Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I drives 2012 Elantra, and I'm thinking to trade it with VT.
Why? Its because i want more power, i like driving quick and lots of hills where i live.

I drives auto, but i want to get Standard on the VT because I heard theres some issues with AT tranny.
Any tips/info i should know about the VT?
How hard is it to learn how to drive standard?
Oh...
Anyone living in southern ontario knows any good dealership?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the VT A/T at all - it is a really nice tranny. The VT M/T is probably not the best car to learn to drive a manual transmission.

Good luck finding a matte grey VT. If they make another batch of VT's you might be able to find a matte one.

Living in Ontario could be a problem if you get the matte grey paint. You can't take it through most car wash's. Basically it has to be hand washed and you need to use special soap and finishing goop on it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I went from an '11 Elantra to a VT and I couldnt be happier. The Elantra was a very nice car, but it was such a bore to drive. The VT is much quicker and handles much, much better. Interior, options, etc are very similar. Elantra had bigger back seats, but the VT is a hatch, so its a fair tradeoff space wise. I put almost 55,000kms in under 2 years and I never had any issues with it, so I wonder where the o/p "heard" the AT had issues. Its basically the same AT that Hyundai uses in all there cars.

Where in southern Ontario? I can recommend Burlington Hyundai and Performance Hyundai in St Catharines. The matte will be hard to come by. Most are pre-orders and can take a long time to get.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well automatic transmissions are probably best for Canadians. ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But seriously, I've driven plenty of Hyundai rentals and had a Sonata 2.0l loaner and nobody makes a better automatic transmission than Hyundai - except maybe a 7 speed Getrag on a $80k BMW or Mercedes - and even then the Hyundai is still really good.

Get a VT. It is what you think it is. It is really great and way better then an Elantra.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I own a 2011 Elantra Limited and test drove an auto VT, and I really didn't find that noticeable a difference in power over the Elantra. I was disappointed. I think you would need to get a manual transmission VT to get any appreciable increase in performance over your Elantra. Your MPGs will drop a bit too - not much, but approximately 3-5 mpg. The Elantra is a bit of a bore to drive, but it gets you there safely and cheaply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I heard the A/T has some lag between gears?
I went to 1 dealer they say it's gonna be 2 months wait for the matte, didn't ask for other colors.
So VT burns more gas than elantra? I thought VT was better?

@MTD im in Hamilton too and I got my 3 hyundais in Burlington. Whose the best guy in there? I know that Italian guy, he was nice buthe retired.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i had a2011 elantra stick , and loved the car
i now have a 2013 vt stick , and love it way more
the gas millage isnt as good as the elantra , butthats mostly the gas pedals faullt

got mine from ontario hyundai whitby

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
But I heard the A/T has some lag between gears?
I went to 1 dealer they say it's gonna be 2 months wait for the matte, didn't ask for other colors.
So VT burns more gas than elantra? I thought VT was better?

@MTD im in Hamilton too and I got my 3 hyundais in Burlington. Whose the best guy in there? I know that Italian guy, he was nice buthe retired.
Dan Koz is the guy I have dealt with. Always a positive experience. I bought both my Gen Coupes from him and my Elantra. Performance Hyundai is St Kitts is great too. Bigger, so they have more selection. Got my VT from them.

The DCT in the normal Velo is supposed to be laggy, but I havent heard any complaints about the auto in the VT.

VT wont be better on gas. Its got more power and is slightly heavier. My Elantra typically got around 6.5L/100km while my VT gets around 7.5L/100km.

Shoot me a pm if you want to check mine out. None of the dealers will have any in stock.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I test drove a VT A/T and it was definitely laggy when flooring it and when it did downshift the turbo was not spooling. Other than that the A/T worked really well overall.

The VT is weird because it is not great off the line but is great with roll-on power.

I've driven a few Elantra rentals and they are quicker than you would expect but my VT is way faster. Once you get the VT broken-in and you get the hang of the turbo it is really impressive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts