Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Veloster in the spring of 2020 at about 40k miles and it drove great, never had any problems with it. Around new years 2020-2021 I had the luck of the water pump failing on the highway, leaking fluid on the serpentine belt. This caused the belt to slip off on my commute to work, and happened seemingly out of nowhere at around the 60,000 mile mark. I pulled off the highway and right into a shop to have the belt replaced, where they pointed out the water pump as the culprit.

After the fix the car started squealing now and then, so it seemed like there is was leak from the new pump, or other part of the cooling assembly. I have tried my best to spot the problem but haven't had much luck. The engine light came on for some misfires so I had a full tune up performed. A few days later the head gasket blew.

I have seen that others have had issues with water pumps at around 60,000 miles, so I can believe that. My brother had the gasket plugged with some gasket sealer, but it overheats so I just have it sitting in the driveway right now. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action to fix it, but I am not sure where to even begin. It seems like the root problem has been the cooling system, but at this point, should I replace the entire engine? Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks!

Honestly, I just have really bad luck with used cars. Even when they are as beautiful a car as a Veloster Turbo!

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,805 Posts
Really need to know things like mods on the car, tune in it, plugs, gaps, coils, mileage on everything, oil used, filter used, fuel used, any and all details etc. Much that has to do with any of this can take the engine out. Being a used car you have no clue of the history before that unless you dig a little and even then you will not find everything out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello trdtoy, when I get home I can pull up the latest oil work and tune up information. My best guess is improper gas octane levels (my wife was putting cheap unleaded in it for a few months, ~1000 miles) did the gasket in. As you say, there could have been damage from the previous owner that existed from the beginning, but I don’t have any way to confirm that.

It’s a 2016 Veloster Turbo AT. I bought it at around 50,000 miles and got to 65,000 when the problems started.

The shop said they had problems finding the coils/plugs. Hopefully they found me the right ones, I’ll get the papers out tonight.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,805 Posts
Post that here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts