Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster Rally Edition
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone had any success running an aftermarket upgraded radiator fan setup? (Ex using slim hi-flow fans or race fans from mishimoto) If so, I have some questions 馃ぃ

1. Will an aftermarket fan (like above mentioned) wire up easily to the oem replacement fan control module?

2. If it won't, will using an aftermarket fan and control module and a thermostat throw a code on the ECU?

3. What fan size fits in the oem shroud? Or has anyone ran a dual fan setup?

4. What other cooling system upgrades should I run in conjunction with the fan upgrade? Since I need to do the fan might as well tackle the whole system.

5. Does anyone have recommendations for parts? I love mishimoto but they do not have a specific setup for the VT, only universal kits.

Here's my situation:

My car is a 2016 VT rally edition, injen sri, downpipe, HKS M45XL plugs, Borla exhaust. Car is not under warranty as it has a repaired title, and either way this issue was caused by previous owner's accident so wouldn't be covered anyways. The shop I had do the diagnosis found issues with the fan motor and the control module. The 3-pin harness is super glued in from a shit repair previously and I'm sure it has a broken connection because the fan only comes on half of the time. Power harness is fine. Fuses are good. Relays are good. I did tests myself to double check. My shop will not do repairs on parts I source (because of liability) and the oem parts are too damn expensive. $1200 if I let them do it. So I'm going to do it myself lol.

A lot of people complain about the cooling system on these VTs on the forums but I havent been able to search for someone using an aftermarket setup or how they did it. If I missed a link and I'm repeating an answered topic I am sorry.

The image below is a wire chart for the control module. The 3 pin is damaged. 2 pin is possible damage.
IMG_20201015_120452.jpg

thanksd for any help!

Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT 脳 2
Use OEM replacement(I can get it cheaper than what you mentioned for sure) and install things yourself.

I have upgraded cooling figured out with the oem fan in place with oem ecu control and working on standalone control although reliability may be lower and cost may be higher.

Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 馃か
I used a lighted manual switch on all my cars for the past 25 years on the OEM cooling fans.
Never had an issue with over heating here in the Deep South during the summer.
Keep an eye on the temp indicator and flip the switch when needed. It's never failed yet, even on the drag car from years past.馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔
Good luck.

Registered
I used a lighted manual switch on all my cars for the past 25 years on the OEM cooling fans.
Never had an issue with over heating here in the Deep South during the summer.
Keep an eye on the temp indicator and flip the switch when needed. It's never failed yet, even on the drag car from years past.馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔
Good luck.
Issue with that on the VT is that the coolant temperature reading on the cluster stops around 160掳F just below the halfway point and does not go up again until coolant temperatures are dangerously high. So it needs thermostatic control and at times manual control would also be nice.

Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster Rally Edition
Discussion Starter #5
Issue with that on the VT is that the coolant temperature reading on the cluster stops around 160掳F just below the halfway point and does not go up again until coolant temperatures are dangerously high. So it needs thermostatic control and at times manual control would also be nice.
Then would that mean the oem thermostat is not the ideal way to go? Or is it an issue with the cluster gauge itself just not reading temperature accurately?

Registered
Then would that mean the oem thermostat is not the ideal way to go? Or is it an issue with the cluster gauge itself just not reading temperature accurately?
The oem thermostat is not ideal which is why I sell upgraded ones. This however has nothing to do with this. The issue is the ecu maps that control the cluster reading based on coolant temperature sensor readings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts