfect

·
Registered
8 Posts
The guy from autozone hooked me up with a piece of intake lining or something. Its about 3" in diameter and fits perfectly into the intake tubing if you want to make a quick cheap intake like mine. Its a spectre 3 inch wide intake. Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Car Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't bothered to measure it. But, just by eye-balling the factory intake hose I would say that it has a 3" ID.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
.....actual ID measurement of the tube is irrelevant to increasing the air flow through that tube....it is moving the same amount/volume of air as before because the size of the intake tube did not change when adding the cone....

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think that you've missed the point that the cone filter allows for more airflow (it has a larger surface area and is constructed of material that simply flows better than the OEM part (even a drop in K&N flows better than the factory part), not to mention that the rest of the intake tract before the filter has been eliminated however restrictive that may be). Intake tube dimensions are actually very relevant and since there is always a point of diminishing returns; bigger isn't always better. Check the pipe dimensions of aftermarket intakes like the Injen. I'll bet that they are 2.75"-3" ID. And Injen claims that their SRI picks up a few ponies and pounds across the curve.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I think that you've missed the point that the cone filter allows for more airflow (it has a larger surface area and is constructed of material that simply flows better than the OEM part (even a drop in K&N flows better than the factory part), not to mention that the rest of the intake tract before the filter has been eliminated however restrictive that may be). Intake tube dimensions are actually very relevant and since there is always a point of diminishing returns; bigger isn't always better. Check the pipe dimensions of aftermarket intakes like the Injen. I'll bet that they are 2.75"-3" ID. And Injen claims that their SRI picks up a few ponies and pounds across the curve.
I'll agree to disagree with you. Tossing a cone onto end of stock intake tubing does not improve airflow IMHO and it would take dyno numbers to make be believe otherwise.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
.....actual ID measurement of the tube is irrelevant to increasing the air flow through that tube....it is moving the same amount/volume of air as before because the size of the intake tube did not change when adding the cone....

actually by removing all of the intake silencer parts you could be increasing air velocity it really depends on the bends and pipe diameter after where the filter is placed on the stock system

1 - 17 of 17 Posts