Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Confirming reflash, 2013 VT to 2015 VT

Hey guys, in a couple of days I'm getting the dealership to reflash the ecu to a 2015 vt model.
I'm confirming with you guys on this one... I've been told and have read to do this process to have a more preventative measure in terms of making the engine a little bit more reliable?? Just cuz the internals of the 2013 VT are weak and would help with LPSI?
If I'm talking out of my ass on this one, im very sorry, still learning. please help me out!!

Cheers everyone

·
Registered
377 Posts
Has your dealership agreed? They can’t necessarily flash to a newer model, they can only search for and apply updates to the car as the GDS allows.

You are correct that improvements were made to the OEM calibration. They do have reduced LSPI chance by way of lowering boost, and changing various other parameters. The cal still has issues though, especially with WOT fueling and various other inconsistencies (especially on the Rally Edition).

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Updating the tune will help with longevity of the motor, yes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has your dealership agreed? They can’t necessarily flash to a newer model, they can only search for and apply updates to the car as the GDS allows.

You are correct that improvements were made to the OEM calibration. They do have reduced LSPI chance by way of lowering boost, and changing various other parameters. The cal still has issues though, especially with WOT fueling and various other inconsistencies (especially on the Rally Edition).
The dealership has agreed, but now that you have said that situation, i will have to call them and ask them to make sure i know what they will be doing exactly. I specifically asked them to Reflash the ECU to a 2015 VT.

The Reflash is happening on thursday. so i will have time to find out whats going on.

Thanks for the reply btw! much appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You want bits and pieces from the newer oem tunes but doing a complete reflash from a newer file may cause some issues.
well....thats kind of a bummer...lol which bits and pieces am i to grab though? i'm not sure the extend the dealership is willing to go for on this!

thanks for replying! much appreciated!

·
Registered
377 Posts
They are unable to flash a 2015 file for you. That is not how GDS works. If they agreed, they lied. The most they can do is update to the latest calibration available. The only way you could flash a 2015 is by obtaining a '15 binary and flashing it through PCMFlash. It may not start the car, and it may have issues running. Your best bet is to find a tuner who will give you a "stage 0" esque tune.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are unable to flash a 2015 file for you. That is not how GDS works. If they agreed, they lied. The most they can do is update to the latest calibration available. The only way you could flash a 2015 is by obtaining a '15 binary and flashing it through PCMFlash. It may not start the car, and it may have issues running. Your best bet is to find a tuner who will give you a "stage 0" esque tune.
Do you think i should just cancel the reflash appt then? i dont wanna hurt my Car.
not sure what i can do here...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Do it, no problems will exist

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Incorrect, I gave the guy 20 dollars and he reflashed a separate ECU for me and installed it. No problems to be reported.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Did you ask for a specific model year? And did you confirm they flashed that model years cal id?

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
It was the 2015 model VT, all I can tell you is that he had the hyundai laptop plugged in. I saw some magic and saw it stated 2015. I drove off and could see my boost on the '13 map would peak at 18 LBs max and with the '15 map I was only peaking 15 LBs max.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, hyundai flashes all 13-15 VT of the same trans and push button/key start with the same revised cal ID when updating them. So regardless of year they would have the most updated and safest stock tune.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It was the 2015 model VT, all I can tell you is that he had the hyundai laptop plugged in. I saw some magic and saw it stated 2015. I drove off and could see my boost on the '13 map would peak at 18 LBs max and with the '15 map I was only peaking 15 LBs max.
They have since changed GDS. It’s now tablet based and has much different functions. When I used one it only had an “update” function. It didn’t give a model year. This may have been an option when you had yours done, or if the dealer is still somehow using an old GDS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: So i talked to the Dealership today, and they said, unless something is wrong with the car, like throwing a CEL, they cant really update the ECU. and even if they were to fool around with it, even though i have warranty on the car, it wouldnt be covered under the warranty. Still though i'm taking the car in tomorrow regardless, it'll be the last on the list of cars to look at.
They also said there was a TSB, but, unless the car is throwing a CEL, they wont touch it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts