Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my tires rotated by the dealer a couple weeks ago and I just checked the tire pressure. All 4 of my tires were at 42psi. The sticker in my driver's side door panel has 33psi as the recommended tire pressure so that is what I set them to. Max pressure listed on the tires say 50psi. Why would the dealer set my tire pressure so hi at 42? I also read in another post that the higher tire pressure better protects the rims...is that why?

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,962 Posts
They did not check the tire pressure most likely or try to set to the psi per the placard on the car. Tire pressure will not protect wheels per se.

Tire pressure is based on the specif Tire used, weight of the car, max speed traveled, and use of the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are your tires the factory ones? 33 psi seems low. 42 psi is higher than what I run but seems reasonable. You will get better mileage with more air in the tires.
Check the sidewalk of your tire and see what the range it recommends there.
I aim to keep mine at 38 psi but during the summer sometimes I'll keep them lower than that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the sidewalk of your tire and see what the range it recommends there.
Please no! The sidewall of the tire only lists the maximum safe pressure for the tire. NEVER go that high.

Look at the placard in the door sill or in the fuel filler door. It will give you the recommended pressure. Use it.

Going higher to get better mileage just wears out the center of your tire. What you gain in fuel costs you lose in faster replacement of your tires.

You can also reference this site: Hyundai Veloster 2019 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

Note that the pressure is listed there in "bar". 2.3 bar equates to 34 psi.

Note also that site isn't perfect. The N calls for different pressures front and rear but the site only shows 2.5 bar.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
N also has higher performance tires on it, lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
N also has higher performance tires on it, lol
Biggest flaw in the N is those crappy P Zero PZ4's. I wish it came with PS4S or even the All Season of the PS4S. As it is, I've got a wheel that is ugly and tires that I can't use. I think I'm going to powder coat the wheels and put some PS4S on them and make them my rain setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts